Diabetes - T1 and T2 and the inappropriate comments made

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes, what it is about that?! I’ve had it since I was 3 so I really don’t know any different, but so many horror stories! Like thanks, I know I can risk losing my eyesight or my feet but I prefer to keep that at the very back of my mind!
Also the comments like “my auntie had diabetes but cured it by eating a spoonful of cinnamon every day”. What. If that’s how it worked, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be sat here, 20+ years later, still having diabetes
I’m sick of explaining to idiots that there is NO CURE. If there was a cure I’d be cured by now. But alright mate, some cinnamon sounds great.

Reactions: 3
I like to remind people that one of the greatest Olympic athletes of all times was type 1 diabetic. Everyone forgets about Sir Steve Redgrave, I remember when he had just won his last gold medal, I wrote to him and told him how much he inspired me. Crazy enough he actually replied!

I think the comment I get the most is, is that the one with too much or too little sugar. I mean that isn't diabetes at all!
As a Type 2 who is not lazy or eating a bad diet (just two of the comments Type 2s often get) and is upset almost daily by media coverage of Type 2s - I would like to mention out that the wonderful Sir Steve is also Type 2. I agree he is a massive inspiration.

Reactions: 2
As a Type 2 who is not lazy or eating a bad diet (just two of the comments Type 2s often get) and is upset almost daily by media coverage of Type 2s - I would like to mention out that the wonderful Sir Steve is also Type 2. I agree he is a massive inspiration.
Yeah, I thought he was T2. I seem to remember a bit of confusion around it because didn't he go on the pump, if I remember correctly?

I mean it's a very complex condition and ripe for misconceptions. But it always seems apparently OK for it to be the butt of jokes or snarky comments.

Reactions: 2
I am type 1 since I was 7 years old. I got super sick, it slowly started and I was given out to by family bc I was so thirsty, too sick to eat, peeing lots & losing weight. When it got so bad I was almost comatoast (sp?) when I was rushed to hospital.
As a diabetic I had to weight my food & count carbs before ever meal. Check my bloods and if they were too high I had to exercise. If I didn't want to eat my dinner, my parents took the orange syringe out of the fridge and threatened me with it. It was such a big deal if I wanted chocolate or anything sweet. In my teens I major reduced my insulin so I could lose weight. If I had of had the freedom to not eat if I wasn't hungry, or not be forced & threatened to eat, then I don't think it would of happened.
I find it so bleeping ironic that I had to do obsessives things like weight & count my food & not eat sugar but OMG how dare I fall into an eating disorder!
In my teens, I tried to kill myself by taking overdoses of insulin. Obvi it didn't work. I have tried multiple times.
Recently (since getting the CGM), I got my bloods to be very good but I also gained a lot of weight, I was at my highest ever. I felt so uncomfortable in my body and I still do. Recently I've just cut my insulin again bc I had cut my cals down to under 600 a day and was still gaining while my blood sugars were good. I just can't deal with it anymore and so I have no choice but to cut the insulin. It has been only few weeks but I've already lost close to a stone. I am dreading my next diabetes appointment but I can't cope with feeling like this and I want to be a weight that makes me happy.
So many times I've had to face ignorant people including doctors & nurses.
One time a co-worker told me (very argumentatively) that I couldn't drink a diet coke bc it had sugar in it.
Another co-worker told me her friend had diabetes and took injections but she was fat so the injections didn't hurt.
A manager said to me after I had requested a day off bc I had a hospital appointment for diabetes, that I never said this in the interview & she was looking down on me while she said this. I told her that I am under no legal obligation to tell them anything and am protected by employment equality law as it is a disability and discrimination is against the law. *Although this law is a good thing, the bad part is most employers will make up other stupid reasons to get rid of you instead of saying it is bc of a disability.
I was telling a nurse who was taking blood about my CGM (she saw it in my arm), just general chit chat. I told her how I have been diabetic since I was 7 and how awesome the CGM is. She said oh yeah you are type 2. I was so hurt, I was & still am (it was only a few months ago) going through a rough time with my weight, diabetes, health in general & depression tbh. I told her what she said is very ignorant and she should know better, not just bc she is a nurse but bc she should have common sense.
Once I was in hospital (MS relapse), and I went hypo, I drink some juice for the hypo, a nurse who knew I was hypo & had gotten me the juice then asked how much insulin I was going to take for the juice. I flipped and told her she was an idiot and explained in detail how diabetes and hypos work. I told her she needs to learn more bc she is a nurse who should know such basic info and I do not trust her with any patients now as she doesn't even know a simple thing. I told her I feared for any patient of hers who would be so sick that they are dependent on her for their insulin and other meds.
In the past I have asked for help but have been fobbed off and told "I have real patients outside" "you'll be fine if you get a boyfriend", these comments are from phycologists & psychiatrists.
There are so many more stories but these are just a few that spring to mind. It is so hurtful and infuriating to deal with ignorant gobshites!
I might sound very angry but it is bc I am.
I am the only 1 in my family that has diabetes. I am also the only 1 in my family who has MS. I don't understand how these genetics work.

I’ve gone from being absolutely healthy with normal blood sugar.
To having a pregnancy where my blood sugar went wild, I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and ended up on insulin and having my baby delivered early due to frequent (very scary) attacks of hypos. This was all in the last year.
Now post pregnancy I’ve just had a pre diabetic result in a recent blood test. So it looks like I am heading towards T2. I must add that I lost weight throughout the pregnancy through following a low sugar diet!
So I’m not T2 but have had my free trial of being T2 and it’s bloody awful. I hate the stereotypes as like others I am in otherwise good health. But most of all I hate that people say it can be cured. As far as I am aware, T2 can go into remission but you otherwise have it for life. Still has to be declared on travel insurance etc. So it really is a life long battle.