Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

abitfairytale

Today we had to have our 13yr old cat put to sleep. We'd had him since he was 8 weeks old (we got him the weekend after we got home from honeymoon).

Our 9yr old daughter appears to be coping well, she wasn't that attached (she's more attached to our younger cat), unless she's hiding it well. However, it's hit myself and my husband a lot harder than expected.

I'm not after advice or such, I just needed to write it down somewhere. He was a house cat so was with us pretty constantly. He could be a git but he was spoilt and very much loved. His kidneys failed him (he'd had urinary problems previously). I just miss him.

And yes I know he was 'just a cat', but he wasn't to us - he was part of our family.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 22

abitfairytale

Thank you all, I truly appreciate your comments. To us pet lovers they are more than a cat or a dog or whatever animal it is, I'm just aware not all see it like that.

I've cried a lot tonight. But also looked through photos and remembered funny escapades. He certainly was a character and I'm determined to remember him that way, and not the illness ravaged cat he'd become. Our younger cat is wandering and letting out the odd yowl, so I think she's looking for him. She's more a solitary soul who preferred feline company to us humans (with the exception of our daughter) so she will certainly miss him a lot. Hopefully, she'll gravitate towards our daughter for comfort.

IMG_20200305_182710_157.jpg

This was Ralph. Named after Ralph Wiggum from the Simpsons but more of a Chief Wiggum before illness took hold šŸ’”šŸ’”šŸ’”

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 17

GiggleBee

VIP Member
They are never 'just a cat.' 5 years ago we brought 2 kittens home and a week later we had to have one put to sleep due to bad pneumonia. We had this cat a week and my heart is still broken over her. Every year on the anniversary of her death I sob my heart out, we recently got a personalised lantern made so we can remember her by ā¤

Im always here if you need to chat, Ive lost 2 cats (including the kitten!) and a dog so ive been through it all.

Reactions: 7

lexle

So sorry for your loss šŸ˜¢ Itā€™s such a painful thing, they are part of the family. Iā€™ve lost 3 cats over the last 8 years, two to old age and my last one unfortunately we think ate or drank something he shouldnā€™t have šŸ˜” I honestly donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever cried so much. All 3 passed away wrapped in a blanket in my arms. It will get easier, I promise. Look at pictures and talk about him. Remember how he had 13 wonderful years with a family who loved him very much ā¤

Reactions: 6

Moe

VIP Member
Today we had to have our 13yr old cat put to sleep. We'd had him since he was 8 weeks old (we got him the weekend after we got home from honeymoon).

Our 9yr old daughter appears to be coping well, she wasn't that attached (she's more attached to our younger cat), unless she's hiding it well. However, it's hit myself and my husband a lot harder than expected.

I'm not after advice or such, I just needed to write it down somewhere. He was a house cat so was with us pretty constantly. He could be a git but he was spoilt and very much loved. His kidneys failed him (he'd had urinary problems previously). I just miss him.

And yes I know he was 'just a cat', but he wasn't to us - he was part of our family.
He was not just a cat he was part of your family. I understand so well. Iā€™ve had lots of animals mostly cats theyā€™ve either just turned up or Iā€™ve adopted. Just remember you gave your dear old boy the best life ever and cry let it out. I know I have started cry walking down the street when Iā€™ve lost one. We love them as family. Sending you love I know how it feels x

Reactions: 6

Mayday

VIP Member
I'm sorry for your loss. It definitely hits hard. I lost both of my childhood dogs (got them when I was 13). One to cancer at the age of 9 and the other I had to put to sleep last year after he began losing control of his back legs. :( I just tried to focus on remembering the positives and when they were healthy, and that putting them to sleep was the best thing for them as I didn't want them to suffer. I know my dad found it helpful to find support groups for rainbow bridge and dogs with cancer when we lost our first dog. I think the strangest part was not having a dog around - you get so used to it that the house starts feeling empty.

• Sad
Reactions: 5

Bec3007

VIP Member
I lost my dog a year and a half ago. She was 13, almost 14 and I adored her more than I could ever describe. Iā€™m still broken to this day which a lot of people donā€™t get, for example if I scroll past a photo I feel myself tearing up. Theyā€™re not just pets, theyā€™re family and itā€™s devastating losing anything you spent everyday with. Sending my love xx

Reactions: 5

I lost my boxer in the summer, it honestly broke me. Hurt way more than the death of any relative or human. I think simply because she was just with me all the time. Was my best little friend too.
I went away for a few days after and it seemed to really help. Still miss her daily. And do not make anyone make you feel she was just a pet.
In a few weeks youā€™ll be able to think of all the happy times more. It really is a rubbish time though. Sorry for the loss of your lovely cat.

Reactions: 4
I'm sorry for your loss. It definitely hits hard. I lost both of my childhood dogs (got them when I was 13). One to cancer at the age of 9 and the other I had to put to sleep last year after he began losing control of his back legs. :( I just tried to focus on remembering the positives and when they were healthy, and that putting them to sleep was the best thing for them as I didn't want them to suffer. I know my dad found it helpful to find support groups for rainbow bridge and dogs with cancer when we lost our first dog. I think the strangest part was not having a dog around - you get so used to it that the house starts feeling empty.
Couldnā€™t agree more on the empty house thing. They literally make a home.

Reactions: 3

LLJ

My cat Kiki passed away last year and it hit me much more than I thought it would. It's such a difficult feeling to process. Lots of love x

Luce0331

VIP Member
So sorry for the loss of your baby šŸˆšŸ’”
My dog had to be put to sleep last June due to mammory cancer and it was the worst pain Iā€™ve ever felt šŸ˜” I still miss her so much but it does get easier x

conrea37

VIP Member
No cat is "just a cat" so don't feel wrong for mourning. I am sorry for your loss.
I almost had to take a day off work when I lost 2 cats in the space of 10 days.

• Sad

Trixabellee9393

Hey Iā€™m so sorry for your loss :( the way you are feeling is normal. I would be broken hearted if one of my cats died. I have two. There only two years Old so hopefully it wonā€™t be for many years but I often wonder how I would cope. I love them so so much and they are very spoilt. All my love šŸ’“šŸ’“ xxxxxxx

Lars Guinard

VIP Member
I am so sorry to hear about your cat X
House cats especially seem to be the ones that just know they are top of the family heirachy. Maybe your daughter will talk about your cat more in time, talk about memories or how she feels. My children all reacted differently when we lost our cat and I just let them dictate how they wanted to approach things.
You get so used to familial routines that it can catch you off guard, I just cried a lot and sometimes that is what you need.
Sending you love X

EiiiEiiiO

Iā€™m so sorry! Itā€™s not ā€œjust a catā€, he was family. We get so much from our furbabies and itā€™s devastating when we lose them. Sending many hugs and kisses ā¤

~vix~83~

VIP Member
So sorry for your lost.
No pet is never just a pet.
We lost our sweet baby girl Sasha at just 7 yrs old to a sudden illness. She spent her last few days at the vets and it breaks my heart to think of her all alone she was such a sensitive cat and hated new people. We spent 2 hours with her before we said good bye and that day is still with me like it was yesterday. I will always remember the moment the vet opened the door n said Sashaā€™s mum n dad, her little face lit up n Iā€™ve never ran so fast. We canā€™t have children and she was our baby. I want another one but my husband isnā€™t too keen yet but says when the right baby comes along.
thinking of you xx

Reactions: 2

Ambrosie

VIP Member
My kitty died recently at 14. It really does break your heart. I just cried reading Ricky Gervias say his cat has just died. I still expect my cat to come racing when i open the fridge door

Meringue22

VIP Member

Aw he wasnā€™t just a cat! We love our pets. My cat can be an absolute little shit but Iā€™d be devastated if anything happened to him. What youā€™re feeling is completely normal x