Deactivating social media..

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello,

I’m hoping I can get some advice. I have FB but that’s only used for keeping up to date with local news and companies that advertise through FB. I don’t have my profile visible to anyone.

I’m trying to limit my screen time as I could scroll through Instagram for hours just looking at different things. I have deactivated my profile in the past before Christmas but then re activated it again. Now I’m wanting to kick it all together with IG and not be tempted with going back into it. Just hoping for some advice from those that have successfully deleted it and not gone back.

I’ve found it really dips my mood mentally bring on it.

Thank you so much for any advice and guidance. ☺

Reactions: 2
I deleted by FB account somewhere 2016 and never looked back. I’d been in it since the early days 2008ish. For me the turning point was when my boss tried to befriend me on it. I like to keep work and private life separate and there was nothing of the coolness left in FB but that point. The likes mindfuck was doing my head in.

Instagram was in a way easier to delete- I was on/off it 2021 till last autumn. Like you say the endless scrolling and ads became a chore. I did go through a few stages for taking 2-3 week breaks from it by deleting the app off my phone. Eventually I just deleted my account altogether.

I would suggest to think of your ‘why’ and figure out what that is which makes moving on my easier. Think of what you gain out of SM and what the downsides are and whether one outweighs the other. Take care x

Reactions: 6
I deactivated Facebook and instagram from the new year just for January and it’s done absolute wonders for my mental health, I don’t even feel the need to get either of them back and will continue to be off social media for the foreseeable. I use TikTok now just for a bit of entertainment in the evenings if I’m bored but honestly it’s been great. Feel far more present in life and like I’m doing things for me rather than for social media (sounds ridiculous but have grown up in the putting everything on Facebook turned insta age and it’s wild how much it affects the brain)

I deleted twitter or X in the last general election and have never gone back so I’m hoping it’ll be the same for fb and insta xx

Reactions: 7
I deactivated Facebook and instagram from the new year just for January and it’s done absolute wonders for my mental health, I don’t even feel the need to get either of them back and will continue to be off social media for the foreseeable. I use TikTok now just for a bit of entertainment in the evenings if I’m bored but honestly it’s been great. Feel far more present in life and like I’m doing things for me rather than for social media (sounds ridiculous but have grown up in the putting everything on Facebook turned insta age and it’s wild how much it affects the brain)

I deleted twitter or X in the last general election and have never gone back so I’m hoping it’ll be the same for fb and insta xx
Hi lovely,

I am exactly the same, coming up 30 and feel old before my time with the thoughts that putting EVERYTHING on SM is just ridiculous. The past Christmas I flicked through a few accounts that just uploaded every single thing and you think like really that’s your priority right now 🤔 I deleted everything off my IG when my little one was around 3 as I know it’s set to private but you’ve really no idea what goes on without you knowing.
I am hoping to stay off it altogether, I know it’s really someone’s highlight reel but that doesn’t help when you’ve had a crappy day mentally and feel burn out from parenting. I’m hoping if I can start reading again it’ll help or I usually just browse here, look at holidays or read blogs for upcoming holiday plans. Plus I’m a student nurse so you’d really think I have no time to doom scroll IG😆
---
I deleted by FB account somewhere 2016 and never looked back. I’d been in it since the early days 2008ish. For me the turning point was when my boss tried to befriend me on it. I like to keep work and private life separate and there was nothing of the coolness left in FB but that point. The likes mindfuck was doing my head in.

Instagram was in a way easier to delete- I was on/off it 2021 till last autumn. Like you say the endless scrolling and ads became a chore. I did go through a few stages for taking 2-3 week breaks from it by deleting the app off my phone. Eventually I just deleted my account altogether.

I would suggest to think of your ‘why’ and figure out what that is which makes moving on my easier. Think of what you gain out of SM and what the downsides are and whether one outweighs the other. Take care x
Oh gosh yes never mix the two!
I have no actual reason as I never post anything on there anymore, if I want to share something like a memory or anything I have everyone’s number I’d possibly want to send too (if that’s makes sense) and they do the same.. I think you just get into the habit like first thing in the morning, last thing at night etc.. I need to start a new habit like maybe reading a book, using the 30 mins of scrolling to watch an episode of something I enjoy) or just being up before everyone else to have a hot coffee and set myself up for the day.. x

Reactions: 4
Hi lovely,

I am exactly the same, coming up 30 and feel old before my time with the thoughts that putting EVERYTHING on SM is just ridiculous. The past Christmas I flicked through a few accounts that just uploaded every single thing and you think like really that’s your priority right now 🤔 I deleted everything off my IG when my little one was around 3 as I know it’s set to private but you’ve really no idea what goes on without you knowing.
I am hoping to stay off it altogether, I know it’s really someone’s highlight reel but that doesn’t help when you’ve had a crappy day mentally and feel burn out from parenting. I’m hoping if I can start reading again it’ll help or I usually just browse here, look at holidays or read blogs for upcoming holiday plans. Plus I’m a student nurse so you’d really think I have no time to doom scroll IG😆
---

Oh gosh yes never mix the two!
I have no actual reason as I never post anything on there anymore, if I want to share something like a memory or anything I have everyone’s number I’d possibly want to send too (if that’s makes sense) and they do the same.. I think you just get into the habit like first thing in the morning, last thing at night etc.. I need to start a new habit like maybe reading a book, using the 30 mins of scrolling to watch an episode of something I enjoy) or just being up before everyone else to have a hot coffee and set myself up for the day.. x
Haha we must be living the same life as I’m nearing 30 and a nurse too and also decided to stop posting my little ones when my eldest was around 3! It is wild to me I used to post every single detail of my life on social media as a teenager and even in my early 20s when my eldest was born! I value privacy now so much, especially with the kids and now to be honest I’m just not interested in what other people are up to and especially how it effects my mental health when I’m knee deep in parenting, financially ok but still can’t afford a fancy day out every day of the week/brand new clothes/nice things for the kids 24/7 and everyone seems to be doing this that and the other and seemingly giving their kids every second of their time when I’m struggling to split myself in 100 different ways and living off 5p some days! Honestly in the long term you’ll feel a huge weight gone xx

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Haha we must be living the same life as I’m nearing 30 and a nurse too and also decided to stop posting my little ones when my eldest was around 3! It is wild to me I used to post every single detail of my life on social media as a teenager and even in my early 20s when my eldest was born! I value privacy now so much, especially with the kids and now to be honest I’m just not interested in what other people are up to and especially how it effects my mental health when I’m knee deep in parenting, financially ok but still can’t afford a fancy day out every day of the week/brand new clothes/nice things for the kids 24/7 and everyone seems to be doing this that and the other and seemingly giving their kids every second of their time when I’m struggling to split myself in 100 different ways and living off 5p some days! Honestly in the long term you’ll feel a huge weight gone xx
Honestly I can absolutely understand this! I value my privacy even with family or friends too, those that post their ins and outs of their relationship etc, I just couldn’t. I had terrible PND after my little boy and it was heightened by social media, those that had their own babies the same age I used to compare that I couldn’t afford and didn’t have the time to be getting my nails done, couldn’t splash out on shopping trips weekly, didn’t dress my baby in really pricey brands etc. now looking back I was absolutely fine no need to compare and feel rubbish. My baby was healthy, happy and thriving.. that’s what should have mattered. However I was so wrapped up with comparisons and social media that I couldn’t see that. That’s when I knew it had to go and eventually it stopped as I didn’t want my little one on there anymore.

It’s so refreshing and just knowing someone else has gone through that/going through that is the reason I prefer posting here, it feels real and more transparent than SM ever could be.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I came off all social media for 5 years. I was going through a bad time with my mental health and just deactivated it all. After so long I just didn't care about it anymore. I only came back on it all last year when I became single and could be in contact with more people. I think it did me so good at the time and never expected it to be for as long as it was. It also amazes me how many people don't bother with you if you not friends with them on a social media platform! I never got invited to things like I did but it shows you your real friends have your phone number so does it really matter 🤷🏻

I deleted social media about 4 years ago but would still occasionally redownload. About a year and a half ago I deactivated all of my accounts apart from Facebook which I just use a little so I don't fall totally out of touch with the world lol, but I don't ever post on it. Best decision ever. My partner did the same too as social media early on in our relationship caused a handful of arguments. So much happier without it all, I don't miss it in the slightest anymore. There comes a point where you're just not bothered about seeing what people you went to school with and haven't seen since are doing with their lives.

I made my Facebook fully private, no profile pic, anonymous name etc years ago. I pretty much keep it deactivated now, the only reason I don't fully delete is I have some of my sons baby photos on there. I know i can probably download them, and will at some point.
Also deleted Instagram at the same time.
I do have an Instagram account now but I don't post anything and follow a few accounts mostly food related 😅 sone make up / skin care no one I know in real life.

I deleted all social media about a year ago and haven't looked back since best thing I could of done tbh
it was really dragging me down, I initially deleted it all when yet another relative/friend had a baby and i couldn't torture myself seeing all the photos anymore so I hit delete I can't explain how much of a difference it has made to me

I deleted most of all mine a while back, I had twitter, mastodon, blue sky, FB, threads an insta, an I found myself constantly thinking of what to post an also was wasting way too much screen time on them

I've kept my FB because my work is on there but I've really limited who I have on it now, it's literally only a handful of friends an ones that don't bring my mental health down, I've also really limited who I follow on insta an have managed to get the algorithm to only show me craft things so am not seeing rubbish

It's made such a difference I feel to my own mental health not having them all (apart from the two) the absolute garbage I'd see on them was a real downer for me an I also feel it's stopped my screen time, I've been doing a weekend once a month as well where I have 0 screen time so no phone/TV/gaming an its made such a difference as well, for one weekend I can just ignore everything

Reactions: 5
I deleted my Facebook in 2016 after a personal breakdown (had been on it since 2007). It was one of the small things that really got me to a better place mentally. Shedding all those old ghosts was LIBERATING! Privacy is such a valuable thing to have it feels crazy to me that people will give it away for the sake of a stranger's validation.
I do have an Instagram for my business, but don't share anything personal and rarely post on it, my only weakness now is Instagram reels, they are stupidly addictive 😭

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Thankfully I never got into Instagram - too old to appreciate photos of myself. 😉

I was an early adopter of FB and back in the day you could order your feed by “most recent post” and see everything anyone had posted. These days it’s just junk and it’s a bleeping mausoleum- “it’s so and so’s birthday” and I’m thinking: it’s really not, she died In 2012. 😬 What’s the etiquette for unfriending dead people?

In a nutshell, I have no apps on my phone and I bookmark a few FB groups on my laptop.

It does mean that people get inordinately annoyed that you didn’t see their post 3 weeks ago last Tuesday about the school play practice date changing or that a woman you knew 20 years ago is in a wheelchair… but having processed the guilt I figure if it’s genuinely important they’ll call me.

I do find tattle quite addictive though. 😳

Hello,

I’m hoping I can get some advice. I have FB but that’s only used for keeping up to date with local news and companies that advertise through FB. I don’t have my profile visible to anyone.

I’m trying to limit my screen time as I could scroll through Instagram for hours just looking at different things. I have deactivated my profile in the past before Christmas but then re activated it again. Now I’m wanting to kick it all together with IG and not be tempted with going back into it. Just hoping for some advice from those that have successfully deleted it and not gone back.

I’ve found it really dips my mood mentally bring on it.

Thank you so much for any advice and guidance. ☺
Going through the same thing ☺ I've scheduled it for deleting completely but keep having doubts. I've deactivated and reactivated it so many times but am pushing myself to delete altogether now. I don't really post on there or interact that much with people as I keep in touch with those via WhatsApp. It does no good for my mental health. Always feel better when I'm off it but feels hard to let go in a strange way. I just end up mindlessly scrolling which makes me feel worse.

• Heart
I’ve been thinking about this for a while too! I don’t post that much anymore, rarely do stories but I’m definitely guilty of sometimes going to certain places for picture opportunities etc.
I compare myself so much to other people on there as well, like the girls who are stunning and seem to live dream lives.

My boyfriend has stopped going on social media completely, he just doesn’t care and doesn’t miss it at all. I envy him because I know I’d struggle!

I’ve been thinking about this for a while too! I don’t post that much anymore, rarely do stories but I’m definitely guilty of sometimes going to certain places for picture opportunities etc.
I compare myself so much to other people on there as well, like the girls who are stunning and seem to live dream lives.

My boyfriend has stopped going on social media completely, he just doesn’t care and doesn’t miss it at all. I envy him because I know I’d struggle!
I could have written this post about myself too! I found after having my little boy I’d be comparing myself constantly to those who were out on play dates with tons of friends, didn’t struggle with their changing body shape, seemed to be keeping on top of their housework etc just fine and never seemed to have a bad day 😒

I’ve managed to deactivate my profile and stay off it completely, I don’t know how I now found the time to go on it 🤣 trying my hardest with Instagram as I don’t have anything on FB apart from follow a few local farm pages that we visit regularly. Trying my hardest 💪

• Heart
Going through the same thing ☺ I've scheduled it for deleting completely but keep having doubts. I've deactivated and reactivated it so many times but am pushing myself to delete altogether now. I don't really post on there or interact that much with people as I keep in touch with those via WhatsApp. It does no good for my mental health. Always feel better when I'm off it but feels hard to let go in a strange way. I just end up mindlessly scrolling which makes me feel worse.
This is exactly how I feel but haven’t been able to find the words. I find myself mindlessly scrolling which has a detrimental impact on my mental health and I feel so much better when I’m not scrolling yet I can’t seem to let it go. When I am scrolling I find it boring, I don’t care about anyone’s baby updates or general life updates yet sometimes can spend hours scrolling through rubbish. My screen time is shocking, sometimes I do 35hrs over the week on social media which is more time than I’m at my job. I work 30 hrs a week with a day release for study, so I am doing exams, I’m also a parent and have my own home, I haven’t got the time to be scrolling the way I do. I seen an article today about popcorn brain and it’s me. It’s a vicious cycle I’m keen to break. Is cold turkey best? I’ve only ever done a few days away from social media. I value my privacy so much and I’m chasing the freedom

Hello. I want to delete my instagram, or at the very least delete the app from my phone. I've done it a few times but only ever lasted a day or two. How can I prevent myself from reinstalling? Has anyone got any willpower tips - or maybe any other strategies?! I'd be all ears. I sometimes waste HOURS scrolling on insta and it's just such a horrendous waste of time and I don't want to do it any more. But I'm finding it very difficult to stop

Reactions: 1
Hello. I want to delete my instagram, or at the very least delete the app from my phone. I've done it a few times but only ever lasted a day or two. How can I prevent myself from reinstalling? Has anyone got any willpower tips - or maybe any other strategies?! I'd be all ears. I sometimes waste HOURS scrolling on insta and it's just such a horrendous waste of time and I don't want to do it any more. But I'm finding it very difficult to stop
Not sure how practical this would be for you, but I found one of the easiest ways to take a break from instagram was to delete the app from my phone at the start of a holiday/ even if just a staycation. If you tell yourself you are simply doing an experiment/ having a breather it’s easier to resist the initial temptation. Keep yourself busy with other activities for a day or two and suddenly you realise days are gone without you thinking about scrolling. It took a few of these 1-3 week breaks from the app for me to finally deactivate my account.

Not sure how practical this would be for you, but I found one of the easiest ways to take a break from instagram was to delete the app from my phone at the start of a holiday/ even if just a staycation. If you tell yourself you are simply doing an experiment/ having a breather it’s easier to resist the initial temptation. Keep yourself busy with other activities for a day or two and suddenly you realise days are gone without you thinking about scrolling. It took a few of these 1-3 week breaks from the app for me to finally deactivate my account.
Thank you - I do actually have a short holiday coming up so could feasibly delete it before I go away and try and break the habit that way. I've a lot of good books I want to read so perhaps I'll just divert my attention when I feel the need to scroll.

• Heart