Daydreaming!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi everyone.

Just wondering if anyone else finds themselves daydreaming constantly all day every day? I’ve found a new drama on YouTube that’s so good but it’s all I think about morning noon and night, daydreaming about myself in the drama/romantic scenarios. 😪 I’ve found something called maladaptive daydreaming and I think it’s what I have...it’s got to the point where I’m sad to come out my daydreams and into reality. It’s getting obsessive and too much but I can’t stop 😪 I’ve always had a strong imagination but it’s time for me to admit lockdown is finally getting to me and it’s gone way too far. Just looking for some support x

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I am such a daydreamer, I always have been since childhood.
I daydream about things in my life and I daydream about hypothetical,made up lives , like parallel universe type things .

My daydreaming has got worse in lockdown cos I'm not out and about to fill my mind with anything else.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I used to have similar daydreams when I was younger, and I've occasionally retreated into them when I've gone through periods of depression. It's a type of disassociation. I spoke about it with my GP, and she said it was closely linked to OCD and depression. Being on prozac helped to control the urge a little, and staying busy so I could try and 'control' them helped. But I appreciate this would be much harder with lockdown.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hi everyone.

Just wondering if anyone else finds themselves daydreaming constantly all day every day? I’ve found a new drama on YouTube that’s so good but it’s all I think about morning noon and night, daydreaming about myself in the drama/romantic scenarios. 😪 I’ve found something called maladaptive daydreaming and I think it’s what I have...it’s got to the point where I’m sad to come out my daydreams and into reality. It’s getting obsessive and too much but I can’t stop 😪 I’ve always had a strong imagination but it’s time for me to admit lockdown is finally getting to me and it’s gone way too far. Just looking for some support x

I feel the same, again I have always been a day dreamer, to the point of completely blocking everything out that is going on around me. I have been watching Live PD on YouTube and have been day dreaming about one of the cops off the show, that at the moment I would rather stay single and be happy with my day dreams than an actual real relationship. That may change when lockdown is over and things open up, I just think it feels safe uncomplicated and light hearted🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Yes I have been day dreaming my whole life! I realised this was a bit of a problem at school when I'd spend my lessons daydreaming rather than listening. I have rarely been 'present' if you like....

More recently I realised the daydreaming is making me unhappy and I've been ruminating rather than happy day dreaming (going over old arguments/ thinking about a nasty situation at work 10 years ago etc). It then feels like it's really happened so I feel down.

I am looking into mindfulness at the moment and this seems to help so literally pulling your brain back to the present.

• Heart
Thankyou for sharing all your experiences! Glad to know I’m not alone ❤ Maybe I’m being too hard on myself/overthinking, I know I’m allowed to daydream but sometimes I feel guilty for doing it, and if I find out an actor is married or whatever I feel guilty fantasising about them!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
For my whole life, I've been a daydreamer. I actually enjoy it most of the time but it can become quite problematic when I'm fixated on one thing and obsessively daydreaming about it. I totally relate!

Try distract yourself with other things, something that requires focus so you can't wander off into thought.

• Heart
For my whole life, I've been a daydreamer. I actually enjoy it most of the time but it can become quite problematic when I'm fixated on one thing and obsessively daydreaming about it. I totally relate!

Try distract yourself with other things, something that requires focus so you can't wander off into thought.
It’s hard because during the week I’m totally on my own x

It’s hard because during the week I’m totally on my own x
You don't have much to do?
I'm usually focused on studying, even though I zone out occasionally it holds my attention. If there's anything you want to learn, there is that.
Try getting up and moving around when you start daydreaming, maybe do a bit of exercise or some cleaning whilst singing to some music?
Read a book, play a game that requires attention and focus, anything that'll just take you out that moment. Definitely try some mindfulness exercises too, I found meditation somewhat helpful in the past.

I have found daydreaming impacts me so negatively sometimes, to the point I've considered seeing a doctor! I get so wrapped up in my imagination, and always have done so it's a very long-term habit for me too. Maladaptive daydreaming can be a coping mechanism, as someone with other mh issues I always associate it with that but it can be a standalone disorder in itself that could require some support to deal with.

You don't have much to do?
I'm usually focused on studying, even though I zone out occasionally it holds my attention. If there's anything you want to learn, there is that.
Try getting up and moving around when you start daydreaming, maybe do a bit of exercise or some cleaning whilst singing to some music?
Read a book, play a game that requires attention and focus, anything that'll just take you out that moment. Definitely try some mindfulness exercises too, I found meditation somewhat helpful in the past.

I have found daydreaming impacts me so negatively sometimes, to the point I've considered seeing a doctor! I get so wrapped up in my imagination, and always have done so it's a very long-term habit for me too. Maladaptive daydreaming can be a coping mechanism, as someone with other mh issues I always associate it with that but it can be a standalone disorder in itself that could require some support to deal with.
I have a full time job but the work is quite monotonous and I’m so used to doing it now I can do my tasks without much thought! I do listen to music but I find that sends me further into my fantasy world. It’s definitely a coping mechanism, I’m struggling so much right now I’ve had too much time to think in lockdown about all the stuff that’s happened to me in my life and it’s hard to admit that things have effected me more than I thought they had...I do have counselling but haven’t been able to go for months because of lockdown.

• Heart
I have a full time job but the work is quite monotonous and I’m so used to doing it now I can do my tasks without much thought! I do listen to music but I find that sends me further into my fantasy world. It’s definitely a coping mechanism, I’m struggling so much right now I’ve had too much time to think in lockdown about all the stuff that’s happened to me in my life and it’s hard to admit that things have effected me more than I thought they had...I do have counselling but haven’t been able to go for months because of lockdown.
Same!! Even when I'm at work I just go into autopilot and start daydreaming. Yeah, maybe music wasn't the best suggestion I sure do zone out a lot when listening to music. 😭 It's kinda tough because I have the same problem, I just do manage to fill a fair chunk of time with studies which thankfully keep my mind occupied for a bit. I'll be honest though I do just live with it, despite it definitely causing me issues as I'll daydream every scenario in a thousand ways and get disappointed when life isn't like that.. which sounds kinda crazy but maybe you can relate.

However, on top of daydreaming, seems you may be suffering from depression. Things from your past are affecting you and they need to be dealt with in whatever way possible, and you're overall just not having a good time at the moment.
Have you had no contact from counselling at all during lockdown? Are they able to do telephone appts?
Even give your GP a call and explain your situation, it's possible something like antidepressants or anti-anxiety medication could help and GP's can prescribe them for you. Since your daydreaming is becoming more obsessive it could be an option worth exploring.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.

Same!! Even when I'm at work I just go into autopilot and start daydreaming. Yeah, maybe music wasn't the best suggestion I sure do zone out a lot when listening to music. 😭 It's kinda tough because I have the same problem, I just do manage to fill a fair chunk of time with studies which thankfully keep my mind occupied for a bit. I'll be honest though I do just live with it, despite it definitely causing me issues as I'll daydream every scenario in a thousand ways and get disappointed when life isn't like that.. which sounds kinda crazy but maybe you can relate.

However, on top of daydreaming, seems you may be suffering from depression. Things from your past are affecting you and they need to be dealt with in whatever way possible, and you're overall just not having a good time at the moment.
Have you had no contact from counselling at all during lockdown? Are they able to do telephone appts?
Even give your GP a call and explain your situation, it's possible something like antidepressants or anti-anxiety medication could help and GP's can prescribe them for you. Since your daydreaming is becoming more obsessive it could be an option worth exploring.

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.
Thanks for your kind reply ❤ My counsellor does phone appts but I don’t like doing that, I prefer face to face. Maybe it’s just a phase because I’m feeling sad atm 😔

• Heart
I do this all of the time. I really want to move so I daydream about a new house and even all of the boring stuff like actually moving, unpacking and decorating. I also create scenarios kind of like a parallel universe, sometimes romantic ones. I do this when I go to bed too, that is how I get to sleep.

Reactions: 5
I do this all of the time. I really want to move so I daydream about a new house and even all of the boring stuff like actually moving, unpacking and decorating. I also create scenarios kind of like a parallel universe, sometimes romantic ones. I do this when I go to bed too, that is how I get to sleep.
Mine keep me up at night lol if I could decide what to dream I’d be fine haha but I have to imagine it while I’m awake otherwise there’s no guarantee 😅

• Heart
Mine keep me up at night lol if I could decide what to dream I’d be fine haha but I have to imagine it while I’m awake otherwise there’s no guarantee 😅
yeah sometimes stuff gets too detailed for me to fall asleep so I have to change it. Can’t say it interferes with my life massively so if it is affecting you then maybe it is stress making things worse.

Thanks for your kind reply ❤ My counsellor does phone appts but I don’t like doing that, I prefer face to face. Maybe it’s just a phase because I’m feeling sad atm 😔
Yeah it's not the same is it, hopefully they'll start doing them again soon. I've had a couple of my appointments changed back to face to face recently so hopefully not much longer!

Could well be a phase, but if it persists even when you start feeling a bit better definitely look at addressing it. Lots of love to you hun hope you're feeling better in yourself soon. 💖

• Heart
Yeah it's not the same is it, hopefully they'll start doing them again soon. I've had a couple of my appointments changed back to face to face recently so hopefully not much longer!

Could well be a phase, but if it persists even when you start feeling a bit better definitely look at addressing it. Lots of love to you hun hope you're feeling better in yourself soon. 💖
I feel a bit better today, listening only to happy music and I think I’m going to have a takeaway for tea x

• Heart
I was always a daydreamer. Not as much these days but, yes, I was always imagining all kinds of romantic or dramatic scenarios. I'd often play out these daydreams in my head while listening to music. Certain songs would be the soundtrack to certain daydreams.