Dangerous Dog Breeds #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Last thread here
---
Further details announced today of the XL Bully ban along with published guidance

American bully XLs added to list of banned dogs in England and Wales https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67273889

Key points

- From 1 February 2024 it will be illegal to own one in England and Wales unless owners have successfully applied for it to be exempt. To do this, owners have to apply to register their pets on the Index of Exempted Dogs. This is subject to a £92.40 application fee, to cover administration costs.

- There will be a longer deadline for owners to ensure the dogs are neutered and microchipped.

- From 31 December 2023 it will be against the law to sell, abandon, breed from or give away an American bully XL, or have one in public without a lead or muzzle.

-If your dog is less than one year old on 31 January 2024, it must be neutered by 31 December next year. If your dog is older than one year old on 31 January 2024, it must be neutered by 30 June.

Reactions: 9
Anyone who bred any recently and now have pregnant ones better book in for a spay abort asap otherwise they’ll end up with puppies they’d have to register to keep. Even ones already born and people are trying to sell now will struggle to sell. Any puppies born Saturday or before week would just about be able to be sold at 8 weeks before the rules start (although who’d have one now).
I’m sure there will be a mass amount abandoned now and rescues will try and rehome a lot before the rules playing on the public saying they’ll have to be put to sleep if someone doesn’t take them

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I agree with what Cabal has been posting about the legislation being inadequate in regards to breeds but we're dealing with a dysfunctional Government here. I'm surprised they've even managed this bit of narrow legislation tbh.

There was an article in the DM yesterday about a Rottweiler jumping out of a window and landing on someone below seriously injuring them.
My first thought sadly was "crikey they've learned how to fly now".

Reactions: 4
Official government guidance here for XL Bully owners

I like to see the reaction on social media. I thought this was an interesting comment. That responsible dog owners would not own an XL bully in the first place. Maybe a few exceptions but on the whole I possibly agree?

CBED3BDE-D759-43B9-9A5C-2D4AFBEBB687.jpeg

---
Ooof they are offering compensation towards costs if you give up your dog to be euthanised. Controversial.

5A49D4B7-2B8E-4106-A5DE-A6DB6433ED09.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 11

I like to see the reaction on social media. I thought this was an interesting comment. That responsible dog owners would not own an XL bully in the first place. Maybe a few exceptions but on the whole I possibly agree?

View attachment 2542831
---
Oooh they are offering compensation towards costs if you give up your dog to be euthanised. Controversial.

View attachment 2542836
Tbf at the end of the day the majority of these people would’ve got the dogs before this law was even mentioned so I don’t see too much issue with the compensation. Especially as the euthanasia cost plus cremation will probably be over the amount they can claim. Hopefully the form won’t be complicated and add a lot of work onto vets as they’ll already now have an increased work load from the euthanasias and neutering the law will bring
---
Unless I missed another announcement. All XL bully owners can move to Scotland since they haven’t banned them??

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Tbf at the end of the day the majority of these people would’ve got the dogs before this law was even mentioned so I don’t see too much issue with the compensation. Especially as the euthanasia cost plus cremation will probably be over the amount they can claim. Hopefully the form won’t be complicated and add a lot of work onto vets as they’ll already now have an increased work load from the euthanasias and neutering the law will bring
---
Unless I missed another announcement. All XL bully owners can move to Scotland since they haven’t banned them??
I had my beloved 18 year old cat put to sleep with a communal cremation 3 weeks ago. It cost £199.95. So the £200 won't nearly cover the cost of euthanasing a 5 stone dog.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 10

View attachment 2542831
---
Ooof they are offering compensation towards costs if you give up your dog to be euthanised. Controversial.

View attachment 2542836
I had my beloved 18 year old cat put to sleep with a communal cremation 3 weeks ago. It cost £199.95. So the £200 won't nearly cover the cost of euthanasing a 5 stone dog.
I don’t think they are paying people to euthanise their dogs, more so that they are contributing to the cost of doing so.

Reactions: 2
I don’t think they are paying people to euthanise their dogs, more so that they are contributing to the cost of doing so.
Yeah I’ve seen people going crazy about this on social media saying that the government are paying people to kill their dogs. Right or wrong on the euthanasia side (how else can they get rid of a breed I guess), they have put something in place that means that people can’t go crazy saying that they can’t afford it. And a lot of those people, let’s face it, fit into the demographic of the people that are the bad owners. And I say that as somebody that grew up on council estates with a parent that lived her life on benefits and basically doing benefit fraud. It absolutely is true as harsh as it sounds. Of course not across the board, but it’s more likely. And I am an animal lover.

It’s also the same people going mad about this on social media, that are saying chihuahuas are more aggressive. I don’t remember the last time a 5lb dog was able to do serious damage to anything but its own shadow.

• Sad
Reactions: 15
Yeah I’ve seen people going crazy about this on social media saying that the government are paying people to kill their dogs. Right or wrong on the euthanasia side (how else can they get rid of a breed I guess), they have put something in place that means that people can’t go crazy saying that they can’t afford it. And a lot of those people, let’s face it, fit into the demographic of the people that are the bad owners. And I say that as somebody that grew up on council estates with a parent that lived her life on benefits and basically doing benefit fraud. It absolutely is true as harsh as it sounds. Of course not across the board, but it’s more likely. And I am an animal lover.

It’s also the same people going mad about this on social media, that are saying chihuahuas are more aggressive. I don’t remember the last time a 5lb dog was able to do serious damage to anything but its own shadow.
It’s because people are completely delusional and don’t want to face the facts. I’ve been the biggest dog lover all my life, had multiple different breeds from Jack Russell’s to collies and retrievers and spaniels. I used to live somewhere which unfortunately had a few estates near where lots of those type of people lived. Honestly when an XL bully came towards me on my own when I was walking my little spaniel, I was actually terrified. Thats what a lot of the owners want though, they want people to be scared of them! The power and the damage that those dogs can do (that sadly we’ve all heard about) is unprecedented.

I can’t stand the government but at least they are taking action on this, how many more people do we have to read about being ripped to shreds?

• Heart
Reactions: 19
They’re still considering it but nothing concrete yet, though I wish they would hurry up and ban them here.

This happened not very far from where I live. I feel so sorry for the poor little dog that was killed, but it could have been the 2 year old granddaughter or the lady herself. 😟

• Sad
Reactions: 3
It’s because people are completely delusional and don’t want to face the facts. I’ve been the biggest dog lover all my life, had multiple different breeds from Jack Russell’s to collies and retrievers and spaniels. I used to live somewhere which unfortunately had a few estates near where lots of those type of people lived. Honestly when an XL bully came towards me on my own when I was walking my little spaniel, I was actually terrified. Thats what a lot of the owners want though, they want people to be scared of them! The power and the damage that those dogs can do (that sadly we’ve all heard about) is unprecedented.

I can’t stand the government but at least they are taking action on this, how many more people do we have to read about being ripped to shreds?
Yeah and people saying it’s not the dogs it’s the owners are missing the point so so badly. ‘Punish the owners not the breed’ yeah so just lock up the owners one by one, after the events have happened???? Absolute nut jobs.

• Heart
I don't want to sound negative but I get the distinct feeling this monster dog attacks situation is going to get worse not better.
Just reading between the lines. I can't quantify my concern empirically but it's a strong irrational hunch. These are rarely wrong for me.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I don't want to sound negative but I get the distinct feeling this monster dog attacks situation is going to get worse not better.
Just reading between the lines. I can't quantify my concern empirically but it's a strong irrational hunch. These are rarely wrong for me.
One of my first thoughts was there will be a lot of people that decide they just won’t walk their dogs to avoid all the rules that go along side with that. And then those dogs have all that pent up energy… my in laws have a staff that is never walked and she is bleeping loopy because of it. Just runs round in circles in the garden

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I just got into an argument with someone on TikTok who said she felt safer with an XL bully than a Chihuahua. I told her that Chihuahuas have never killed anyone, and she said she had no doubt Chihuahuas were harder to fight off ☠ you can’t argue with stupid.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
I just got into an argument with someone on TikTok who said she felt safer with an XL bully than a Chihuahua. I told her that Chihuahuas have never killed anyone, and she said she had no doubt Chihuahuas were harder to fight off ☠ you can’t argue with stupid.
this argument is so stupid, seen it loads recently, you can boot a chihuahua across the room basically 🤭🤭 not heard about them ripping a grown man to shreds either 😑

Reactions: 10
Watching some tiktok live of someone who has American bulldog x cane corso pups. Says they aren’t XL bully’s so won’t be banned. Pretty sure they’ll still fit within the description of an XL bully, whenever anyone mentions this she blocks them 😅

Reactions: 5
this argument is so stupid, seen it loads recently, you can boot a chihuahua across the room basically 🤭🤭 not heard about them ripping a grown man to shreds either 😑
These comparisons are bonkers. You could easily prize a chihuahuas jaws apart, they have the weakest jaw pressure of all dogs. Xl bullies jaw strength is phenomenal, something like 305 psi. Good luck with prising that apart. They are bred to bite down and hold on.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.