dandruff...

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
super embarrassing to be honest but I literally used head and shoulders once like 1 year ago and it literally gave me dandruff and ive tried every brand of shampoo and conditioner and it will not go its actually got worse and im so insecure about it does anyone have any tips or advice or where ti get help for this as I feel it doesn't really warrant a trip to the gp

super embarrassing to be honest but I literally used head and shoulders once like 1 year ago and it literally gave me dandruff and ive tried every brand of shampoo and conditioner and it will not go its actually got worse and im so insecure about it does anyone have any tips or advice or where ti get help for this as I feel it doesn't really warrant a trip to the gp
No need to be embarrassed by this. H&S didn’t give you dandruff! Have you spoken to a pharmacist? They will be able to suggest products that may help. If after about a month you’ve not seen any improvement you should go to your GP.

Reactions: 2
No need to be embarrassed by this. H&S didn’t give you dandruff! Have you spoken to a pharmacist? They will be able to suggest products that may help. If after about a month you’ve not seen any improvement you should go to your GP.
I second this, pharmacists are great for advice, especially if you don't want to go to the GP just yet. That's what their training is for :)

ok thanks guys I forgot you can also talk to pharmacists haha ill gibe that a try im just a bit embarrassed and it wont go ! annoying but im sure easily fixed

• Heart
Reactions: 1
ok thanks guys I forgot you can also talk to pharmacists haha ill gibe that a try im just a bit embarrassed and it wont go ! annoying but im sure easily fixed
Is your scalp itchy at all? Do you have large flakes or more like a fine dust? You may have developed an allergy to something in the shampoo you’re using.

I would suggest buying a clarifying shampoo and using that for 3 days and then one a week. Aveeno do a really good one with apple cider vinegar that treats itchy and flaky scalp, but also removes build up of product in your hair that can irritate. It’s worked for me.

Reactions: 3
It’s only dandruff. It’s nothing to be remotely embarrassed about at all. It’s literally just dry skin!

I have found a sulphate free shampoo has helped my scalp to not be so dry, it flakes terribly when I use a stronger shampoo

I had the same issue. I’d try clearing the issue with Nizoral and then move onto a shampoo with no parabens. Moo Goo has really helped me as well as the body shop ginger shampoo. They’ve saved my scalp x

I noticed this with Head and Shoulders too! It gave my hair a great clean, but I noticed bad dandruff every time I used it, even though H&S is supposed to be ANTI DANDRUFF!

Switched to other shampoos (Loreal, John Frieda) and only get the odd flake now.

I've always been warned off H&S, as it actually makes dandruff worse? I get very bad dandruff, worse when im stressed as well - i end up picking at it all 🤢 a good clarifying shampoo with something like apple cider vinegar helps

thank you guys for all the advice I actually used bicarb of soda in my hair on my scalp left for a few minutes thens shampooed and instead of washing it off straight away I left for 5 minutes and it helped a lot still some there of course but nowhere near as much ! but Im going to look into these special ones for dandruff !

I had the same issue. I’d try clearing the issue with Nizoral and then move onto a shampoo with no parabens. Moo Goo has really helped me as well as the body shop ginger shampoo. They’ve saved my scalp x
Body shop ginger not recommended if you colour your hair. I found the Superdrug trichology treatments really good, H&S makes mine much worse.

My husband has dandruff and an oily scalp and he likes the ginger shampoo from body shop as others mentioned here too.

Just to say superdrug have trichology 3 for £8 which as they are normally £4 each 👍

• Heart
Just reviving this thread to see if anyone has any advice.

For years now, I've had awful dandruff and a dry, itchy scalp. I don't remember when I started to wash my hair everyday but I had a bit of a breakthrough and realised that maybe the two may be linked. I am now trying to wash my hair less and with a sulfate free shampoo (currently using olaplex to fix a different issue with my hair) to see if this affects the dandruff. Has anyone had any luck through doing this? My hair definitely feels less itchy on days 2 and 3 compared to day 1 of washing but I'm not sure if this is a placebo or not.

Trichology from superdrug! Absolute life saver.

Shampoo , conditioner and scalp tonic. Miracle!! Smells awful though.

• Heart
since people been commenting I thought Id give an update for anyone who cares and or has the same issue!
I got some nizoral from Tesco was £5 club card price and its worked an absolute treat! I put it on for 5 minutes then wash off once or twice a week then condition with reg conditioner and had no problems since

I think at the time I was dealing with a serious amount of stress and researching apparently stress can cause dandruff apartnly so since my situation has calmed down ive stopped using it for probably a month now and had no more so! but if it comes back I will be getting it again!

I swear by apple cider vinegar for dandruff. I have a small spray bottle in my bathroom with 50% ACV and 50% plain water to use when mine flares up (usually with stress).

Apply directly to the scalp, massage in with your fingertips and leave it to sit for about half an hour, then shampoo and condition as normal.

• Heart