Curly girl method.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello,

I was hoping I could hear some opinions/tips/tricks/must have products in regards to the curly girl method.
I am hoping to start following this method soon as my hair is in dire need of some TLC.

Reactions: 2
Watching with interest, my daughter had beautiful curls that I want to protect for her! Have seen Carrie hope Fletcher talking about this I think

Hello,

I was hoping I could hear some opinions/tips/tricks/must have products in regards to the curly girl method.
I am hoping to start following this method soon as my hair is in dire need of some TLC.
Im naturally curly, type 3 hair.
10 years of straightening ruined it! Last August I put away my hair dryer and straighteners and had a heavy handed trim (4 inches) then began
Sulfate free shampoo- conditioner
Cantu hair cream, leave in
Got 2 B volume mousse.
Honestly it looked tit for months- like a bad shaggy perm but, at around the 4 month mark I seen real improvement. Its been 14 months and my hair is unreal now, so curly, holds shape well and a few natural greys but no big deal.
I dont want to be a slave to blowdrying forever. Hard but worth it.
Oh- and invest in a good wide toothed comb and microfiber towel to blot dry your hair.
Leave in conditioner sprays are not enough- dont be afraid to really squeeze intense creams into your ends. Good luck!

Reactions: 1
Tbh years ago I tried this. My hair never particularly reached the nice stage from what I remember. I tried the sulfate free shampoo/conditioner which seemed to offer no difference to regular shampoo and conditioner and I also tried not using anything. I actually started that way and think I preferred that but I made the mistake of lying down in a bubble bath once and that ruined all the hard work so switched to sulfate free but it never really went back. It’s one of those things I think I’d like to do again but it’s the initial stages that are off putting.

Cantu products are great!
There are a wide variety of producrs to help you start your journey, leave in conditioner, masks, curl reviver (to prevent excessive washing) Co-conditioner to stop you from over shampooing your hair.
It looks awful to begin with but once you get in to a nice routine and begin to understand your hair you will love giving your hair all the TLC it needs! Feel free to message me for any help you need

+1 on the Reddit curly hair subs - r/CurlyHair and r/CurlyHairUK - loads of really useful info on there and a great ‘how to’ start guide.

What kind of products will depend on your hair type. I personally found the Cantu products way too much for my curls (I have thin hair but a lot of it)

I like the Noughty hair products and my curly hairdresser just recommended Twisted Sista and Coco & Eve (yet to try either!)

I have naturally curly hair and I am currently trying the cg method.
There's so much conflicting advice I find it confusing!
I also have a very itchy scalp, always have done and the cg method seemed to be making it worse so I've bought a scalp massager which I'm hoping will help! I'm about 5 weeks into doing this method and at the moment my hair doesn't look great! :(

I have naturally curly hair and I am currently trying the cg method.
There's so much conflicting advice I find it confusing!
I also have a very itchy scalp, always have done and the cg method seemed to be making it worse so I've bought a scalp massager which I'm hoping will help! I'm about 5 weeks into doing this method and at the moment my hair doesn't look great! :(
I also have natural curly hair but years of straightening it in my teens essentially ruined it, I have probably straightened it a handful of times in the last 3 years though and it hasn't made a huge difference to the frizziness.
I started my journey almost a year ago and my hair has good and bad days, but I also suffer terribly with my scalp!! It gets so dry and itchy, I bought oils and everything that the internet said would help and it did for maybe a day or two and then it would return to itchy and sometimes sore. I bought a shampoo brush and it helped so much!!

I also have natural curly hair but years of straightening it in my teens essentially ruined it, I have probably straightened it a handful of times in the last 3 years though and it hasn't made a huge difference to the frizziness.
I started my journey almost a year ago and my hair has good and bad days, but I also suffer terribly with my scalp!! It gets so dry and itchy, I bought oils and everything that the internet said would help and it did for maybe a day or two and then it would return to itchy and sometimes sore. I bought a shampoo brush and it helped so much!!
Hopefully mine will help too!

I have 2B-2C hair. I have found doing lo-poo, conditioner, leave in and gel really have improved my frizz. I plop with a microfibre towel for around 20-30 mins and then diffuse on low-medium heat. What are you routines?

I had thought about trying out this method to improve the condition of my hair. I was already using sulphate free shampoo with no real difference. My hairdresser recommended a newish product called New Wash from Hairstory. It's more the consistency of a conditioner and you coat your hair in it. You can use it as often as you like as it doesn't strip your hair. It's not cheap at £44 a bottle but you only need this, you don't even need a styling product. I was using Kerastase products before so not cheap. I'm now a month in and the change in my hair is incredible. It's no longer dry and frizzy and my curls are more defined. My hair did get very greasy in first few weeks but that has settled down now.
I would definitely recommend trying it.

I had thought about trying out this method to improve the condition of my hair. I was already using sulphate free shampoo with no real difference. My hairdresser recommended a newish product called New Wash from Hairstory. It's more the consistency of a conditioner and you coat your hair in it. You can use it as often as you like as it doesn't strip your hair. It's not cheap at £44 a bottle but you only need this, you don't even need a styling product. I was using Kerastase products before so not cheap. I'm now a month in and the change in my hair is incredible. It's no longer dry and frizzy and my curls are more defined. My hair did get very greasy in first few weeks but that has settled down now.
I would definitely recommend trying it.
Oh wow! £44 is definitely a commitment but glad its working. Do you feel like your hair has become curlier? To be fair, it's expensive trying the different product to see which works. I've tried to keep mine as cheap as possible - Johnsons top to toe as Lo-Poo for £1.50 and boots own brand gel at maybe £2.50 a go. Then the Gariner hair food conditioner which was on offer at £3.50.

Oh wow! £44 is definitely a commitment but glad its working. Do you feel like your hair has become curlier? To be fair, it's expensive trying the different product to see which works. I've tried to keep mine as cheap as possible - Johnsons top to toe as Lo-Poo for £1.50 and boots own brand gel at maybe £2.50 a go. Then the Gariner hair food conditioner which was on offer at £3.50.
Yes the curls are definitely more defined. Have you noticed a difference with your hair yet?

Yes the curls are definitely more defined. Have you noticed a difference with your hair yet?
So-so, no where near as much frizz which is always positive. The part I'm struggling most with is getting the drying right. If I wash at night, I have to use heat then risk the waves/curls in the night. If I wash in the morning, I look like a drown rat for half the day.

I use a lot of Cantu products, the leave in conditioners, gels and mouse I find can be a little heavy on my hair sometimes but I found that the Cantu Comeback Curl works wonders for reviving curls!
I also found that the Boots brand curl creme is really good! It is lightweight and really helps with the frizz.
It is expensive trying to find the right products but there is something out there for everyones hair!

I’m also new to the curly girl method.
my current routine
Cowash - as I am - scrub scalp for 5 mins
Conditioner - either Noughty or Cantu - finger comb and scrunch in before rinsing
Leave in conditioner - Noughty - scrunch in
Gel - Umberto Gianni - praying hands basically smoothing over a section of hair with both hands flat.
Plop in Tshirt for 10 mins
Diffuse on cool
Go to bed with a buff on my head it’s an expanding stretchy tube thing (awful description 😂)
Wake up - scrunch out gel and I am good to go! Sometimes I have to spray with water / conditioner mix and scrunch again if I have some wonky curls.

So far it’s working really well for me and I’m only 2 weeks in.

I’ve been doing cgm for 4 months now and am just starting to see the difference.

It’s an awful lot of trial and error wiry products and the method.

The best I’ve found so far for my hair is the green tea conditioner from Poundland for co wash and conditioning. The ultimate blends almond crush mask once a week for deep conditioning. I plop with a silk bonnet for half an hour, then add a mix of cantu custard and eco olive oil gel. Then blow dry with the diffuser. And when it’s dry add a bit of ky jelly for the halo frizz.

I found it helpful to do the 2 little tests to see if your hair needs protein or moisture. Mine needs moisture to begin with but I was using protein based conditioners and ending up with a fluffy mess.

It’s so complicated but I’m just starting to understand it so I’ll help anyone else that’s confused If I can

Last edited:
I’ve been doing cgm for 4 months now and am just starting to see the difference.

It’s an awful lot of trial and error wiry products and the method.

The best I’ve found so far for my hair is the green tea conditioner from Poundland for co wash and conditioning. The ultimate blends almond crush mask once a week for deep conditioning. I plop with a silk bonnet for half an hour, then add a mix of cantu custard and eco olive oil gel. Then blow dry with the diffuser. And when it’s dry add a bit of ky jelly for the halo frizz.

I found it helpful to do the 2 little tests to see if your hair needs protein or moisture. Mine needs moisture to begin with but I was using protein based conditioners and ending up with a fluffy mess.

It’s so complicated but I’m just starting to understand it so I’ll help anyone else that’s confused If I can

What hair type would you say you have?