Covid Vaccine for Children aged 5-11

Are you allowing your child to have the covid vaccine?

• Yes

• No

• Unsure

Results are only viewable after voting.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've received a letter from the NHS that my child is now eligible for the covid vaccine for 5-11 year olds.
My daughter (7) and my 2 year old had covid at the end of last year and she was ill for 2 days and my 2 year old wasn't ill at all. It made me think that the vaccine wasn't necessary for children as they didn't get ill and we don't really know how the vaccine effects young children yet.
I'm now undecided about her having it, my husband is against it, but I don't know what to do for the best. I just wondered what those of you with that age group of children have decided?
I just want to add that I'm not an anti vaxxer and I'm fully vaccinated. I just want to know other people's thoughts were and they have decided to do with their children.
I did see that there was a covid vaccine thread, but I just wanted to discuss the vaccine for children.

Reactions: 4
My child (8yo) has had it. For us he was in the "vulnerable child" category as he has a disability, so had it a few weeks ago now. Benefits outweighed the risks for us. We always said that as soon as he was offered he would have it, but when the time came we were very on the fence. I don't know if that was because he couldn't really give his consent and make an informed choice himself, as my older child had. As it was, he caught Covid about 2 days after his jab, he must have already been brewing it :rolleyes:

Reactions: 5
I also recieved this letter today and was horrified to be honest! We all had COVID 8 weeks ago (me being 30 weeks pregnant at the time, partner, 7 year old and 2 year old) none of us are vaccinated - I'm not anti-vaxx in the slightest, my children have had all of their immunisations etc, but it was a personal choice not to have the COVID jab.

We were all fine and there is just no way I would even consider putting this into my child. HOWEVER, it is completely your choice as they are your children and nobody should judge you whatever you decide to do.

Reactions: 3
No I won't be getting my child vaccinated .I don't think the risk /benefit margin is great enough there's been ongoing outbreaks in his class so he's more than likely been exposed to it on a number of occasions even though his tests have never shown a pos result he had all the symptoms.

Reactions: 2
Don‘t have a child so can‘t offer my opinon however some countries still require everyone above a certain age to be vaccinated for travel so that is also a (minor) thing to consider. Obviously it should be more about health but I do know some people who didn‘t want their holidays „ruined“.

I‘m sure you‘ll decide whatever is best for your child and your family x

We decided not to have my 7 year vaccinated, she had covid and was ill for a day, her dad and I have had all the vaccines and felt horrendous 🤣.

She's had all other vaccines but for now we don't deem it necessary for her, she also doesn't want it. If she was vulnerable in any way it would probably be a different decision.

Thank you all for replying. I, still on the fence, but I think I feel the same as all of you. I wish it wasn’t a choice and the vaccine wasn’t available for that age group, I think that probably answers my question.

• Heart
Probably not unless circumstances change in the future.

Both me and my partner are fully vaxxed and my stepchildren have had their first. We were happy to have ours as we thought that was “the way forward” at the time.

We are going to Greece in the summer, hence getting the older two (13+15) jabbed too. However Greece will now be allowing visitors whether they’re vaxxed or not by the time we go, so we won’t rush to get our youngest jabbed or the big kids their second. We feel no need 🤷🏼‍♀️

None of us have had it that we know of, but the eldest was wiped out for a couple of days after his vaccination and the middle had a bit of a funny turn immediately after hers (which I think was due to nerves rather than the actual injection).

I'm triple-vaxxed but won't be getting my 6yo done now. She caught covid in January and we would never have known if school hadn't asked the whole class to test. Given she had no symptoms, I'd say the risk outweighs the benefit in her case. I am also assuming she now has some immunity from catching it, though haven't read up on that.

Reactions: 1
My older children won’t be getting a Covid vaccination. They also do not regularly get their flu vaccination (they did in 2020 as a one off) although they are totally vaxxed other than that, and my husband and I are triple jabbed.

They are both healthy kids, as far as we know, so not in any way vulnerable, nor is anyone else in our household. I don’t see any benefit to it for them. And my brother, who is a cardiologist, is quite against it for younger people due to the increased incidence of Cardiomyopathy (I think) that has been seen in under 18s who have been vaxxed.

Reactions: 3
The two things for us were, firstly will our children get really ill from Covid and/or are they likely to be “super spreaders” to pass it around. Both mine have had covid and were absolutely fine, so I can’t justify giving them a vaccine for something that was essentially a very very mild cold. With the second point, there has been no evidence that children in this age group are more susceptible to catching and spreading the virus. So again, I can’t see the benefit.
I have had huge issues with my period since having the jab (I’m triple vaxxed), so this also plays on my mind esp as I have little girls.

Reactions: 7
My family's all mixed, some have it an some don't, we have all had it as some point not with being uncareful, it just happened an it's been a mix of some being perfectly fine an some being ill, some that didn't have the vaccine were totally fine while others who had the vaccine were quite ill, so to me personally I just think everybody will react differently to it

personally I myself would never had known I had covid if I hadn't done a test after my mum said she had it, am not vaxxed (not a anti vaxxer just don't want this one) but my mum is triple an it was through her I caught it, she was down for almost a week badly with it

Makes me wonder if the vaccines are really doing much tbh or that the majority of people seem to be getting over it with not too much of a problem an think it's because of the vaccine

• Heart
Me and my husband are triple, 12 year old is double but we won’t get the 6 year old done, yet. Husband wants to wait to see if a nose one comes out like the flu one for the kiddies (they also get that every year) he’s too little. He wasn’t ill when he had covid in January x

My little brothers are having it, mostly because one has escaped covid and is off to secondary school so we don’t want him to catch it, and the other caught covid and was really ill afterwards so is now vulnerable. But those in my family who are well and not prone to catching it, won’t be having the jab.

They still catch and transmit even if they are vaccinated. I don't think many understand that .

We had the same letter on the weekend my other half ripped it Up straight Away and threw in the bin.
We’ve all had Covid... he’s triple jabbed, I’m double jabbed currently 33 weeks pregnant Won’t entertain the booster especially whilst pregnant despite a jumped up doctors receptionist telling me I would die if I don’t get it :mad:
My Eldest daughter Who’s 10 had it at Christmas with me and her dad... all she felt was a headache for a day and the sniffles and was fine back to moaning the next day (her dad had no symptoms at all, I was quite rough the first day I was 17 weeks at the time. But nothing major).
Then 3 weeks ago my youngest daughter who is 6 caught it (And me again!!) and showed no symptoms whatsoever. Done nothing but moan how bored she was bless her because she missed her best friend at school.

We had the same letter on the weekend my other half ripped it Up straight Away and threw in the bin.
We’ve all had Covid... he’s triple jabbed, I’m double jabbed currently 33 weeks pregnant Won’t entertain the booster especially whilst pregnant despite a jumped up doctors receptionist telling me I would die if I don’t get it :mad:
My Eldest daughter Who’s 10 had it at Christmas with me and her dad... all she felt was a headache for a day and the sniffles and was fine back to moaning the next day (her dad had no symptoms at all, I was quite rough the first day I was 17 weeks at the time. But nothing major).
Then 3 weeks ago my youngest daughter who is 6 caught it (And me again!!) and showed no symptoms whatsoever. Done nothing but moan how bored she was bless her because she missed her best friend at school.
I wouldn't have it as well of I was pregnant, doctors receptionists are the worst.
My 2 year old wasn't ill at all, he's worse with a cold and my daughter was not herself for 2 days, bit very ill. My daughter has been really ill over the holidays with a throat infection, the Dr was going to admit her to hospital, covid was nothing compared to that. I felt quite ill with it, we caught it because the school and an outbreak. I've not known any children get very ill with it at all, it went through her class and they were all ok after a couple of days.
I think I was trying to convince myself to let her have it, but I'm going to wait until more research comes out.

They still catch and transmit even if they are vaccinated. I don't think many understand that .
Exactly that, I don't think I understood that until I got it after being double jabbed. I believe that you get the vaccine to protect yourself, not others.

Last edited:
Exactly that, I don't think I understood that u til I got it after being double jabbed. I believe that you get the vaccine to protect yourself, not others.
Yeah, the vaccine is only supposed to lesson how bad it can be for you not stop you catching it an passing it on, I think the problem with the vaccine is its been mutating faster than they can really keep up with it so vaccines are probably a bit outdated, the flu vaccine has to be changed yearly because of this, until its calmed down an then they can have more time to focus on the variant thats out then its going be a bit all over the place