Do you think schools should close?

• Yes, it’s about time

Votes: 366 68.8%
  • No, keep them open

Votes: 166 31.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This is the only poll I have been undecided about, for my friends who are teachers I think yes as they are all incredibly nervous about having to work, but I feel bad for all the parents/children... it really is an impossible situation... I think they really need to vaccinate all teachers asap

• Haha
Reactions: 26
C&p from other thread.

I'm pissed off at my parents as they go and visit my Grandparents inside their house yet refuse to wear a mask while doing so....wtf.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I haven’t got a clue how to answer that poll either 😬 I dont have kids so schools and worrying whether to send my kids back hasn’t been an issue but I do genuinely feel a bit sick when I think about how they’ve all had such different levels of education this year. I was reading an article before Christmas about how since schools went back some kids haven’t had any time off and others have had to isolate more than once. I feel so sad for them and their education and how unfair it all seems. Some will fall so far behind 😔

Reactions: 13
I haven’t got a clue how to answer that poll either 😬 I dont have kids so schools and worrying whether to send my kids back hasn’t been an issue but I do genuinely feel a bit sick when I think about how they’ve all had such different levels of education this year. I was reading an article before Christmas about how since schools went back some kids haven’t had any time off and others have had to isolate more than once. I feel so sad for them and their education and how unfair it all seems. Some will fall so far behind 😔
I feel really sad for children who are abused at home and school is their escape and teachers can keep an eye on them. Or kids whose only meal is at school 😭

• Sad
Reactions: 35
This is the only poll I have been undecided about, for my friends who are teachers I think yes as they are all incredibly nervous about having to work, but I feel bad for all the parents/children... it really is an impossible situation... I think they really need to vaccinate all teachers asap
This is me hubby is a teacher and I’m a TA, both in primary. We are both worried about going back and would like to shut from that perspective. BUT our 8 year old is an only child and he suffered so badly mentally in the first lockdown, he needs school. 😔

Reactions: 19
I tried to keep it as blunt and to the point as possible as the majority are very opinionated on what they feel should happen with schools. I don’t think closing schools will be the solution everyone hopes it will be and instead different provisions need to be brought in ie PPE, regular testing for teachers, things in place in the event of isolation periods to ensure children have continuity of education and don’t miss out to their peers. I think a temporary closure or say 2/3 weeks to bring these things into place would be something I would be on board with, but not for much longer than that personally. Children are going to miss out and be at a disadvantage for years to come from this.

• Sad
Reactions: 16
I'm going to stick my neck out and say keep them open but it's a tough call. Although it's hard to answer as a binary choice as a selective and staggered opening would be best.

It's lose lose. But education is one of the best tools to increase social mobility and quality of life.

I don't think the teaching unions are helping at all, last time they were being disruptive and very hyperbolic saying opening them at all will kill lots of teachers and that didn't happen.

Reactions: 18
I tried to keep it as blunt and to the point as possible as the majority are very opinionated on what they feel should happen with schools. I don’t think closing schools will be the solution everyone hopes it will be and instead different provisions need to be brought in ie PPE, regular testing for teachers, things in place in the event of isolation periods to ensure children have continuity of education and don’t miss out to their peers. I think a temporary closure or say 2/3 weeks to bring these things into place would be something I would be on board with, but not for much longer than that personally. Children are going to miss out and be at a disadvantage for years to come from this.
Schools have been closed here since November and will be going back the second week of January, maybe. The numbers dropped a lot since they closed. Will be interesting to see if they rise again when they reopen

Reactions: 8
I've said keep them open. That is based purely on what i want for my children. They need school. The normality of it all.

However i think keeping the schools open is a disaster waiting to happen and i fully expect that they will close

Reactions: 22
So this question is mainly for any teachers, but feel free to add your twopenneth

If schools shut during January, with the same arrangements as the first lockdown, in order to deter spreading the virus, then

Only close for one week at Easter

Stay open in May (no half term)

Push back exam dates to allow support and catch up for GCSE and A level students

What do you think?

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I voted to keep them open, but that’s because I’m not sure closing them will be the magic pill people are hoping it will and it’s a lot for these kids to miss out on.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Schools have been closed here since November and will be going back the second week of January, maybe. The numbers dropped a lot since they closed. Will be interesting to see if they rise again when they reopen
The problem is you close the schools and these children still need to go somewhere whilst their parents work. Close the schools and they’re more likely to have to visit their grandparents with different health conditions, putting them at unnecessary risk. The only way they’d even come down a significant amount is going back to a stricter lockdown which I think will be impossible as the public aren’t on board with it anymore.

Reactions: 11
I voted to keep them open as previously said multiple times my daughter needs the routine of school.

Reactions: 13
So this question is mainly for any teachers, but feel free to add your twopenneth

If schools shut during January, with the same arrangements as the first lockdown, in order to deter spreading the virus, then

Push back exam dates to allow support and catch up for GCSE and A level students

What do you think?
Then what happens when schools reopen? The virus will begin to spread again as it’s still within the community.

Reactions: 7
Also if they’re in school 90% of time your going to know where you child is. If they close they will be conrigating in groups on the streets! Surely defeating object of closing schools??

Reactions: 9
I wish they would give parents a choice in the matter too, a lot of parents I know would rather keep their kids at home for a few weeks now and delay their return to school.
That would then ease the pressure on teachers as the numbers would more than half in the classroom.

Reactions: 19

What do you think?
That wouldn't work for primary aged children, in my experience they need the half terms to recharge. School is draining at the best of times and I notice with the longer half terms (7 weeks) a real deterioration in my children's behaviour and mental well being, by that point they are ready to stop.
May work for secondary school kids though.

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.