COP26

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Conference about climate change...everyone flies in on multiple planes...biden staying in edinburgh apparently and helicoptoring in each dayšŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø. Fleet of teslas to transport...no charging stations so using a diesel generatoršŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø. Could they not just have done a big zoom meeting?

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Iā€™m really just here to see if Greta is throwing a strop, if the protesters have a bar of soap between them,
If Joe remembers where he is, who he is, and that a soft food diet is always the best option, and the rice pudding is especially good on the dentures.

and will it all break down because
Bobo and macaroni have an argument over france,
And their ongoing attempts to find nemo. šŸ˜•
BD546648-2D7C-4DE9-BD26-9F81948A0A66.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I was away in Aberdeen for the last two days for family and got back a couple of hours ago so haven't seen how Glasgow is looking so far this weekend but I'm dreading this. I live in the Merchant City and basically the whole city where I live feels closed off and it's not even going to do a thing for climate change - it will just be Western leaders rambling on, preaching and doing meetings that could easily be done on Zoom alongside Greta and ER coming to entice teens to skip school for a few days, again making the city inaccessible (and probably leaving a bunch of teens loitering outside my porch in the evening after the event like the last time there was an ER protest). The big culprits are not there so it is a waste of time!

My uni is online this week and there are road closures, narrowly dodged train strikes. It's a freaking mess and as a city centre resident, they're just causing unnecessary disruption. Am I wrong to consider taking another weekend trip away next Fri/Sat/Sun?

The hypocrisy is astounding with all of these private planes, it makes it very difficult to take their message seriously. And I wonder how many of the Greta fans will be getting driven to the city centre to listen to her - now that's an answer I'd love to know.

And to add insult to injury, I just know that after it's finished, Sturgeon will be up on her high horse, scolding us for not following the COVID rules and threatening more restrictions (probably won't actually add any though, the money for it has dried up) whilst world leaders are parading around regardless of the rules.

Reactions: 8
I live right next to the closed-off zone for this and one end of my road has been closed off with a huge fence and security guards - just heard a load of drunk people trying to cut through to get out not realising it's shut and a whole lot of "YOUS ARE ALL FUCKIN ARSEHOLES" being bellowed around the street šŸ˜‚ I suspect this is going to be a regular occurrence for the next three weeks!

And to add insult to injury, I just know that after it's finished, Sturgeon will be up on her high horse, scolding us for not following the COVID rules and threatening more restrictions (probably won't actually add any though, the money for it has dried up) whilst world leaders are parading around regardless of the rules.
I'll be REALLY surprised if we don't see new restrictions coming in after this.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 10

The hypocrisy is mad! Biden flies over on his private jet, takes 85 cars and a helicopter but Iā€™m the one being made to worry about recycling my yoghurt pots šŸ™„

Also agree Nicky will definitely put more COVID restrictions in place after this.. I cba.

Reactions: 12
Also agree Nicky will definitely put more COVID restrictions in place after this.. I cba.
I'm just pre-gutted because I'm due to go on the holiday I've rebooked 4 times since 2020 at the start of December and I really don't feel optimistic we won't get restrictions back after half the world have flown in and swanned around for three weeks.

And after last night's shenanigans there are now about 8 police officers guarding the road instead of two weedy security guards in high vis šŸ˜‚

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Is the whole of Glasgow locked down?
Not really, there's just a lot of roads closed which has just made getting around take a lot longer than normal. Where I live has pedestrian access straight to the COP site so it's all been walled off around here.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Whole thing just feels like a massive performance by leaders and people on how much they care about the planet while doing nothing effective

I follow a lot of whale and dolphin conservation groups and one is at the summit to represent their views and highlight the importance of the oceans. It just feelsā€¦ horribleā€¦ when you consider that the UK was perfectly okay releasing sewage into the ocean very recently

Australia is approving mines and mining extensions for coal regularly it seems. Apparently itā€™s a very similar story in Germany too

I understand why people may be hopeful but I really wish people were just angry that this is a massive performance and some agreements that are unlikely to have much effect

Reactions: 5
Makes me quite angry at the number of police patrolling the city when there is a big event with world leaders and Greta but they're not around when teenagers are getting stabbed on trains.
To be fair most of those extra police have been either pulled off working somewhere else stopping teenagers being stabbed on trains, or have been preventing from taking their annual leave and weekends to provide more police. They didn't just get magicked from nowhere šŸ˜¬

ETA: also a lot of them are from English forces sending more officers up

Reactions: 3
Itā€™s all very ā€˜Marie Antoinetteā€™. Some guy said they canā€™t do it on zoom because thereā€™s too many people. If breakout rooms are good enough for us mate itā€™s good enough for those doom-mongering megalomaniacs.

I agree with the claims of climate change being used to push through more of their warped agendas. I wonā€™t be preached to about carbon footprints from people who use more in a month than the average Joe does in a decade.

Reactions: 5
Well annoying that it completely dominates the news as well. Even local news that isn't anywhere near it.

The whole thing is a complete sham

Reactions: 4
Frankly it's a load of bollocks, powerful people, people with money, guilting us plebs and breaking the rules themselves. Games..

Reactions: 4
Well annoying that it completely dominates the news as well. Even local news that isn't anywhere near it.

The whole thing is a complete sham
Apparently all the leaders are going home tomorrow and leaving the actual experts to figure everything out which is fair enough, but it also probably means that the news will forget itā€™s happening

Itā€™s all very ā€˜Marie Antoinetteā€™. Some guy said they canā€™t do it on zoom because thereā€™s too many people. If breakout rooms are good enough for us mate itā€™s good enough for those doom-mongering megalomaniacs.
Iā€™ve seen some people say that thereā€™s also a message that leaders are taking it seriously by attending in person but lol

anyway, I wish they at least did press conferences over zoom rather than having a portion of them travel to the UK just for this one thing. Itā€™s not like the BBC + others canā€™t get the footage that is needed, and Iā€™m sure there could be a deal to share the footage for free/lower fees given the whole point of these summits

Reactions: 1
Conference about climate change...everyone flies in on multiple planes...biden staying in edinburgh apparently and helicoptoring in each dayšŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø. Fleet of teslas to transport...no charging stations so using a diesel generatoršŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø. Could they not just have done a big zoom meeting?
I wonder why wasn't this able to be done via zoom or other online platforms? Why even Glasgow and not say London? I don't know, it's incredibly easily to feel despondent and jaded in terms of these conventions actually triggering impactful change, when realistically for that to happen, everyone is going to have to modify their lifestyles and things they are accustomed to alongside governments and corporations. You want to drop methane gas by x percent, then yeah, no more breeding and consuming cows. You want greener energy, then yeah that's going to take a just transition and stop throwing money at fossil fuels, you want a circular economy, then that's going to need more money spent on recycling services and less consumption in the first place. No one appears to wants to be selfless, look at all the planes taken just for this one conference, look at the hypocrisy of BJ not being able to take a train. So people who have the choice to limit or reduce our harmful consumption don't, and in turn, those who create the least impact to this planet suffer the most. We will have more animal to human disease transmission, more climate change, more migration and inequality as a result of climate injustice and nothing changes, because it doesn't directly impact them personally.... it's someone else's problem, just like the UK had no issue shipping all our crap for other countries to deal with.

And honestly, any British Royal Family member preaching about climate change, when they continue to support blood sports (as if that doesn't have major ecological impact alongside the cruelty) needs to give their head a wobble.

Sadly a huge waste of time IMO. World leader blowing hot air up each other to make them all feel important and like they are doing something. Too much talking and not enough action. We're fucked.

All of us recycling stuff or eating less meat won't make any difference as long as people keep buying, and throwing away, 7 million Halloween costumes in the UK alone every year, god only knows how many Xmas jumpers from 2020 were in landfill by Easter, and look at all those Love Islanders selling polyester clothes as quick as China can make them. The general materialistic, need-more-stuff culture would need to disappear altogether, immediately, to make a big enough difference and I will never believe that any of those people really want that to happen because where will the money come from then.

• Sad
Reactions: 9