Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Anyone got any experience / thoughts they are willing to share on this?
I’ve had CBT and EMDR for PTSD following a serious car crash.

I think I had 18 sessions and found it helped me develop coping strategies and techniques. Didn’t ‘cure’ me so to speak but definitely helped x

I've had it for free-floating anxiety, which is usually triggered by worrying about what others have said or done, or might say and done, and ruminating far too often about just about everything. It's a bit tricky to explain in brief, but it got especially bad a few years ago where I just felt so angry and helpless and did a great job of bottling it all up.

Anyhoo, it - and hypnotism - was very effective. CBT taught me how to change my thinking, and hypnotism helped block out some awful things I went through in my teens and 20s.

Reactions: 1
Would be more interested in the hypnosis if it would help block thoughts. Was that private or referral from GP if you don’t mind me asking?

Would be more interested in the hypnosis if it would help block thoughts. Was that private or referral from GP if you don’t mind me asking?
It was private, and it was expensive (about NZ$120 a session). I was completely conscious the whole time ... I thought it would be like those shows you see where people are told they're eating an apple but really it's an onion and they have no idea (plus seem out of it), but it was nothing like that at all. I sat in a reclining chair and closed my eyes but could have 'returned' at any minute. I do remember feeling very calm and like I was experiencing that intoxicating moment just before you fall asleep. My only recollection of those events is that they were bad and I should never try to recall what happened - they're locked away in a part of my mind that I do not want to open. Actually, a bit of a weird (lightheaded) feeling comes over me whenever I make reference to those times. So, quite a few years later, it still works and was a great investment.

Reactions: 2
I've had CBT twice for GAD and OCD. I found it more useful for the OCD than the GAD.

Personally I find talking therapy very useful in conjunction with an anti-depressant.