Christmas Dinner "cheats"

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What Christmas Dinner "cheats" do you do?

From

• pre made gravy
• ready made yorkshires
• pre done veg

Post them here

I don't do christmas dinner at all. We have a buffet - cheese board, meat platter, some of those litte party foods that you just heat up, crisps and dips, etc.
It's only for our own little family, and that's what we enjoy.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I usually make most of it but I buy pre made red cabbage and cauliflower cheese as I think they just taste better like that and so easy to pop in the microwave when everything’s nearly done.

I prep/cut the veg and potatoes the day before and make up the stuffing balls the day before ready to just stick it all in the oven on Christmas.

I put a gammon joint in the slower cooker from early Christmas morning so it’s perfect by mid afternoon. I use ready made gravy then just drain the Juices in from the other meat I cook to add some more flavor!

Reactions: 1
I don't do christmas dinner at all. We have a buffet - cheese board, meat platter, some of those litte party foods that you just heat up, crisps and dips, etc.
My friend does this too so she can enjoy Christmas day without being in the kitchen, good idea I say

I usually make most of it but I buy pre made red cabbage and cauliflower cheese as I think they just taste better like that and so easy to pop in the microwave when everything’s nearly done.

I prep/cut the veg and potatoes the day before and make up the stuffing balls the day before ready to just stick it all in the oven on Christmas.

I put a gammon joint in the slower cooker from early Christmas morning so it’s perfect by mid afternoon. I use ready made gravy then just drain the Juices in from the other meat I cook to add some more flavor!
Sounds perfect to me!! What gravy do you use?

I don't really do any cheats, just don't make it complicated. Made the pudding a couple of months ago but the meal will be simple, no starters, just turkey to eat (with sausage meat in the neck), pigs in blankets (although will make those up the day before), sprouts cooked with lardons and chestnuts, roast tatties, carrots / swede and probably red cabbage (maybe that's a cheat as it cooks itself in the slow cooker). Gravy made with giblet stock too as it's so nice. Made the cranberry sauce ages ago too so maybe that's my cheat. Everything will be cooked from scratch though as it's so much nicer but I'm not doing different meals for everyone, would rather have something simple, cooked well with left overs to last the week as the best bit of Christmas dinner is the bits and pieces in the fridge the next day :)

Reactions: 3
Foil trays for everything that has to go in the oven but put on a baking tray for stability. Saves washing up.
Buy cheap wine glasses. Write everyone’s name on one in gold pen. Only one glass per person all day and tell them to take them home as a memento.
Saves breaking your best glasses

Reactions: 17
Foil trays for everything that has to go in the oven but put on a baking tray for stability. Saves washing up.
Buy cheap wine glasses. Write everyone’s name on one in gold pen. Only one glass per person all day and tell them to take them home as a memento.
Saves breaking your best glasses
I do foil trays too! Good idea with the wine glasses

I do foil trays too! Good idea with the wine glasses
I also do foil trays and buy cheap glasses from Wilkos and stick a pre made label on with their names (I have a cricut so make these myself)

I also make some things in advance, our cheesy leeks, cauliflower cheese, stuffing and pigs in blankets are all prepped and in the freezer, ready to be cooked on the day, I’ve cooked the Yorkshire puds and frozen them too to cook on the day and I’ve made the Janie Oliver gravy stock, again in the freezer. I find doing this makes it all so much easier and less stressful on the day!

Reactions: 2
I wrap all the place mats in gold wrapping paper so they all match and the table looks Christmassy.

Reactions: 6
Like the labelled wine glass ideas.
I roast the potatoes and parsnips on foil trays, actually I have a big one for the turkey too. I get the turkey ready and make stock and prep the veg the day before. I've never found I'm in the kitchen for a long time, it's mainly popping things in the oven and then getting it all ready to serve takes 30 minutes.
Do pigs in blankets in the airfryer they come out crispy and perfect.
I've bought a back up turkey gravy from M&S because I find that the trickiest thing to get right on the day, but if in doubt just throw some wine in and it's all good!

Reactions: 2

I was gonna say this too. Meat in the slow cooker.
Par -boil veg for roasting the day before. These days I prefer to part cook the potatoes in the microwave before roasting, rather than boiling them .

Beef in the slow cooker.
We've bought frozen sprouts in bacon with chestnuts, frozen honey roast parsnips and frozen beef dripping yorkshires this year as I cannot be arsed. The rest of the veg will be fresh.
I get the turkey seasoned the night before and pop it in the oven when we get up.
Foil tray fan over here too. Good shout on the wine glasses.

Aunt bessys frozen honey parsnips and frozen yorkies, cranberry sauce from a jar and a shop bought dessert, everything else is done by hand (well, shove the turkey in the oven, cut veg, peel, cut and airfry potatoes, oven cook the pigs in blankets and stuffing balls) I do make homemade soup though

frozen veg - no bugger knows unless they see you emptying packets
aunty bessies bake yer own yorkies - 2 per muffin hole take 'em outta the foils and they should do the massive mutant thing
m&s ready pouched ambient turkey gravy

no point being precious when it does us the other 52 sunday lunches

Reactions: 3
I buy pre made yorkshire puddings as I have a small oven
Also cook turkey the day before, slice and heat up in gravy on the day
Bisto gravy
Cauliflower cheese in advance and microwave

Pudding is something I can make in advance. This year I am baking brownies this week and serving warmed with posh ice cream.

That sound wonderful! It must so fun and easy to store afterwards.