Christenings

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone just posted a photo on Facebook of a Christening many years ago, so it got me thinking if anyone has been christened,and if people still do get christened?
I was when I was about 2 months old, as were my brothers

I was baptised, mainly because my nan was pretty religious and my mum did it for her. Not religious at all though and didn't do the confirmation later down the line. My little boy won't be christened.

I actually went to a christening at the weekend, only the 2nd I've been to as an adult.

Reactions: 2
Few of my friends have had christenings for their kids.

Just an excuse for a knees up and presents. None of them have set foot in church since.

Reactions: 8
I think it used to be done a lot of the time to get kids into better schools.

Reactions: 6
I'm not religious, although as a youngster went to Sunday School,
Not been confirmed either!
Don't particularly go to church, except for the odd wedding or funeral, if in a church

I think they are a “dying out” kinda phase. I never got my kids christening as personally I’m not religious and would rather them choose their own religion (if any!) but I’ve only known one person Have a christening for their child. Most of my friends haven’t bother d.

I'm having a christening this week for my little boy. I don't want him to necessarily be religious, but I was baptised and I do still occasionally go to mass, I do pray too and I believe in God. So in terms of why I'm having him christened, is mostly for the blessing as that's important to me. But I really don't mind what religion, of any he chooses in life. I want him to question everything and I would support him in whatever he chooses in life. But I just want that blessing for him- as for me and my family, its important.

Reactions: 5
I was christened Catholic, not sure it did me harm or good, I don't believe in God now and dislike the Catholic Church as an institution.

My impression from attending a few family christenings in the last few yrs was that it was more about the day out (outfits, meal, family event) for them. There was a fair dose of showing off, and I don't think any of them have been in a church since with their kids.

Personally I wouldn't baptise my kids into any faith, but each to their own. It doesn't make sense to me to impose a belief system in a God on someone, before they can even talk.

I was raised Catholic and so was baptised, communion, confirmation blah blah blah … it was just something I did because my schools were catholic ones so it was just a conveyor belt of religious ceremonies that held no meaning whatsoever to me.

I’ve been an atheist since I could think for myself, and had myself removed from the Catholic Church by sending a letter to the Bishop 15 years ago … there are certain things they’ll boot you out for 😉

I don’t agree with baptisms and refuse to attend them.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
All of my family have been christened over the years I think it's a family tradition though as none of us are regular church goers most family weddings are church weddings too as was one of the few that opted for registry office.

Reactions: 1
My parents couldn't afford a christening when I was a baby, I think that's largely why they're less common now, with the cost of living rising again. It's nice to have a family get together to welcome a new baby, but if you're not that religious it's an unnecessary expense. They talked about getting me christened when I was 8 or 9, thank god they didn't, how embaressing would it have been at that age 😂

Last edited:
I'm having a christening this week for my little boy. I don't want him to necessarily be religious, but I was baptised and I do still occasionally go to mass, I do pray too and I believe in God. So in terms of why I'm having him christened, is mostly for the blessing as that's important to me. But I really don't mind what religion, of any he chooses in life. I want him to question everything and I would support him in whatever he chooses in life. But I just want that blessing for him- as for me and my family, its important.
You can just get a blessing? Christening is offering up your child to be baptised into the Christian faith and become a member of that religion, whether you see it as that or not that’s what it is.

Im a cynical atheist and a “bad Catholic”. Baptised, did my first holy communion, confirmed then stopped believe in sixth form when I read the god delusion.
Most of the people I know who have had their kids christened did it because “that’s what you do” and they wanted a party with their baby in a cute outfit. I don’t want to induct my child into any organised religion, particularly one which indoctrinates impressionable children

• Heart
We were all christened/baptised in the family whither our family's went to church/Chapel or not, of course most did an mine did mostly because my dad's parents were hugely religious an wanted us all there as a family, but personally now a days it's mostly just used to show off, my neice got christened a while ago an honestly all it was was a excuse for a party, dress an presents, neither my brother or his wife step foot in a church an I very nearly didn't even go as I felt it was just a joke, I sat back of the church though an just attended the actual christening part itself as I have no interest in religion

Funny enough, the majority of us in the family that where raised religious have actually turned our backs on it now

My cousin is having a battle with her kids the now, both sets of grandparents are still very religious an are Catholic an want the kids to be put into Catholic schools (over here it's either Catholic or protestant, there's little to no schools that's nothing) but the majority of Catholic schools won't take kids that aren't baptised since they put the kids through their communions an see a baptism as being faithful to the religion but my cousin who's no longer intrested in the Catholic faith refuses to baptise them lol

I've been christened but I never see myself as a Christian. I was forced to Sunday school etc but I was never into it. I'm a pagan now.

I was christened too. Went to catholic primary and secondary but never really believed. I do think there’s got to be something more to this life. But I’m not sure what. I don’t think it’s a god. But surely something?

I was christened too. Went to catholic primary and secondary but never really believed. I do think there’s got to be something more to this life. But I’m not sure what. I don’t think it’s a god. But surely something?
I’m happy with the knowledge that when you die there is nothing afterwards. I feel the presence of people who have died by the impact of their words and actions upon me, I miss them but I accept they are gone and that is the end.
I can’t accept any so called omnipotent/omnipresent god who allows innocents to die in famines, genocides, wars, who allows rape, abuse and murder, who allows babies to die. If that god exists then he/she is a bleeping hole.

Reactions: 5