Childhood emotional neglect

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wonder how many of you can relate to these:

-Feeling numb
-Not knowing what you feel or only realising your feelings a long time after or too late
-Feeling extreme shame and awkwardness at crying at the TV or a film, for example
-really struggle forming close friendships
-priding yourself on being independent and never needing help from family
-Not knowing what you actually enjoy or want from life!

Will add more when I think of them!

Reactions: 17

-Feeling numb
-Not knowing what you feel or only realising your feelings a long time after or too late
-Feeling extreme shame and awkwardness at crying at the TV or a film, for example
-Not knowing what you actually enjoy or what from life!

I can definitely relate to all of those. My MIL is always fussing over us and trying to help my partner and I with things and I always push her away, I’m fiercely independent and I actually find it very irritating when she tries to help.
For example if my partner is working away for a night she will text me and say, “hi hope you’re okay just checking in, let me know if you need anything.” I honestly just want to reply telling her to go away... I’ve explained to her so many times that I spent many nights alone as a teen and I am fine, but the message never sinks in.

I also get these brief periods where I’m just a miserable cow. I just want to be mean and rude to everyone and I just hate everyone and everything, nothing is good enough for me at that moment in time. I hate myself when I get like that as it just adds to my feelings of guilt.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I can definitely relate to all of those. My MIL is always fussing over us and trying to help my partner and I with things and I always push her away, I’m fiercely independent and I actually find it very irritating when she tries to help.
For example if my partner is working away for a night she will text me and say, “hi hope you’re okay just checking in, let me know if you need anything.” I honestly just want to reply telling her to go away... I’ve explained to her so many times that I spent many nights alone as a teen and I am fine, but the message never sinks in.

I also get these brief periods where I’m just a miserable cow. I just want to be mean and rude to everyone and I just hate everyone and everything, nothing is good enough for me at that moment in time. I hate myself when I get like that as it just adds to my feelings of guilt.
Yeah I did dislike my mil a lot to start with and would find her calling and hugging my partner annoying and intrusive but tbh I think that might just be normal mother stuff 😂🤔 definitely a me problem

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
I made the decision not to have children. Partly because I really struggle with physical contact with other people, I feel like I’m being suffocated and I just know I wouldn’t cope trying to show affection to my child. Plus I really don’t think I could show my feelings and I think I would just repeat history. I also have an awful temper and I think I’d get too angry.
100% my reasoning also for not having any. I could have written these exact words.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Yeah I did dislike my mil a lot to start with and would find her calling and hugging my partner annoying and intrusive but tbh I think that might just be normal mother stuff 😂🤔 definitely a me problem
It drives me insane, don’t mind her hugging my partner so much, she only does it when he’s leaving after a weekly visit. It’s more just the constant fussing, have you got this, have you got that.

She fell out with us big time when I was 21 and he was 23 because we booked to go to Florida, all we would hear is, “well you’ll never afford another holiday after this one.” Or “you’ll never have any money again.” I wouldn’t mind but we had 20k in the bank (which she didn’t know) and we soon showed her when we bought our first house after we came back from Florida and we booked a trip to New York as well!

I think some people’s MIL’s are normal, mine is just neurotic! 😂😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2
Yep found it very odd when friends parents would say “love you” at the end of phone calls etc, turn up to school plays, concerts etc. Ferry them around. I was always told “yes you can go for tea at so and sos house but only if their parents drop you back” .no interest in our activities or likes etc. We did all the house work and never were allowed to chill and do nothing. Probably why I’m so messy now as I associate cleaning and tidying with trauma.
with my kids I always tell them I love them, same with husband and friends. Phone calls always end with a “love you” even with my nearly 17 year old son. We do hugs and affection in my house too.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I spent ages writing up a post only for the page to refresh and it all disappeared!🤯

Anyway the long and short of it is my mum was clearly suffering from undiagnosed mental health issues throughout my childhood and it definitely had a knock on effect. Apart from the time she threw a pile of clothes at me in my teens she was never physically abusive to me, although I still felt shock when that happened. Emotionally though she just wasn’t there. She worked a lot and when she wasn’t at work she seemed pissed off about something most of the time. It got to a point where I figured it best to stay out of her way because she’d pop off on anyone who crossed her path it felt like. You’d never know what mood she would be in when she came home from work and I hated that, the whole walking on eggshells thing. I don’t remember anything specifically nasty that she said to me, it was more about her demeanour and attitude, her short temper and things like that. If she was upset, the room felt tense. It meant I felt quite isolated at times, and like I couldn’t tell her something if she was in a bad mood. There were times where she was a good mum to me, but we’ve never had an especially close bond. We don’t hug goodbye, there’s a lot of things I don’t feel comfortable sharing with her like my ongoing struggles with my mental health. As an adult she has popped off at me a couple of times and was unreasonable and made me feel awful. I feel when she goes off like this it is because of pain she is feeling inside, so I let her rant and let her cool off and usually it’s all fine. That said, she is actively in my life and consistently makes the effort to see us and the children. I believe she knows she wasn’t the best mum growing up but the fact that she’s out here still trying despite the fact that she has struggled so much over the years means a lot.

Onto my dad.... My parents split when I was about 3 so I saw my dad most weekends. Loved going there because the atmosphere was more relaxed, but he was a minimal effort dad - paid my mum maintenance and that was the extent of his parenting. One thing that always stuck out to me was how he never took me on holiday, but went away with his girlfriend and her kids a few times. I felt a bit excluded. As I got older visits became less frequent, and when I did visit it got more awkward. Like my dad didn’t know what to do with me or something. Fortunately his girlfriend was amazing so if she was there it was like an ice breaker, but if she was working or something it would just be quiet and awkward between us. During my teens I was more preoccupied with my social life, but still felt some kind of way about my dad not contacting me for periods of a time (for at least a year at one point). Things haven’t really got any better since then. I see my dad a handful of times a year, usually when it’s mine or my kids birthday or Christmas. To be honest I don’t mind because it’s still awkward and I just can’t seem to get a conversation going with him, at this point I’m just happy to hear he’s not dropped off the face of the earth. Weirdly we do hug when we say goodbye. Guess it’s something we’ve always done.

I’ve gone through so many emotions when processing my childhood and I still do. I do love my parents, but don’t feel especially ‘bonded’ to them, if that makes sense? My partner has a very different relationship with his parents, there’s a much warmer vibe and he is able to be more open with them, they hug and kiss on the cheek to say goodbye every time without fail which all these years later I still feel weird about, and it’s just highlighted how awkward my own relationship with my parents is.

With my own kids, I’m trying very hard not to emulate my mums behaviour.. it’s actually harder than I care to admit since I’m pretty sure we suffer very similarly with our mental health. I guess I have the benefit of awareness, so I can catch myself, ask my partner for help etc (he is incredibly understanding). I’m far from perfect I’ve definitely had my moments and felt like an awful person afterwards but I do feel I am giving my girls a better childhood than I had. One thing my mum never did was apologise to me when she was in the wrong whereas I will always apologise to my kids and make it right if I know I acted unreasonably, it doesn’t make that behaviour ok but it does let my kids know that it wasn’t their fault. I’m also about a million times more affectionate with them than my parents were with me, i hug them every single day multiple times so I hope there’s never any doubt in their mind that they are loved. One of my biggest fears is messing my kids up honestly I have sleepless nights over it sometimes.
Apologies for the essay!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I spent ages writing up a post only for the page to refresh and it all disappeared!🤯

Anyway the long and short of it is my mum was clearly suffering from undiagnosed mental health issues throughout my childhood and it definitely had a knock on effect. Apart from the time she threw a pile of clothes at me in my teens she was never physically abusive to me, although I still felt shock when that happened. Emotionally though she just wasn’t there. She worked a lot and when she wasn’t at work she seemed pissed off about something most of the time. It got to a point where I figured it best to stay out of her way because she’d pop off on anyone who crossed her path it felt like. You’d never know what mood she would be in when she came home from work and I hated that, the whole walking on eggshells thing. I don’t remember anything specifically nasty that she said to me, it was more about her demeanour and attitude, her short temper and things like that. If she was upset, the room felt tense. It meant I felt quite isolated at times, and like I couldn’t tell her something if she was in a bad mood. There were times where she was a good mum to me, but we’ve never had an especially close bond. We don’t hug goodbye, there’s a lot of things I don’t feel comfortable sharing with her like my ongoing struggles with my mental health. As an adult she has popped off at me a couple of times and was unreasonable and made me feel awful. I feel when she goes off like this it is because of pain she is feeling inside, so I let her rant and let her cool off and usually it’s all fine. That said, she is actively in my life and consistently makes the effort to see us and the children. I believe she knows she wasn’t the best mum growing up but the fact that she’s out here still trying despite the fact that she has struggled so much over the years means a lot.

Onto my dad.... My parents split when I was about 3 so I saw my dad most weekends. Loved going there because the atmosphere was more relaxed, but he was a minimal effort dad - paid my mum maintenance and that was the extent of his parenting. One thing that always stuck out to me was how he never took me on holiday, but went away with his girlfriend and her kids a few times. I felt a bit excluded. As I got older visits became less frequent, and when I did visit it got more awkward. Like my dad didn’t know what to do with me or something. Fortunately his girlfriend was amazing so if she was there it was like an ice breaker, but if she was working or something it would just be quiet and awkward between us. During my teens I was more preoccupied with my social life, but still felt some kind of way about my dad not contacting me for periods of a time (for at least a year at one point). Things haven’t really got any better since then. I see my dad a handful of times a year, usually when it’s mine or my kids birthday or Christmas. To be honest I don’t mind because it’s still awkward and I just can’t seem to get a conversation going with him, at this point I’m just happy to hear he’s not dropped off the face of the earth. Weirdly we do hug when we say goodbye. Guess it’s something we’ve always done.

I’ve gone through so many emotions when processing my childhood and I still do. I do love my parents, but don’t feel especially ‘bonded’ to them, if that makes sense? My partner has a very different relationship with his parents, there’s a much warmer vibe and he is able to be more open with them, they hug and kiss on the cheek to say goodbye every time without fail which all these years later I still feel weird about, and it’s just highlighted how awkward my own relationship with my parents is.

With my own kids, I’m trying very hard not to emulate my mums behaviour.. it’s actually harder than I care to admit since I’m pretty sure we suffer very similarly with our mental health. I guess I have the benefit of awareness, so I can catch myself, ask my partner for help etc (he is incredibly understanding). I’m far from perfect I’ve definitely had my moments and felt like an awful person afterwards but I do feel I am giving my girls a better childhood than I had. One thing my mum never did was apologise to me when she was in the wrong whereas I will always apologise to my kids and make it right if I know I acted unreasonably, it doesn’t make that behaviour ok but it does let my kids know that it wasn’t their fault. I’m also about a million times more affectionate with them than my parents were with me, i hug them every single day multiple times so I hope there’s never any doubt in their mind that they are loved. One of my biggest fears is messing my kids up honestly I have sleepless nights over it sometimes.
Apologies for the essay!
Do you have a word processing programme on your computer? If you have something like Open Office, you could type out a long post and save it. Then copy and paste it in to the comment box.

Reactions: 1

-Feeling numb
-Not knowing what you actually enjoy or want from life!

Yes to all of this.

I feel like I could have wrote some of these. Me and my sister was having a very in depth, heart opening conversation about this very subject not long ago. I think I have bought it up in the scariest thread, but one thing for sure because of childhood emotional neglect was a complete lack of boundaries. From a young age, me and my siblings were allowed to roam. Our parents often didn't know or care where we were most of the time. It sounds bizarre to some people, but I used to be somewhat jealous of other kids with stricter parents. We were always the last kids to be playing out long after everybody else had been called in. As a result I have been in situations which have left me scarred psychologically for life.

My mum (who died of a brain tumour when she was only 44) was only 18 and pregnant with me when she married my dad. My mum was an extremely attractive woman, she turned heads where ever she went. But she did not realise when she was young and had apparently settled with the "safer option" being my dad. She did the whole housewife thing very early, having my 2 siblings in quick succession. She was a doting mum and I do remember lots of love, cuddles, her taking us for days out, baking etc. My dad worked long hours, he often went for a drink after work, so we rarely saw much of him during the week. We would often be woken up in the night, with the house being smashed to pieces and them fighting. My mum got a job and that is when I noticed the home was very emotionally cold, both my parents did recreational drugs by then too, my mum started raving when she got her confidence back from the attention she was loving at work. We moved out of the estate into a gorgeous house and around then she also had an affair with a colleague (who she went onto stay with until the day she died), which my dad discovered, they broke up but there was no battle over us children. Instead they were arguing who got lumbered with us. And trust me I heard such arguments and felt them. It was my mum who left the marital home (and we rarely saw her) my dad stayed and stayed working even longer hours as a single father with absolutely no help. We had to leave for school ourselves, with him not coming home very late, he would slap us up something quick for tea, watch telly for an hour and go to bed to do it all again the next day. At the weekends he would treat himself to a big bottle of Vodka and get pissed and sometimes quite abusive to me verbally and physically. I felt guilty to ask my dad for things, so went without and was often bullied. At one point my only clothes were my uniform so I used to go out and shoplift what I wanted and needed. No one cared. No one cared what situations I got in. No one really gave a rats arse where I was. I even used to cut my arms and legs to pieces in an attempt for someone to notice. No one did. No one ever noticed I stopped going to school. No one noticed I was travelling up and down the country. My brother is on the autistic spectrum so he can come off as very cold and distant, my sister and I, even though close felt this barrier there that stopped us showing affection for each other, but instead a bizarre one uppance of each other. We hadn't even give each other a cuddle until we were in our 30s. It was bleeping lonely as a teenager. I had no friends either. I was groomed. I went on to an unsuccessful suicide attempt as a teenager where I had taken alot of tablets, realised half way through I did not have the balls to commit to it. I called for help, had my stomach pumped and was sectioned.

I have been through a pretty crap life. I have only realised not to repeat my parents mistakes with my children way too late. As I became a drug addict as a direct result of trying to escape the trauma of things which happened in my childhood which could have been prevented had my parents bothered to notice me. Still as an adult I seem to think I'm a burden in any environment. I wont contact people until they contact me and so forth. I have often stayed in violent relationships alot longer than I should because of such low self esteem. And ashamedly I have been a career criminal.

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 16
I might write my story here someday. It's similar to so many of yours. Looking back at it now, it's so hard for me to get my head around how a grown adult though it was okay to treat a small child that way.

In my case it was physical, mental and emotional abuse by both parents. Being kicked around the place (literally), thumped, hit, slapped, my possesions taken and destroyed, being told everyday that I was stupid/useless/thick, would never amount to anything etc etc.

Philip Larkin knew what he was talking about for sure:

Larkin.jpg

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
I love that poem.

It reminds me of an article I read on one of my many sleepless nights, the gist was that with each generation parenting gets better, I found it quite poignant so I bookmarked it. Here Is the article if anyone is interested but it is quite long. I flick through it every now and again as it helps ground me when I’m feeling really low and guilty about my parenting so I hope others find it helpful too.

• Heart
My story sounds very similar to a lot of yours, and it’s gutting to know that so many people are going through this pain. It’s given me so many issues as an adult, people think I’m cold, distant and have no emotions but honestly I can clearly remember a friend of my mum’s giving me a hug when I was 13 because she said I always looked sad. And when she hugged me she said, come on hug me back, give me a squeeze! And it dawned on me there and then that I didn’t know what to do because I’d never had a hug. My kids get hugged and squeezed to bits now lol.

There are some kids by me that are out all hours, always the last ones called in, asking people for food. And it makes me so sad because I feel like that was me when I was younger. No boundaries, no routine, no one looking out for me.

• Heart
  • Sad
I love that poem.

It reminds me of an article I read on one of my many sleepless nights, the gist was that with each generation parenting gets better, I found it quite poignant so I bookmarked it. Here Is the article if anyone is interested but it is quite long. I flick through it every now and again as it helps ground me when I’m feeling really low and guilty about my parenting so I hope others find it helpful too.
Thank you. I've bookmarked that to read later.

Reactions: 1
I feel so sad reading this thread :cry:

I had a good upbringing, my parents did fine but my dad in particular was very cold, not particularly interested unless it reflected positively on him (eg, getting good exam results), used to berate how I looked and my personality etc. It really affected how I felt about him and I didn’t speak to him for a good 5 years after I left home as I didn’t feel he had done anything to earn a relationship with ‘adult’ me. I was just always a huge let down and embarrassment to him when I was younger, I don’t think he really wanted children or at least in some narcissistic way he just wanted mini versions of himself.
We’re fine now and are civil, he’s getting old and he doesn’t have the authority he did before. I do think about it sometimes though, I had awfully low self esteem and confidence as a teenager (as well as periods of depression/self harm) and I feel this was at least in part due to how he was.
I really don’t have anything to complain about though reading some people’s experiences on here - I’m so lucky my mum was fantastic and made up for it most of the time.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My story sounds very similar to a lot of yours, and it’s gutting to know that so many people are going through this pain. It’s given me so many issues as an adult, people think I’m cold, distant and have no emotions but honestly I can clearly remember a friend of my mum’s giving me a hug when I was 13 because she said I always looked sad. And when she hugged me she said, come on hug me back, give me a squeeze! And it dawned on me there and then that I didn’t know what to do because I’d never had a hug. My kids get hugged and squeezed to bits now lol.
I never ever remembered being given a hug by either of my parents. Never. Not even once. Not as a child or as an adult (I'm 41 now, haven't been in contact with either of them for the last 5 or 6 years, though had to see them when my aunt's husband died last year) )
In direct contrast to them, I AM a huggy person. I suppose subconsciously I just wanted to the do the exact opposite of what my parents did. I have never seen them be affectionate towards anyone else either.

When my aunt's (mother's sister) husband died last year, my poor aunt was in bits at the funeral (they'd been together since they were 18, almost 60 years) Myself and her daughter-in-law were the ones hugging her and holding her hand throughout the funeral and burial (she doesn't have any daughters herself) My mother sat or stood a few feet away and didn't make one single move to comfort her.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
My mum was more overprotective of me. I was never allowed to play out in the culdesac next to my house with the other kids, although I’d spend ages chatting with them at the garden fence because the back garden backed onto it. They would keep asking me why I couldn’t ‘come out’ and it was so embarrassing as some of them were younger than me! I could have made some new friends outside of school round where I lived but never got the opportunity. It also took a lot of talking her round for her to let me go into town with my friends from school for the first time at around 12/13 (shopping, cinema etc) when all my friends had been going alone for ages. I think in my case mum obviously cared for me and wanted me safe, but maybe she just didn’t know how to go about certain aspects. Like, everyone knows the basics of raising children, you feed them, you clothes them, you keep a roof over their head. But when it gets to the nitty gritty real life aspects of parenting she fell down. I remember getting my first period and she found out, she hugged me (one of the few occasions I remember) and said we would sit down and chat about it later, that chat never materialised and I was too embarrassed to approach her with my questions. But really it’s the little moments like that that build a connection and trust and we didn’t have many of those moments at all.

As I got older she got more lenient and then by the time I was 16 and out of school I was basically doing as I wanted. As long as I let her know that I wasn’t coming home that night (i‘d often say I was staying at a friends but in reality I would be pissed up in a field somewhere) Then it was all good. Even the one time I was caught lying she didn’t seem bothered, whereas my friends mum went absolutely nuclear. Weird when I compare that to being a pre teen, where I couldn’t really do anything appropriate for my age.

Last edited:
  • Heart

There are some kids by me that are out all hours, always the last ones called in, asking people for food. And it makes me so sad because I feel like that was me when I was younger. No boundaries, no routine, no one looking out for me.
I too, did not know what to do with a cuddle. As I got to a pre teen I would see other girls my age who would cuddle or walk arm in arm with their friends. I used to find it really alien!

My first husband, who was my first serious relationship (my life somewhat mirrors my mothers in many aspects) had such a beautiful family. I remember being taken aback because a scatch set was bought with their big shopping and he and his siblings were asking each other for a game. Little things like that were alien to me too. I have mentioned this in another thread but I felt resistance of letting his family love me. I would for instance be intentionally awful to them, but instead they took pity on me and loved me even more. It was very hard to accept. It is very hard to admit but I had unhealthy jealousy towards my first husband about the fact he has this big, lovely close family who had gatherings at every opportunity. Yet mine was all broken, disinterested, aloof and the ones who aren't aloof are trouble!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Is it bad to be relieved when you read about others like yourself?

My parents wanted children but were not remotely maternal/paternal or affectionate, physically or emotionally. My mother literally doesn't know how to use encouragement and positivity as a motivator. Only ever spoke to criticise or say that she knew that would happen when things didn't go to plan. I was academically excellent in school and looking back this was purely to try and earn the love and respect of my parents. The worst part is they rarely remarked when I did well but always commented when I'd slip up. She would always seek to create problems and distance between me and other family members too - telling grandparents or aunts and uncles about supposedly awful things I said or did. So I didn't even have those people.

My parents and I don't say "I love you" to each other. I feel hugely uncomfortable with physical affection with anyone, except for my husband. It's got so bad I don't even like buying those mothers or fathers day cards that say stuff like "Best mum" or "To an awesome dad" as I cringe at how false it is.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Kind of OT
I was often berated for being a quiet and shy kid (by family members, and there was a teacher who used to pick on me me about it). I believe this resulted in my terrible low self esteem as I grew up thinking I wasn't normal. I think I even went to toilet once, to check that I was a girl after one of my friends described us as a "girl gang". I didn't feel good enough for anything, and I still don't ...

• Heart
  • Sad