Charity Shop Bargains

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m going to London in a few weeks. Does anyone have any charity shop recommendations as I have a few hours to spare on one of the days I’m there

Reactions: 2
I’m going to London in a few weeks. Does anyone have any charity shop recommendations as I have a few hours to spare on one of the days I’m there
Lots of the ones around Clapham south/Clapham Common are good, haven't been for ages so cannot remember which exactly though

Reactions: 3
I miss jumble sales! They're so hard to come by these days and it's such a shame.
The next village over does one or two a year, but they don't get a lot of donations so I see the same weird unsellable things every time 😂
There's a really good Scouts jumble sale 2x a year that I drive at least half an hour to another county go to which is just like the ones I remember from childhood - heaving great piles of clothes for pennies just separated out into adults & kids, small bric a brac on tables round the edge, a table of books in the middle and bigger items outside. It's chaos, it's cheap, and it's so much fun! People queue for ages to get in (costs 50p for adults) and fill multiple bin liners each - the scouts must make a good chunk of cash. Definitely need sharp elbows for this one!
I've had some fantastic bargains from there (best was 50p linen jumpsuit - I wear that all the time).
I guess there's a lot of effort involved, not to mention the storage space required, so there a fewer now.

Blissfully, I have never seen an obvious trader/reseller at the jumbles - I do see them haggling at bootsales and in charity shops though.

Can you find jumble sales where you are? How do you find out about them?
Oh wow, jumble sales! My mum was a regular in the 1980s and 1990s, she got loads of stuff every Saturday but I must admit it turned into hoarding. You don't seem to see them much anymore, just a scout one maybe once a year.?
This was the basis for my charity shopping which I have had many bargains over the years.

Reactions: 6
I managed to get a Leapfrog electronic book with an activity book for £4! Works totally fine and in really good condition. I was well chuffed!
Also another charity shop near me sells 2 books for 99p - I've managed to get loads of books on my TBR list!

Are you a Jeff Goldblum fan? Then I have just the gift for you! Spotted in a charity shop, earlier today.

View attachment 2071191
So. Many. Questions.
---
A knitting file completely jam packed full of Alan Dart shop bought original knitting patterns and old Alan Dart magazine pull-out toy knitting patterns.. I could if I wanted to make fortune selling them on ebay..(Google them) . Some of the Beatrix Potter ones are selling for £25.00 upward, I knitted quite a few for my daughters 😊 I paid 5 pounds for the lot.
Ooh, lucky! I love his patterns.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I had been looking for some pannier bags for my cycle, then low and behold I spotted a messenger back in a charity shop so I bought it. I was really pleased with my purchase, but I was even more pleased, when I discovered the exact same bag, at the same shop.
I think what must have happened, is that they decided to sell each bag individually, rather than as a pair. They make more money that way!

I bought a Royal Worcester Clare Mackie Christmas dish/side plate . Boxed . £1.50

it’s cute & even the assistant said you have a bargain, think she meant it’s was underpriced .