Changing Hairdressers

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Change hairdressers. Can’t understand any salon being closed on Christmas week.
thanks for the advice I am seriously considering it she stated she was ill but she is running the salon whilst the owner is on Mat leave and today there were grid posts on IG of hair completed earlier this morning! Not sure that would be a priority if you were ill?! The lights were also left on inside I’m just not convinced!

Reactions: 2
thanks for the advice I am seriously considering it she stated she was ill but she is running the salon whilst the owner is on Mat leave and today there were grid posts on IG of hair completed earlier this morning! Not sure that would be a priority if you were ill?! The lights were also left on inside I’m just not convinced!
After reading this I would definitely change and not go back- sounds very suss
They don't deserve your custom

Reactions: 5
Any advice appreciated please: relatively new here anyway I have been with my current hairdresser for around 2 years, she’s usually reliable however today I have turned up to the salon with my daughter as she was booked for a cut & blow dry to find that there is nobody there and salon door was locked after waiting for 30 minutes rather disgruntled & daughter upset! I left bearing in mind I am at least a 40 minute drive from there this is after attempting to call the salon & I also messaged my hairdresser but had zero response! My teenage daughter was devastated as was I after waisting our time and travelling there! Anyway several hours later she has only just replied saying sorry she is unwell and thought appointment was in 3 days?! I understand being unwell but surely it’s not too much to ask to a)check your client diary and b) have the courtesy to let them know?! But to then try and fob me off claiming appointment is on another day when I know full well it wasn’t is unbelievable! Am I being unreasonable? I’ve not yet responded to her and I am now in too minds to now change my hair salon as this isn’t near me but happens to be somewhat cheaper then where I live but still reasonably happy with service they give when they do my hair! what are your thoughts on this please and how would you respond ? I should add that I then took my daughter to another salon and ended up paying more than usual just to get it sorted 🤦‍♀️
Take your money elsewhere.

As a hairstylist I can’t get my head around this 🤯

Reactions: 4
Ah I’m having the same issue but with my brows. I used to religiously use the same girl to wax my brows, but now she’s moved over exclusively to nails. I’ve got a lovely new girl but as my brows are thick she never takes enough off and the shaping is quite flat when before I used to have more arched. I thought maybe she was just new and I’d rather she build up her confidence so I’ve let it slide.

But now it’s been nearly a year (I’m an idiot!) and it’s no different. At the end of each appointment, she asks when I want to book in for next time and as I’m socially anxious, I always book again!

How do I politely not book again next time? She’s a lovely girl and I don’t want to offend but I used to love my brows and now I don’t!

Ah I’m having the same issue but with my brows. I used to religiously use the same girl to wax my brows, but now she’s moved over exclusively to nails. I’ve got a lovely new girl but as my brows are thick she never takes enough off and the shaping is quite flat when before I used to have more arched. I thought maybe she was just new and I’d rather she build up her confidence so I’ve let it slide.

But now it’s been nearly a year (I’m an idiot!) and it’s no different. At the end of each appointment, she asks when I want to book in for next time and as I’m socially anxious, I always book again!

How do I politely not book again next time? She’s a lovely girl and I don’t want to offend but I used to love my brows and now I don’t!
If I don’t want to rebook but not sure what to say in person I usually say ‘I need to check my diary when I get home because I’ve got something on / work is a bit crazy/ need to check something with work/ then I’ll be in touch’

then I just wouldn’t get in touch to rebook lol

You have to get over the need to agree, you should build up to it and practice what you’re going to say. Something like ‘can’t look at my diary right now , I’ll text you’ .

Remember you’re not wanting to go back and it’s a paid service you’re not happy with so shrug off the anxiety, it’s her not you.

If I don’t want to rebook but not sure what to say in person I usually say ‘I need to check my diary when I get home because I’ve got something on / work is a bit crazy/ need to check something with work/ then I’ll be in touch’

then I just wouldn’t get in touch to rebook lol
THANK YOU! Now I just need to work on the guilt that i will experience every time the new beautician does my brows! 😂😂

You have to get over the need to agree, you should build up to it and practice what you’re going to say. Something like ‘can’t look at my diary right now , I’ll text you’ .

Remember you’re not wanting to go back and it’s a paid service you’re not happy with so shrug off the anxiety, it’s her not you.
I’m awful as I generally have low self esteem so with that comes a driving need to please people.

It sounds silly but part of raising my self esteem is to take more care of myself but I feel like I’m back at square one now. I used to come out feeling fab but now I’m like meh.

thank you- I’ll get practicing now as I’m already booked in for the new year now 🤦🏽‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I had my colour done a week ago and I hate it! At the time, she said I didn't "need" a toner (I suspect she was too busy) and now my hair looks really stripey!

I should really go back and ask her to tone and correct it, but I know she'll charge me for this. I'd have happily paid first time round but feel aggrieved I'll have to pay to have it rectified.

I had my colour done a week ago and I hate it! At the time, she said I didn't "need" a toner (I suspect she was too busy) and now my hair looks really stripey!

I should really go back and ask her to tone and correct it, but I know she'll charge me for this. I'd have happily paid first time round but feel aggrieved I'll have to pay to have it rectified.
Try a good quality silver/purple shampoo, leave it on for 15/20 mins you’ll see an improvement x

THANK YOU! Now I just need to work on the guilt that i will experience every time the new beautician does my brows! 😂😂

I’m awful as I generally have low self esteem so with that comes a driving need to please people.

It sounds silly but part of raising my self esteem is to take more care of myself but I feel like I’m back at square one now. I used to come out feeling fab but now I’m like meh.

thank you- I’ll get practicing now as I’m already booked in for the new year now 🤦🏽‍♀️
You could cancel the NY appointment, do it . It’s easier by email or text.

Just say I’ll check when I’m free and I’ll let you know.

this exact thing happened to me last month and because I’m a non confrontational mofo and my hairdresser is one of these Insta famous babes I really secretly want to be my friend I went to boots and bought Bleach London toner, silver shampoo and conditioner. Spent about £20 when I should have just been honest in the hairdressers but that’s what a lifetime of being an introvert will do for ya x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Not to be harsh but If you’re the one paying you can see anyone you want even if it’s awkward. We’ve seen different stylists in the same salon. The original person was fully booked. I sent him a message and he was sweet about it. Then when we went again another stylist had a last minute opening which I took. Loved his energy that much more. So we always rebook with the second.

We did give both a giftcard for Christmas.

If they f**k up tell them. Our salon says they will fix it despite the cost to them, but not if you go to someone else then come back to them.

I’ve been the non confrontational person in the past, so do understand how hard it can be. If you’re not happy with the service don’t let people walk all over you.If you’re on the spot say you’ll get back to them.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I was told to dress for the hairstyle you want. If you go in tracky bottoms and a baggy T-shirt then the hairdresser will assume you want something easy to look after.
Full make-up, killer heels, acrylic nails and she might assume you are high maintenance and want something that might require lots of product, straightening etc.
Also tell her about your lifestyle. If you have two kids to get to school and then have to go to work and look smart, tell her so she can style your hair to suit that.

You can get a lot of good wash out toners now. Maybe try one of those @Mojojojo67 if you’ve not gone back?

I got a correction done at a new salon I went to once as it was diabolical and I’d spent a lot. The manageress was very apologetic. They corrected it enough for me to go elsewhere. My last ‘stylist’ overprocesssed my hair, my new stylist was horrified, said she hadn’t seen anything so bad in years. That one blanked me when I’d tried to rebook so I didn’t complain as it was a very brash salon and I didn’t want the aggro so I just went elsewhere. But I have a fab hairdresser now who really knows and cares for hair.

Just ring/message to cancel your next appointment. As long as you give plenty of notice for her to fill your spot, nothing she can say :)