Change of career in 30s

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do you feel like 30 is too late to start or change career? I’ve never really known what I’ve wanted to do, and worked in retail/admin roles mostly but I recently started a new job in a hospital and I can really see myself moving up in this role, and there is training opportunities which might be available to me in a couple of years time. Is it too late to be starting a career do you think? I know I have 35+ years of employment left so want to do something I enjoy! Has anyone else changed careers in their 30s/40s and how did you find it? For reference I have no kids so that might make it slightly different for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Do you feel like 30 is too late to start or change career? I’ve never really known what I’ve wanted to do, and worked in retail/admin roles mostly but I recently started a new job in a hospital and I can really see myself moving up in this role, and there is training opportunities which might be available to me in a couple of years time. Is it too late to be starting a career do you think? I know I have 35+ years of employment left so want to do something I enjoy! Has anyone else changed careers in their 30s/40s and how did you find it? For reference I have no kids so that might make it slightly different for me.
It’s never to late! Life is short, go for it. Having no children yet also goes in your favour. So happy for you that you’ve found your calling x

Reactions: 15
Nope. I went back to uni aged 33 to do midwifery. Qualified at 36

In my cohort the eldest was in her 50s

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
Never too late! You have many years of work ahead of you, it’s great you’ve found something you love. Go for it!

Reactions: 1
I’m not really planning to have kids at the moment, but the course I will hopefully be training for takes 2 years, but I won’t be able to go for that for a year or so either so just don’t want it to get in the way of anything! I think career is more important in the long term.

It sounds like you’ve already started a new career and good on you! This new job sounds full of prospects and you should absolutely go for it. The days of have a single job all your life are over, it’s definitely never too late to try something new. Good luck!

Reactions: 6
Never to late! My dad started his own business at 45 doing something he’d never done before. He’s done really well!

Reactions: 8
You're still young! :) Never too late really, for me the hard part is if I'd have to take a drop in salary to accommodate the change as that affects my life more.
Can I be super nosy and ask what the career change is? I work in a hospital and have predominantly worked in admin so I'd be interested to know what opportunities may be out there 🙂

Reactions: 3
Aww amazing!! It’s never too late! I’ve been at home raising my boys now for 5 years. The youngest two are not starting school. I’m taking this as my opportunity to make a career for myself.

I have very little academic qualifications do I’m literally starting from scratch. Before my youngest two boys I worked in childcare. It’s a little daunting the thought Of starting from scratch at 31 but I’m excited.
Seen this and thought I’d share

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Never too late. Go for it. Life if too short to be unhappy - we spend so much time at work, let it be something you love

Reactions: 2
30 is young! I did a postgrad degree designed for people looking to convert into a totally different career path. There were all sorts of ages, youngest being around 23 ish I'd say up to people in their 50s and 60s.

You're still young! :) Never too late really, for me the hard part is if I'd have to take a drop in salary to accommodate the change as that affects my life more.
Can I be super nosy and ask what the career change is? I work in a hospital and have predominantly worked in admin so I'd be interested to know what opportunities may be out there 🙂
It’s pharmacy! There is opportunities to do student tech course in the future (if you pass the interview when it comes up) which would be exciting, there would be a drop in salary when training but worth it in the long run as theres lots of avenues you can take once qualified. I work in a teaching hospital so may be more training opportunities compared to other hospitals.

I’m hoping to go to University next September and I’ll be 31. I’ve been worried for ages about doing it, thinking I was too old, I haven’t got children yet so was worried about that etc etc but then I just thought, what if I was 34 and still in the same position I’m in now! I could be happily qualified by the time I’m 33 and then could think about children then.

Hopefully it all works out! I think you should go for it!!

Never too late to do what you would enjoy!!

if you’re 30 now and think thats old, imagine you still have to work this length of time(30-35 yrs) still so why not spend it doing something you actualky want.

I went to uni as a single mum at 30, we won’t be retiring til 65 most likely so a change of career In Your 30s is still 30 years of your new job x

Reactions: 2
Love all of these responses ❤

Totally agree. Life is short, and definitely not over at 30! Go for it! :) The year I graduated someone who was around 70 graduated at the same time. That's the kinda attitude to life that I hope I have.

Not sure this is the right thread to post this on but I am thinking of changing my career. I've been a HR Assistant/Payroll Clerk for a number of years now. I much prefer the payroll side and dealing with numbers and figures, I find it has a routine and I like to work methodically. I really struggle to deal with the 'human' side of HR, I feel inexperienced still after years of training and experience 😬 I've applied and been offered a trainee accounts clerk job, the only issue is that although I enjoy working with numbers, I'm crap at maths 😂 I have managed so far with the payroll because I find it so satisfying when I'm able to work something out and solve a problem. I did pass maths at school as well, albeit with the help of a tutor... Would I be stupid to go for it?