Challenge and Goal Thread - Small challenges and goals to take on throughout the year

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So a bunch of us were chatting on the dating thread and decided to make a thread about this.

This is a small challenge and goal thread where we, for a certain amount (usually 2-4 weeks) choose (safe!) challenges and goals for ourselves. This thread is to help with motivation, give ideas, and maybe do a challenge together if we feel like it. A bit like a new year's resolution but for small amounts of time and far less pressure!

Some examples include:
  • intermitting fasting but with my phone so 8 hours allowed, 16 hours no phone
  • no social media
  • no fizzy drinks
  • no refined sugar
  • a daily walk
  • daily yoga
  • reading before bed
  • spending 1 hour doing something you like
  • waking up earlier
  • not hitting snooze
really can be anything that you feel like you want to do to improve your life or just give yourself a bit of a push. I find them fun and I thought maybe we could have a bit of a community here!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Defo need to join the not hitting snooze one!!

Iv put that bedtime thing on my phone which defo helps with screen time and Iv started trying to read again (although I managed to read a full book last night lol) so still went to bed dead late! But felt better than watching tit on tv / Instagram!

Defo keen to join in the challenges!

Steps might be a good one but hard to do now it’s dark on a night xx

Reactions: 1
Suggestion ...watch one episode of a show / series you wouldn't normally even look at ?

Good way to try new genres based on recommendations of others ?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
🤣
Defo need to join the not hitting snooze one!!

Iv put that bedtime thing on my phone which defo helps with screen time and Iv started trying to read again (although I managed to read a full book last night lol) so still went to bed dead late! But felt better than watching tit on tv / Instagram!

Defo keen to join in the challenges!

Steps might be a good one but hard to do now it’s dark on a night xx
Yeah that is one that I can't do. They say put the alarm so you have to get out of bed but I will fully turn it off and get back into bed and if I put it in another room then I wont hear it!

I'm up for any suggestions what to do first? I really like the genre one that @Bagpuss7 has suggested especially as it's colder now so can't do much in the way of walking.

My suggestion which might be a bit ambitious from 1st of November - December 1st no *whatever it is you consume a lot of at Christmas* so I do sugar/chocolate cause I will funnel that tit into my mouth in December like it's no one's business but if it's alcohol you could do that or crisps, Chips, fast food. Whatever your fancy! I enjoy it cause it's more enjoyable for me come December when I'm scoffing my face.

I also like to do a "no spend" (besides essentials/pre approved purchases) in November so we could do that?

I love this idea. Really good thread.

I also like to do a "no spend" (besides essentials/pre approved purchases) in November so we could do that?
That might be a bit hard with Christmas present buying or is that part of essential spending?

What about trying to do one act of kindness a day? Say helping someone with their bags/complimenting a stranger/offering to babysit so a friend can go out?
Something small - babysitting might be too big.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I love this idea. Really good thread.

That might be a bit hard with Christmas present buying or is that art of essential spending?

What about trying to do one act of kindness a day? Say helping someone with their bags/complimenting a stranger/offering to babysit so a friend can go out?
Something small - babysitting might be too big.
Christmas would count as a pre-approved purchase so for example, I've got to buy my dad a CD which doesn't come out until November so that will be budgeted in.

I really like the kindness one!

How about we suggest ideas until maybe a week Friday? then I'll do a poll of ideas what we can vote on and then start Monday November 1st?

Reactions: 4
Ooooh I love this idea! Definitely want to be involved, I don't have any of my own ideas but look forward to hearing everyone elses suggestions!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Christmas would count as a pre-approved purchase so for example, I've got to buy my dad a CD which doesn't come out until November so that will be budgeted in.

I really like the kindness one!

How about we suggest ideas until maybe a week Friday? then I'll do a poll of ideas what we can vote on and then start Monday November 1st?
Yes that’s a brill idea and then it falls in nicely with new month = fresh start!

what about a "no phone/laptop/work after a certain time" goal?
I've been trying to turn my laptop off by 8pm this week. Just watching tv after 8pm and properly watching not just sat scrolling through my phone

what about a "no phone/laptop/work after a certain time" goal?
I've been trying to turn my laptop off by 8pm this week. Just watching tv after 8pm and properly watching not just sat scrolling through my phone
I’d prefer to give up my phone! I’ve found books In my room that I bought years ago and gave not touched…but I can tell you about Shelly going out last night and how many shots she did with the photos she’s posted 😂

I’d prefer to give up my phone! I’ve found books In my room that I bought years ago and gave not touched…but I can tell you about Shelly going out last night and how many shots she did with the photos she’s posted 😂
Phone is a good one! I'm not really on my phone that much but my laptop is my tech go-to so that's what I would do.
I think we can all just tailor it to our own thing cause everyone's circumstance is different so someone might need to be on their phone while others are fine. It's like, in my ideal world I'd leave my phone off downstairs at night but I have sensory issues with noise and anxiety, and live with noisy people so I listen to music when I get anxious. If I lived alone it would be different.

Maybe yours can be read a chapter of a book each night? 🤣 Unless you do that already🤣

I've been trying, though probably not as hard as I could be, to put my phone to the other side of the room once I go upstairs to bed. Going to try harder to commit to that every single night, no scrolling in bed before going to sleep or just after waking.

I'm trying really hard too to stick strictly to my skincare routine, take my time with it. Its turned into a really enjoyable activity now, its a relaxing few mins.

How about wearing something that you haven’t worn before/for a year, each week/3days/every day?

I’ve got so much nice stuff I haven’t worn and I stick to the same boring shut all the time. It’s not like it’s inappropriate for my lifestyle. I just stick to tried and tested.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
How about wearing something that you haven’t worn before/for a year, each week/3days/every day?

I’ve got so much nice stuff I haven’t worn and I stick to the same boring shut all the time. It’s not like it’s inappropriate for my lifestyle. I just stick to tried and tested.
ooh I like this idea! I once made my own capsule wardrobe, picked enough outfits that I could mix and match for a week and then tied the rest of my clothes up. It was really good and I got rid of a lot of stuff after that as it really showed me the stuff I did and didn't need

I've done some month long resolutions this year, they've been easier to stick with than New Year ones.

Some require a habit every day and constant vigilance, some are just a thing (or group of related things) that's been on the to do list for ages. It depends on how motivated I'm feeling on the last few days of the preceding month which type I choose.

If it helps anyone, here are some from the last year and some on the to do list -

Dry School Nights (no alcohol Sunday to Thursday)

Less Bread - expanding my lunch menu and not leaning on toast to snack

Less Sugar - pre plan what you are allowing yourself and what you're cutting out.

A walk a night - easier in summer!

Related - a modest/achievable weight loss goal

Less phone time - phone in another room when reading/watching something/after 8pm.

Learning a language- one exercise/chapter a night of a beginner course.

Reading goals.

Declutter a space, take unwanted items to charity or ebay them.

Decorate a room.

Improving posture - the most challenging so far, requires constant vigilance, lots of (small groups of) exercises and reminder alarms.

ooh I like this idea! I once made my own capsule wardrobe, picked enough outfits that I could mix and match for a week and then tied the rest of my clothes up. It was really good and I got rid of a lot of stuff after that as it really showed me the stuff I did and didn't need
I will have to skip this one because of my wardrobe in my clothes don’t fit me anymore 😒😫 so I stick to the same clothes because it fits xx

I like the no consuming of anything Christmas goodies wise til the 1st December....so no mince pies or quality street etc 🥴

• Haha
That’s a fantastic idea. Its a bigger challenge but maybe we could have small weekly ones and a big monthly one?

That’s a fantastic idea. Its a bigger challenge but maybe we could have small weekly ones and a big monthly one?
ooh good idea! How about a 3 week big one and 1 week small one? so for example, after Christmas when we've all had new things, we could have a big challenge of a clothes challenge for the first 3 weeks of jan and then the small challenge could be a sort out (using what we've learned from the big challenge) for the week.

I also did a plastic challenge. So I went 3 weeks using as little plastic as possible and avoiding single use plastic as much as I could. That was a good one and a lot harder than I thought!