Cervical cancer

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You don’t need to do anything- the vast majority of people have HPV and if never causes any problems. Chances are your boyfriend also has it. Just both be mindful of any changes and go to see your Doctor if either of you notice anything untoward - eg. Genital warts/irregular bleeding/bleeding after sex etc
Thank you, I appreciate the reassurance.

Reactions: 1
Had my colposcopy yesterday after a smear result of high-risk HPV and low grade changes, the test yesterday confirmed my changes are definitely only low grade so didn't need treatment/extra follow ups as my body should clear it on its own. The doctor also said that because I've had the HPV vaccine, while I do have high-risk HPV it's not as bad as the types that I'm vaccinated against.

Colposcopy itself was fine, super quick and no real pain or discomfort for me personally.

Reactions: 5
Had my colposcopy yesterday after a smear result of high-risk HPV and low grade changes, the test yesterday confirmed my changes are definitely only low grade so didn't need treatment/extra follow ups as my body should clear it on its own. The doctor also said that because I've had the HPV vaccine, while I do have high-risk HPV it's not as bad as the types that I'm vaccinated against.

Colposcopy itself was fine, super quick and no real pain or discomfort for me personally.
This is really quite reassuring to read so thank you for posting, as I have had high risk HPV result and due colposcopy in a week

• Heart
This is really quite reassuring to read so thank you for posting, as I have had high risk HPV result and due colposcopy in a week
I got myself in a real tizz about my colposcopy and I was really surprised at how ok it was. Yes, it’s embarrassing and yes, it’s uncomfortable but I actually found the speculum insertion more comfortable than the smear and the women doing the procedure were so lovely. Just as I was starting to get to the point where I was thinking “when is this going to be over” it was all done

Had my colposcopy during the week. The nurse was so, so lovely and it was completely fine. Just to ask though, has anyone ever felt really faint after theirs? Felt really dizzy after my initial smear (put it down to the room it was done in - dark and windowless) but felt the same after my colposcopy this week. Dizzy, faint, pale. Nurse put me on an oxygen cannula for a few minutes until I came back to myself. Really don't intend for this post to scare/worry anyone but just wondering if anyone else is the same?

Had my colposcopy during the week. The nurse was so, so lovely and it was completely fine. Just to ask though, has anyone ever felt really faint after theirs? Felt really dizzy after my initial smear (put it down to the room it was done in - dark and windowless) but felt the same after my colposcopy this week. Dizzy, faint, pale. Nurse put me on an oxygen cannula for a few minutes until I came back to myself. Really don't intend for this post to scare/worry anyone but just wondering if anyone else is the same?
Do you get nervous before the procedures? Could just be the adrenaline coupled with being laid down. How is your blood pressure normally? Did you have anything to eat prior to your appointments?

I suppose because I had signs of cervical abnormalities, maybe I was a little apprehensive? Not something I'd lost sleep over though! Had bloods done at Christmas which were fine, as was BP! Could just be nerves or adrenaline though as you say! Strange all the same!

Yes. I had a colposcopy last year and was probably about 10 seconds off passing out until the nurse got me water and gave me air. Was horrible. The actual colposcopy was fine but I think it was the nerves of it all and panic that when it was done I just became overwhelmed a bit maybe?

When I’ve been really anxious over something I usually get these symptoms afterwards from the adrenaline rush! I also seem to get really lightheaded when laying down so I don’t think it’s related to the colposcopy itself Xxx

Has anyone experienced hip pain as a symptom? It feels like someone is pressing on my hip all day:confused:
it could be something else but I’ve also had on and off pelvic pain for a while so it’s hard to not worry! I’m waiting for my ultrasound appointment but it would be good to hear what you guys think

Ladies I’m in a bit of a tizzy. I had HPV positive and abnormal cells on 1st smear, went for a colposcopy and told happy to leave for 1 year. Went back for another smear and same so back in for another colposcopy. Results showed abnormal cells and treatment needed. Booked for another colposcopy on Monday. They don’t specify what treatment but on reading, I assume it’s going to be LLETZ? Anyone ever had it? Was it sore? I’m so anxious about it and desperately want to cancel but I won’t because that would be silly. Just looking for some reassurance really and anyones experience as I’m panicking a bit

Ladies I’m in a bit of a tizzy. I had HPV positive and abnormal cells on 1st smear, went for a colposcopy and told happy to leave for 1 year. Went back for another smear and same so back in for another colposcopy. Results showed abnormal cells and treatment needed. Booked for another colposcopy on Monday. They don’t specify what treatment but on reading, I assume it’s going to be LLETZ? Anyone ever had it? Was it sore? I’m so anxious about it and desperately want to cancel but I won’t because that would be silly. Just looking for some reassurance really and anyones experience as I’m panicking a bit
Yes I’ve had LLETZ.

Don’t worry - it’s honestly not that bad, I promise!

you’ll go in, and have the colposcopy as before, and while “in there” they will probably use Some iodine swabs to highlight the irregular cells - they wipe the cervix with iodine soaked swabs, it doesn’t hurt but iodine smells like vinegar so there’s that!!!
The LLETZ is a thin heated metal string - kinda like metal fishing wire I guess. It’s connected to a machine that passes an electric current round it which makes it hot so that as they use it, it automatically cauterises the tissue. They will numb your cervix first with an injection of local first which doesn’t hurt it’s just a slight sting for a few seconds. Then they remove the tissue they want - again it’s not sure but the machine makes a noise and unfortunately you can smell the smell of the tissue being cauterised….. snells like if you singe your hair on a candle!!! It takes about 15 minutes. Afterwards they pop some stuff onto the cervix to help it heal and to stop any infections - I can’t remember what it’s called - but it comes out over the next few days so expect some bloody discharge with what looks like coffee granules in it!

you might have some spotting or bleeding afterwards but it’s not a procedure that’s sore particularly.

You’ll be absolutely fine!!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’ve had LLETZ too and very similar experience to the poster above :giggle: It will be over before you know. The worst bit for me was the discharge afterwards had the most horrible smell.

• Heart
Thanks ladies. That’s really reassuring. Here’s hoping Monday goes by fast then and I’ll be relaxed back at home by 2:30 pm!

• Heart
I had a coloscopy a few days ago as my smear showed HPV and low grade 1 abnormal cells. I'm usually good with pain but I found the coloscopy quite painful. He said he could see grade 1 and 2 (i think it's called grade, sorry if it's not) and done a biopsy and said I may need to have LLETZ.

I've had light bleeding since Thursday, it hasn't got any heavier but hoping it will stop soon!

• Heart
I haven’t posted on here for a while but I just wanted to thank everyone for their kindness about my first post.
I plucked up the courage to make an appointment it was a different nurse to the first one and even though it was quite difficult to relax at first once it was in shall we say it was over really fast.
I think it must be down on my notes that it’s a struggle as I got asked “Is she going to be a diva today?
Sending love to you all that need it ❤

• Heart
Update for you all - had the LLETZ and although I totally embarrassed myself by bursting into tears on the bed before she started, I didn’t feel anything (slight twinge maybe when the jag went in but that’s the most I felt if anything) and was over before I knew it! Felt like such a fool for crying but I was just so panicked and stressed. Anyhoo, now dealing with the awful discharge (what even is that smell!!) and needing to wait for the results but just feel like I’m walking on air now it’s done and out the way! Here’s hoping for clearance and regular smears from here on out! Thanks for all the advice and experiences shared, was really helpful and very appreciated too!

• Heart
Reactions: 4