Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
A really good antidote to all the P.C. nonsense, is to immerse yourself in a Carry On film. Most of them were extremely well written and funny. We could certainly do with some escapism at the moment.
Am I the only Carry On fan on Tattle?

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 21

Hello Kitty

VIP Member
Love Carry on films and as another poster mentioned, On the Buses. I could watch these films everyday and never get bored. I'm 31 and have been watching them for years.

They are on ITV3 alot on a bank holidays but I have most of them on DVD anyway šŸ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 14

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
R.I.P. Barbara Windsor. Thanks for the many happy memories.
Carry On Spying
Carry On Doctor
Carry On Camping
Carry On Again Doctor
Carry On Henry
Carry Matron
Carry On Abroad
Carry On Girls
Carry On Dick
Various episodes of Carry On Laughing.

• Sad
Reactions: 8

ClockworkDolly

VIP Member
So sad to hear of Dame Barbara Windsorā€™s death. šŸ˜¢ I grew up watching the Carry On films. There was nothing offensive about them, just a good saucy laugh. I am glad they are still being shown on telly, you canā€™t bow down too much to the politically correct brigade, the permanently offended.

She was so loved by many people and she always took the time be polite to ordinary people, i.e., people who were not famous.

Many of these jumped-up reality stars could take a leaf out of her book, the likes of Gemma Collins who would not know how to be gracious and polite to people.

Dame Barbara, may you rest in peace from this cruel disease. Her infectious giggle lives on. šŸ˜„šŸ’œ

Banned from nearly every pub in the town he lived in.
Blimey what an old devil. Who would have thought it.

Droosie123

VIP Member
Oh they were fabulous, the seaside postcard saucy humour, Barbara Windsor as Nurse May in Carry In Doctor, Sid James as a layabout malingering patient and Dandy Nichols as his wife.

Carry On Camping..ā€ooh Matron, take them awayā€. Proud to own a Hattie Jaques ā€œ ā€œChayste Placeā€ tee shirt.

Mrs Fussy ā€œI donā€™t want to hear of any unnecessariness when my Joan gets backā€
Sid Boggle ā€œwhat makes you think thatā€™s unnecessary?ā€

Carry on Screaming .Fenella Fielding and her line ā€œdo you mind if I smokeā€ followed by smoke emanating from all around her,

• Haha

Facehugger

VIP Member
Love a good old Carry On, got the DVD box set off Santa a few years ago. I don't know why but carry on at your convenience is my favourite, WC Boggs and all that. šŸ¤£

• Haha
Reactions: 7

Clairer86

VIP Member
aww I love the Carry On films! Im 34 now, but i remember watching them with my dad from an early age, and ive still got some videos of them. Carry on Abroad, Carry on Dont lose your head, and Carry on at your convenience are my favourites.

Droosie123

VIP Member
Joan Sims was amazing and was born in the town I am from. My son went to nursery in the building she lived in by Laindon Railway Station.

Even though there was a nursery upstairs (donā€™t think the nursery is there any more) the walls downstairs had various photographs of Joan lining the walls.

My Mum in Law went to school with her (different years) and had the same drama teacher. The teacher used to call my Mum in Law ā€œanother Joan Simsā€ and she got offered a place at drama school which her father refused to allow her to accept.

Then again I think the acting profession brought its own demons for Joan so maybe my Mum in Law had a lucky escape.

ClockworkDolly

VIP Member
I am a fan of the Carry On films too. I grew up with them and they are saucy and a good laugh. šŸ¤£ Nothing offensive about them at all.

Reverend

VIP Member
I just think they are great, old fashioned, a bit date - so what! - British films.
It's been summed up best by Quentin Tarantino, who said "No one ever said the Carry On movies were art, but they were very funny,"

• Heart

Norfolking Good

VIP Member
I absolutely love them and they officially finished before I was born. My husband thinks Iā€™m tragic still watching them but they are gentle comedy and you know what youā€™re getting.
My favourite is watching Joan Sims trying not to laugh in a lot of the scenes, especially Donā€™t Lose Your Head with Charles Hawtrey in the rose arbor when he says ā€˜your brother, the countā€™ and she nearly goes šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 6

Miss Havisham

VIP Member
I love the Carry On movies, and I am also fascinated by most of the actors.

The Kenneth Williams Diaries is a fantastic read. It is rather sad, but also very amusing. I felt like I was living his life, as I read through it,

Charles Hawtrey is another interesting character. A raging alcoholic, who was very indiscreet in his love life - despite homosexuality being illegal for most of his adult life. He didnā€™t bother pretending.
I heard that he could be really rude to fans asking for autographs, telling them to f***k off. His drinking around the clock probably contributed to his rudeness. He also took his mother almost everywhere with him (even she was suffering with advanced dementia).

Kenneth Williams had close friendships with Hattie Jaques, Joan Sims and Barbara Windsor. He even went along on honeymoon with Barbara, when she married Ronnie Knight.
He couldnā€™t stand Sid James..

Linkylu

Chatty Member
A really good antidote to all the P.C. nonsense, is to immerse yourself in a Carry On film. Most of them were extremely well written and funny. We could certainly do with some escapism at the moment.
Am I the only Carry On fan on Tattle?
Me too! Thereā€™s usually one on on a Sunday..just takes me back to my childhood and much needed laughs.

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
That was the problem, the alternative comedians ruined it.
The Carry Ons were definitely a product of their time, and were all the better for it. I hope they are never tempted to make a new one though, can you imagine how awful it would be?

Sjc_80

I always though Joan Simms had the most beautiful, kind eyes. She's my favourite Carry On actor. There are a few docs on Sky about the CO films. I watched one the other day and Joan Simms was talking about how another cast member pranked her by filling her wine glass with gin instead of water. It then showed the scene (the director loved her reaction and kept the scene take in) afterwards and it was hilarious. Both me and my husband for giggling for ages afterwards.

I just think they are great, old fashioned, a bit date - so what! - British films.

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
R.I.P. Rosalind Knight 1933-2020.
She appeared as Nurse Nightingale in Carry On Nurse, and Miss Wheeler in Carry On Teacher.

• Sad