Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

LylaJovana

She's genuinely moaning about having not being able to save money this year to have a bespoke wardrobe made for her ballgowns.... people are struggling to put food on their table, Carrie, but let's all take a moment to sympathize with your champagne problems. Read the fucking room for once, you ignorant overprivileged brat. 😡

• Angry
Reactions: 31

ShinyEspeon

Chatty Member
Here’s the thing. I get the upset because my career is technical theatre. I miss my job and my colleagues terribly, we were all laid off by Cameron Mackintosh at the end of August and that included people who had worked at those venues over 20 years. No one was spared. He didn’t rehire anyone new on the tech side for Mis, it was entirely rich actors, FOH staff, and stage door keepers. The latter two group I feel most sorry for.

I watched my friends finally getting back to work these past two weeks and felt a glimmer of hope, most of us have been working supermarket shifts or joining the nhs in some capacity to get through these past few months - unlike Carrie who has done sweet FA with her time. Having that taken away when people are still allowed to crowd Oxford Street is gutting.

I agree she has been tone deaf, and people are dying. But writing us all off as “actors who should know better” is a slap in the face. A lot of us are tech staff with bills to pay who have worked very very hard to be in this industry. And I am bloody sick of being told we should “know this and have back up careers”. No, the government should support us better. There were better Covid measures in place in those buildings than any of the supermarkets I’ve been to all year - including my own!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 30

Poothe

VIP Member
In that last vlogmas video, is it just me or does she sound *really* out of breath when walking along Oxford St, and even more so when she is going *down* the stairs at the Gielgud to the new corridor? How can a singer sound so unfit? Or is it that stupid mask she is wearing, that appears to be way too restrictive in terms of air flow given the way it sucks in when she breathes in? I haven't seen anybody else's covid face nappies behave quite like that.
As a nurse, and as someone currently vulnerable to Covid as I am receiving chemotherapy, I’m grateful she is setting an example and wearing a mask, and also filming herself wearing it. She’s done a lot of dumb things lately but I don’t think she should be knocked for how her mask looks.

Reactions: 28

notjust_vanilla

I still find it funny that she tries to insist that she's from a working class background when she was on the west end as an actual child and is even on the original London cast recording of Chitty. Her voice is so posh these days too, I really noticed it when watching her story about bookshop.org , it was actually quite grating to listen to her. Felt like I was listening to a teacher.
This is gonna be a bit of a rant about class, so I hope I don't offend anyone, it is just based on my experiences!

As a working-class kid, I can tell you for sure that she isn't one (at least on an outside view). I went to a sh*tty secondary school and my parents had no money to give my sister and I any lessons to have a practicable hobby (like dance, music, gymnastics, ice skating etc.). I never went on holiday until I was older when dad managed to claw himself up to a decent paying position at his job. I managed to work my ass off to get into a good university but I felt so out of place because most people in my halls were so much wealthier than I was (my roommate had like 6 pairs of loubs and when she broke her phone, her mum drove up the next day to buy her a new one 😂).

Obviously, I'm not bashing people who are well off (I am more well off than my parents are 😅), but it's so irritating when people claim that they are something that they're not. Luckily most people I ended up being friends with acknowledged their privilege and it's a very respectable trait imo.

Going on a Disney holiday every year, getting driven around to west end auditions, and going to private school (even if her brother paid for it) is not a working-class life 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 27

KeriRhys

VIP Member
So this is the first time I've posted on a Carrie thread, but I've been a long time lurker.
I've followed her for a while on insta and she never really bothered me, but over the last few months she's really started to annoy me! Anyway, she done a q+a recently (shock horror) and someone asked about how bad covid testing was, her reply was along the lines of not that bad and she always went for the nose swab rather than her throat. I messaged her to point out (as a nurse and frontline worker who regularly gets tested) that it should be both, throat then the nose with the same swab (🤢I know) ...and well, she blocked me! 😂 I wasn't rude or abrupt, or speaking out of turn, I just felt the need to point out if she wasn't getting tested properly it could be returning false negatives! She has such an immature attitude to her SM at times!! 🙄
I couldn't care less and have actually enjoyed not seeing her constant boomerangs and her bloody cat on my feed!!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 26

majestic26

VIP Member
I studied musical theatre, I know many in the industry, I love the industry, I support the industry. But the way lots of people in it have reacted to the lockdowns has made me cringe and roll my eyes. It's so overdramatic. Everyone is making sacrifices, everyone is losing out in a myriad of ways. Oh woe is me, I've just sung my last Les Mis show for I don't know how long, and now I have to go back to my lovely big house in the suburbs and relax without worrying about putting food on the table. People are dying.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

ruthg19

Idk if this is too snarky, but I have so much second hand embarrassment for Carrie, she left out carrots and cookies for Santa. At the age of 28. What does she do on Christmas Morning, just clean it away when it inevitably doesn’t get eaten? Does she not find that painfully cringe-making? Big yikes.

• Haha
Reactions: 24

MysteryGuessed

Since we love a bit of data...!

The Dear Auntie Carrie post is 1029 words long.

The advice to the reader makes up only 11% of the post.

Words like "I" and "me" make up 34% of the post.

So to the person who said this was just an excuse for Carrie to talk about herself... correct.

• Haha
Reactions: 24

Ripley Rose Kat

VIP Member
Carrie is so ignorant because she's barely said a word, if anything, about theatres across the country closing but as soon as her show is cancelled, it's the end of the world.

• Heart
Reactions: 23

PocketRLocket

From the (admittedly little) we know about it already, I can't see this being well reviewed. It feels really tacky.

A few points which I find weird about this production:

1. The website is really shonky. The garish colours make it look like a geocities site from the 00s. You'd think with the money behind this show they'd want a good website. Especially when they're aiming the show towards a younger audience, which brings me to the next point.

2. Their social media presence is shocking. They follow 10 people on twitter, one of them inexplicably being Russell Crowe(???). But they don't follow Victoria Hamilton-Barritt, the only other actor cast in the show. Wtf?!

3. They've been inviting people to submit their work for a lyric video. But what are people getting out of it? There's no prize, no reward. They're just trying to get people to submit their work so they can use it on a YouTube video without paying someone to actually make a proper lyric video. Also, this whole endeavour seems to be failing due to that lack of engagement I mentioned earlier. They're still asking for people submissions by Friday as half of the song hasn't been done yet, according to this:
    Screenshot 2020-11-19 at 19.33.46.png

4. They're acting like this show already has a fanbase. They've clearly been inspired by fan videos for Heathers and Hamilton etc. But those shows earned that status. We know next to nothing about this show, so asking people to give time and energy to it is a big undertaking.

5. References and homages are difficult to get right. The ref to "In My Own Little Corner" is bad, because it all it does is remind us of a much better musical that we could be watching instead.

6. And finally - Carrie will not be able to reach that last note after a couple of weeks into this show. Mark my words. It's a horrid note and ALW shouldn't have written it in.

Sorry this is so long! I work in theatre production and it's frankly just astounding me that the work being done on this show is so amateur. I'm kind of fascinated. Feels like ALW is just doing it all himself in his office to save £££.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 22

Merida

I’m so exhausted with the narrative that “London thinks they’re special and should be above the rules!!” No we’re fucking exhausted that our friends aren’t getting any financial support and haven’t done since March. We’re frustrated that we only just got some hope and it was snuffed out. We’re angry that it’s apparently still acceptable to pile into shops that don’t limit the numbers of customers in them, but you can’t go to a reduced capacity theatre. We’re mourning our friends who have passed and those who will never rejoin the industry. But we don’t think we are above the rules. We have closed and we’ll deal with it but we are allowed to be frustrated and exhausted.

Being painted as selfish, arrogant and pompous by everyone outside the M25 is childish. We aren’t silver spoon millionaires, the bulk of the people in the industry are working class physical labourers. There’s a small elite like Carrie, Michael Ball, Alfie Boe, who won’t have struggled anywhere near as badly financially as 99% of their colleagues. Stop painting us all with the same brush.

Yes London should have been Tier 3 after lockdown, it’s ridiculous that our R rate was higher than the midlands and the north who were treated harsher. But there’s this mentality that everyone in London lives the life of Riley and got to choose this. We didn’t. It’s the minority in Westminster dictating it for the rest of us. Blame the Tories, not the citizens.
But the thing is, that goes for everyone in the industry throughout the whole of Britain. The difference is, London has been treated less harshly than other areas which haven't been allowed to open at all, and that's something people like Carrie don't seem to understand.

Everyone in the industry is struggling, and most are struggling a lot more than those who were working in the shows in London that recently closed. West End theatres and shows will easily recover when things open up especially with people like MacIntosh and ALW behind them but the damage the lockdown and lack of support have done to small community theatre is irreparable.

If Carrie and the others want to be pissed about theatres closing and not getting support throughout the whole of the UK I would be 100% behind them, but they're not, they're complaining that they're specific workplace is closed and that is just insulting to everyone else who works in the industry.

British Theatre isn't just London.

• Heart
Reactions: 22

nvngwork

"Cold and uncaring
Constantly staring
Solely concerned with
What you are wearing
Gossip and shopping
I'm the opposite of everything you are"

and she has the audacity to say its not a "i'm not like other girls" cinderella ?

• Haha
Reactions: 21

PocketRLocket

Someone asked her about thanksgiving and she said she's more of a Christmas person, with a video of her putting lights on a big tree in (I think) her garden. Someone asked why her tree was outside and she just responded "that's not my christmas tree!"...I mean......She could have elaborated. It's fair that someone thought it was her Christmas tree. She put up a video of her decorating it whilst talking about Christmas!

Answers like that just baffle me. She could say "We have this huge pine tree in my garden, we like to decorate it early! We haven't got one inside yet, but I'll show you when it arrives!" - it's just basic friendliness? When she just does a short, sharp answers like that it feels like she's snapping at people.

Reactions: 21

cherryblossomlatte

Chatty Member
I'm watching the vlog, does she really thinks she is the only person who puts food on a toperware to eat later?wait until Carrie discovers how people with full-time jobs eat.

• Haha
Reactions: 20

Merida

It's clear from carries comments that theatre to her is the West end and only the West end.
Theatres throughout the rest of the. country have not been able to reopen at all and are in far worse position than a world renowned west end show.
The theatres I work in in Edinburgh closed in March and are not planning to reopen until April at the earliest due to the restrictions.

Carrie only cares about theatres when it benefits her and not the industry as a whole.

• Heart
Reactions: 20