Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

bigbigsound

Sorry for the long post, but here goes!

Carly did a keynote presentation at an event related to my work recently and it definitely raised some eyebrows. Of particular note was the extremely detailed story she told about discrimination she experienced while moving house recently.

She had arranged for bond cleaners, but did not inform them that it would require a deep clean (which costs more) due to 17 years of her skin throughout the property. They turned up and refused to clean it, which caused her so much stress she had to change her work days. She went into detail about how she did not believe she should have to report the extra requirements of this job and that this is an example of how people with disability are held to different expectations.

Later in her speech, she spoke at length about how she is at greater risk of covid due to disability and compromised immunity, and how society/workplaces are not respectful of accommodating those needs.

Afterwards, the discussion amongst my colleagues was:
- Cannot imagine the state of the place if there was so much visible dead skin over the property that the cleaners refused to do the job.
- Cleaners are often (but not always!) low income earners from diverse, vulnerable backgrounds who do incredibly hard work. They deserve the dignity of being informed about or prepared for the nature of the work they are required to do, and if the job is not requested honestly, they should not be forced to do it.
- The complete disrespect for the health of the cleaners, which is ironic given her comments about the lack of respect for her increased risk of covid. She does not know anything about their risk profile but does not consider it. The amount of bacteria that would accumulate on 17 years of dead skin is revolting.

The whole thing was… interesting.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 25
Tattlers, just so you know, I’m very busy today keeping up with other threads. I won’t be commenting on this thread further (unless I feel like it). Please do not tag me or quote me or ask me any questions. Receiving a like and having to check my notifications is work. Thanks for your understanding.

• Haha
Reactions: 22
Between the posts I can see and screenshots that mutuals have shared with me, there’s a lot that I have wanted to say about her. I’m always confused as to why she posts what she does. Her social media content was particularly unhinged throughout 2023.

Recently she posted that it was ten years since her photo was mocked on Reddit. I thought, what a strange thing to commemorate. Why would you want to remember that? Then I realised: she wants to get trolled again. The Reddit incident back then got her media coverage and attention. But work has dried up for her lately. This is why she posts strange photos and videos of herself, passive aggressive posts about other people, starts arguments in Instagram comments and copies off others (even resorting to stalking). She’s baiting so that someone responds and she can make a big fuss about being bullied and trolled because of ableism. Then she can get back in the news and on TV again. Luckily, most people know better and don’t respond.

The stalking that I observed last year never became dangerous. It was weird, but ultimately she just wanted a reaction and a big blow up that she never got. Sad.

So I won’t share my thoughts on Carly’s recent posts, because that’s what she wants. All I’ll say is that I think she’s a sad individual who needs help and to take a break from social media.

Reactions: 21

kangaroosteak

I'm done with carly after the salvos stuff. You cant expect people to be perfect all the time when you support such a disgusting organisation. She tells people to research beforehand and do better but the rules dont apply to her. Massive hypocrite.

Reactions: 21

Listerfiend

Chatty Member
I went to look up a book on Google and for some strange reason the first result in google was Carly’s review of the book on Goodreads, no idea why.

8BF83E40-C41D-4BF9-A0C3-29ED727D43B8.jpeg

I’m fighting every urge to ask her under her review, if she reads and reviews books purely to look for casual ableism in them so she can then call it out because she needs to get a fucking life if that’s the case.

Reactions: 20

PR43

In my initial post on this thread, I touched on Carly's network of sock accounts and bullying of prominent disability advocates. I didn't want to include any names at the time, but now that Sam has spoken up - it's this. This is exactly what I was talking about. It makes me sad beyond words that Carly's behaviour has taken this toll on her mental health, but at the same time I'm so glad there's an opportunity to speak openly about it.

Sam is hands down one of Australia's most hard working, staunch and straight up disability advocates. She's dedicated her life the cause. She's also a no bullshit type of person, and she clued onto Carly's behaviour pretty early on. The consequence of this for her has been endless bullying, her friends receiving phone calls from Carly at all times of the day, essentially insisting people 'pick a side.' Through Carly's network of sock accounts, she will report and unfriend anyone who has a mutual connection with Sam, which explains why so many people were banned from her Twitter without even following or commenting on her threads to begin with.

She's cooked. The behaviour is pathologically nuts, and I'm so glad Sam has finally started a proper conversation about it. The story about the chair of People With Disabilities Australia having a heart attack is 100% true, and it was absolutely instigated by Carly's attempt to overthrow and stack the board to her own interests. I know it's easy to laugh about her, but her behaviour is deadly serious.

Sam is one of the greatest advocates this country has ever had, and for her to post what she has - while Carly casually continues to retweet fashion bullshit - tells you everything you need to know. This needs to be reported on, and her honey pot to MSM needs to be cut off. No one who stalks, bullies and ruins peoples' lives like this deserves a platform. She's genuinely dangerous and deranged, and I hope more people see this now. Cooked beyond all belief.

If anyone in this thread has a journo contact, I would highly encourage them to chase this up. No one who behaves like this deserves a public platform, and if she won't address it herself, other people should.

• Wow
Reactions: 18

SophiaCarCrashia

IMG_2333.jpeg
File this under things that never fucking happened. 1) No, mum did not say that. 2) No, you are not in the least bit mortified nor embarrassed by this fictional statement because you’re the biggest narc on Instagram, and the fake humble response to this - if it ever happened - is so far from realistic that I feel I should “educate you” on normal human behaviour. You’re being ableist towards neurotypicals.

• Haha
  • Wow
i specifically remember a few months before say hello was published, she published a post on instagram that said "i'm not going to read any reviews of my book, write your own fucking book" which in addition to being incredibly rude, is just stupid. plenty of people make a profession out of reviewing things whether it's books, movies, restaurants etc. also wildly hypocritical given that she reviews books of goodreads, albeit shittily, all the time. i don't think she's very well read, and it kind of shows in her examples of acclaimed australian authors. how about peter carey, tim winton, di morrissey, tom keneally, helen garner, geraldine brooks, richard flanagan, david malouf etc etc etc. mentioning her success as an author in the same breath as liane moriarty is fucking delusional. lol

Did she pull a muscle with that stretch?

I had a look at the person who posted this, Gabby Marie. She is disabled and wears colourful outfits that look great. Far better than Carly’s. And she wears Gorman. It’s obvious what is going on here. I hope she is alright.
Someone asked what condition it was supposed to look like, and somebody replied "Escheria, a condition that causes the skin to separate into tape like strips" and Carly liked their comment. She really is thick as a brick to not realise that the comment was sarcastic and this condition doesn’t exist. That person wasn’t agreeing with her/sticking up for her they were making fun of her. Fuck me she's probably got the IQ of a loaf of bread.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
It's definitely of some concern to see what her actual role is for fringe. If she is accessibility coordinator, you would think that she would a concise guide to all the events that's has disability access. Does it have Auslan interpreters or sensory rooms for people with sensory problems?
Why I'm vocal about her shit is that I've worked with mature people with down syndrome and what we did to cater for their needs week in week out to live a rich and fulfilling lives is nothing short of military grade logistics and planning.
Then when you follow someone like Dylan and his foundation, you can see the amount of work he does as an individual to raise awareness to to his cause. He does it without guilting other people in the process.
Then you look at the stuff Carly advocates for and how she does it. It's literally nitpicking at the small minute trivial things like which word are Abelist etc.
At the moment she's trying to tell people not to use words like crazy as it's abelist to people with mental illness. Well I'm one of this and you've never asked me, Carly also re-posted some shit by some slacktevist in murica about getting rid of psychiatric wards.
She definitely got out of her lane on that one when she doesn't know how much better it is to be at a faculty than individual home care.
She's never set foot on one to understand why it's there on the first place.
The intentions are good but I think she's done more harm in the disability community that good to be honest.
The reposting about closing inpatient psychiatric services just exemplifies how little experience and knowledge she actually has about healthcare yet speaks with such authority on it. Nobody would argue that inpatient psych is the best place for all people with mental health issues to be but in certain instances it is literally saving lives. She has obviously had an incredibly sheltered life to think that she is being an advocate for people with mental health issues by arguing that a facility that can keep them safe be taken away from them. How fucking naive to think that for someone experiencing active psychosis that involuntary commitment is ableist and not acting in the best interests of someone who is not able to act in their own best interests. Between this and her anti medical research bullshit she seriously needs to just shut the fuck up and stop applying her personal experience of healthcare to everyone else. You don’t speak for all disabled people and plenty of us don’t want your woefully misguided and in many cases harmful “advocacy”. Stick to posting ugly outfits that look like you got dressed from a lost property basket.

• Haha

bigbigsound

Love how Carly says she’s still a little unwell but she’s off to matchbox 20, Sydney and neighbors house.
She’s not crazy, she’s just a little unwell

…sorry, I know that’s terrible but I couldn’t help myself

• Haha
This was an uncomfortable thread to read. People dislike Carly for very good reasons. She invents online characters and will play 'devils advocate' by pretending to be a Carly hater to stir up controversy about herself and to invent oppression that didn't happen. She also has some bad habits including contacting workplaces and colleagues to complain about those who fall foul of her. There are groups of women this happened to. If you have a row with her for some reason be prepared to be cut off from people, defamed and lied about. Guarantee she has used this webste to submit to the Royal Commission on Disabilities to talk about the 'bullying' she constantly gets. The sad thing is that she is so angry that she doesn't know how to be happy without pushing someone else down so she can be better than them in the eyes of other people, even if she is not. She should write a cookbook or do something else she would enjoy and be happy with being herself. I feel sorry for her but not because she has a disability. Her real disability is what is inside her. Its complicated when that is caused by what has happened to you because you have a disability, which is very possible as other people have noticed. I hope she stops behaving like that.

• Wow
Reactions: 16
The fact that she said on that op shop post that she was scared to post about it because big meanie ableists would accuse the story of being fake… made me think it’s 100% fake LOL. She said the staff said she was too dirty and fat or something.

This really frustrated me as I doubt they said she was “too fat” - she was looking for a prom dress. Now I have hunted for those kinds of vintage dresses previously and they are extremely small - humans are actually much bigger than we used to be. It’s like the whole “Marilyn Monroe was a size 16” thing - no she was equivalent to a current size 8 - evidenced by even starving kimmy k not fitting into one of her dresses. They would have likely said they didn’t have anything in her size - that’s not offensive, it’s literally a fact. I’ve been told that before when looking - they are tiny dresses and she is not tiny. Fmllllll

As for her ointment ruining clothes- this is a common rant I also find frustrating. She herself has said that it’s tough to get that stuff out her her own clothes. Her having something on her that transfers is a sad reality of her condition but I find her expectations to be wild! If she gets it on a clothing item - what does she expect them to do ? All shops should wash everything she wants to try on or throw out ruined clothes ? Particularly an op shop where they generally only have one of a kind items …you can’t ruin something you haven’t paid for! Just so unreasonable.

PR43

So glad I found this thread. Carly has caused endless damage to spaces occupied by some of Australia's best disability advocates. I'm not a psychologist, but I genuinely believe she has a narcissistic personality disorder. I'm 99% certain she nominated herself for the Order of Australia medal - she's never denied this, and it's one of a multitude of reasons other advocates can't stand her. There are so many people who dedicate their lives to advocacy and support for other PWD, and none of them ask for cookies. These things seem to be Carly's driving motivation - accolades, awards and acknowledgement. She centers herself in everything she does. None of her work is about other people, it's entirely about herself.

I need to be careful what I say here, because I don't want to implicate anyone. But I have it on pretty solid authority that Carly has an extensive network of sock accounts across all the main social media platforms. She uses these accounts to stalk, report and intimidate anyone who challenges or questions her, or even dares to be friends with someone she has targeted. I genuinely believe she's a profoundly unwell individual, and it's deeply troubling she continues to be afforded a platform by the ABC and other major platforms.

I can honestly imagine her decorating her front yard for Halloween just to lure kids to her front door and instead of handing out lollies she lectures them all about how “problematic” their costumes are.

• Haha

PR43

CF.jpg

So a friend just sent me this. Apparently Carly posted it to her FB today. She's so ducking unwell. Imagine publicly shaming people, using your 'friends' and how they've 'wronged' you for clicks and social media content, and then wondering why people might not want to hang out with you?

Her deluge of comments on Gina Martin's Insta post was wild, by the way. She makes these things all about her, lectures people, and then says 'but don't ask me to do more work. You should be aware of all the emotional labor I've done on this. Look it up.' :ROFLMAO: I showed my partner and she said 'Umm... The devil's kind of been around for a little while. He's red because hell is hot. Are we saying hell is ablest now?'

Anyway, can't understand why Carly's friends are ghosting her. It's a mystery!

• Haha
  • Wow
my friend told me she was showing off on her private stories that she cut short her interview with the disability royal commission to attend the darren hayes thing, and she seemed to be proud of it. she even said she told them that that's why she had to cut it short. what an advocate she is, that some meeting with a singer trumps an interview with a royal commission. i can only imagine their response - well obviously you don't take this very seriously, so neither will we. what an insult to people with disabilities that she claims to work tirelessly for. it's one thing to do it, but then to actually be like proud of it or showing off about it is just next level. i can only imagine how insufferable she would have been on the zoom - talking over and one upping everyone else. her obsession with him is fucking bizarre.

• Wow

SilentRunners

She is astonishingly dismissive of any feedback. Case in point, she copped some flack for her her vile commentary on a homeless person in NYC. Her unbelievable arrogance prevented her from deleting the commentary back then, and it’s still published on her website as of today.

In terms of her writing - she tries to conceal her analytical and linguistic limitations through co-opting trending academic buzzwords (emotional labor, lateral violence).

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 15

its_you_not_me

Carly’s behaviour has long been problematic and as someone who dared to publicly disagree with her many moons ago, I felt the sting for a long time.

She’s a bully. There’s many other words I could put around that, and you guys have all done a fabulous job of identifying them - but bully is at the core.

She won’t hesitate to stalk, defame, harass, and take intentional steps to harm those she disagrees with - or perceives to disagree with her - with real world impacts both professionally and personally for those on the receiving end.

The trail of destruction from one group to the next; blogging, fashion, advocacy, writing, is palatable.

For those who’ve known about her for years, it’s nice to see that others have started to take note. Maybe she’ll finally be called out for what she is? Even if it’s just a terrible dresser.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 15