Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Chateau Marmont

So relieved for this thread.

I liked Captain Tom and am very sad he passed but from almost the start I've had very bad vibes from the family, especially Hannah with her marketing platform, and I will never be able to understand or accept that they took a 100 year old man to Barbados during a pandemic. Just because you can doesn't mean you should is something I often find myself thinking these days.

Also, this may sound terrible of me but when it was announced he died I thought I bet this will be used as an excuse for another public clapping spectacle and I was right. #ClapForTom is trending on Twitter. Well, you know what? Just fuck off because I am fucking sick of being expected to clap like I'm a fucking performing seal. I am so so sick of the clapping.

It's really sad a good person has had his last days and death smeared by the greed of his family and a desire to politicise absolutely fucking everything.

In case you can't tell from all the swearing I am just so pissed off at this point. Fuck off with your #ClapFor hashtag.

(God, I needed to get all that off my chest. Nice to be back on Tattle after a break)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 61

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Barbados.
at 100,
during a pandemic.....because it was free.
he gets sick going from a cold country to a hot country and back again, not surprising.
misses his vaccine, gets corona. ends up in hospital.

hope the daughter had a nice holiday.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 60

SequinLover

I am so glad I found this thread.

I've had a bad feeling about the daughter from the start. I've nothing against Tom himself but it does feel as if this whole thing was a well orchestrated situation by his daughter. Many other people, some of whom were also elderly, some disabled children took it upon themselves to raise money and none of them got this kind of accolade or coverage.

It seems like he was embroiled up in a roller coaster of appearances, interviews and publicity campaigns - not really something I think I'd want to be doing at the age of 100.

Whether or not the holiday was how he became ill, putting aside the fact we are in a global pandemic travelling that far at that age would've bought its own health risks. It was highly irresponsible of BA to offer free flights and a bit bloody stupid of him and his family to go.

Mostly what annoys me about this is he raised all that money which was an amazing achievement but the message we've all been given is Stay Home, Save Lives, Protect the NHS. Many of us have done this to protect vulnerable people like him and for them to them jet off when cases are at an all time high and the rest of us were having a Christmas without loved ones just takes the piss. It also takes the piss out of the NHS workers who have worked tirelessly some of whom eventually looked after him in hospital.

He is not a hero. He is a war veteran and I honour what he did during that time the same I do with any other war veteran. He walked around his huge garden of their £2m house, he just got lucky with the media coverage (no doubt fuelled by his daughter) and the need for the public to grasp onto a positive news story during a time where everything was doom and gloom.

I'm sorry he has died but he was 100 and that's a good innings by anyone's standards. I'm especially sorry it was in this way, nobody wants that for their loved ones.

I won't be clapping, changing my profile picture or posting a crappy graphic of him walking through clouds with angel wings. I'll be doing what my family and I have been doing for months - staying at home because I take the restrictions seriously and care about others.

• Heart
Reactions: 59

Libbylulu

VIP Member
Jesus Christ the guy has done an amazing thing and is unfortunately coming to the end of his life yet people still find a way to moan about the situation.
Given what he’s achieved and done how anyone can criticise is beyond me.

People really have nothing better than to criticise other people. Yes it’s shit and we are all there but in this case I think it’s fair enough relaxing the rules for him.
Sorry I disagree. Sadly there are very many dying alone and have done wonderful things in their lives, some quietly without fanfare. I applaud Sir Tom, he’s a WW hero even before the sponsored walk. But if we are to relax the rules for him why disregard other people. I’m not criticizing Sir Tom or his achievements however his family were totally irresponsible to take him away during a Pandemic.

And those saying how marvelous he got to tick something off his bucket list. Please consider that Barbados is a small island with limited healthcare. They have their own elderly to care for and covid issues. Going there wasn’t giving them a thought was it. Though I’m sure the family enjoyed their freebie on the back of grandpa.

• Heart
Reactions: 58

Cupcakemum

VIP Member
just reported on sky news
Now I don't mean this heartlessly at all, hes done a truly wonderful thing for the nhs and I really do hope that he gets better, but his family did decide to take a man who is incredibly high risk on a holiday to Barbados in December.
Yes he deserved some r&r, but who here would take their incredibly elderly grandad on a plane in a pandemic before anyone shoots me down..?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 55

Curlywurly85

All these can be true at the same time:

1 - Wishing Captain Tom a speedy recovery
2 - Saying he shouldn't have gone Barbados for Xmas
3 - Acknowledging that the NHS shouldn't have to rely on a 100 year old to do laps of their garden for funding

Can we stop refer to people who have different opinions as trolls. It waters down actual trolling which is awful.

• Heart
Reactions: 55

ot55

VIP Member
0062353F-40B1-4EFF-A0E7-6DF7CAE360D7.jpeg

I saw this Tweet and it sums up my feelings on the situation.

Everyone is making sacrifices. We’re all being told to stay home and save lives. So many people have died from covid, who won’t get to tick off their bucket list items.

It was an incredibly selfish thing to do.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 51

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member
He did amazing raising all that money for charity but in what world is it OK for a high risk 100 year old man during a pandemic to go abroad and why isn't anyone calling him out on it......

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 51

Yel

Chatty Member
It's uncomfortable they're saying his life was worth so much because he raised so much. Why do people need to attach a monetary value to everything?

Countless people have done similar fundraising things but they didn't attract huge media attention.

People keep saying he did it on his own which doesn't quite stack up as the money was from members of the public who were spurred on by the media.

• Heart
Reactions: 44

shadyessex33

VIP Member
In the summer Captain Tom Moore done an amazing deed for charity and was quiet rightly honoured for it. However he now seems to have his face on everything. The latest example being today’s news that he is the face of a new gin distilled by a family friend.

I can’t help but feel he is being exploited in some way. The daughter has always given me bad vibes, like she is lapping up the attention.

I also find it strange that they employed libel lawyers “Schillings” when he came to prominence. Why do that with nothing to hide?

I may be way off, but the more we hear about all this, the more something doesn’t seem quiet totally for charity.

Is anyone else of this feeling?

• Heart
Reactions: 43

idk2

VIP Member
So the same man (and family!) who were preaching about helping the NHS and saving lives are contributing to the pandemic and the almost full hospitals by going on an international holiday? Now he's back and getting treated for covid, shock horror. They said he had pneumonia several weeks before he was diagnosed aka straight after they returned from their jollies. Hope the "once in a lifetime" holiday was worth it.

Its the hypocrisy for me, honestly. It really pisses me off.

• Heart

Kezza_69

VIP Member
Funniest thing I've read on line about his passing. .

R I P Sir Tom
Taken too soon

He was 100 ffs 🙄

• Haha

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Judging people that judge other people that go on a beach holiday 😆 what age do you have to achieve where you can just do whatever you like regardless of the consequences 🤪

View attachment 413231
god love Denise, I do enjoy the press preview when she’s on, bated silence and audible gasps of fear when she goes to present a work of fiction grown and nurtured in her tiny mind as fact will never NOT be funny 😂

the replies are great though.

EA8DEF90-5BCD-48EC-83D6-93E6D189FC17.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 42

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
Quick reminder that if you’ve become the nation’s sweetheart/a millionaire probably ten times over on royalties and the likes/the most well known man(family) in the United Kingdom on the back of your quest to “save the overstretched NHS”

you then live a life beyond your wildest dreams for 8/10 months,

and you STILL need to ignore government advice (even if it’s not law) and go on a freebie with the familym putting pressure on the NHS because of this decision.

you're a selfish idiot. You might be a cute little selfish idiot. But you’re a selfish idiot.
and I fully believe if he wasn’t a little frail old man from an affluent area he wouldn’t receive as much attention as he did/support he is now.
4 stone heavier with a history of receiving government assistance would he have met the queen or just got a “trophy” from the Sun Newspaper.

• Heart
Reactions: 42

Niknak

A relative of a mine passed away last week. He didn't have his family there to hold his hand - his wife and daughters said goodbye via a video call from the hospital car park as they were not allowed in.

I am furious with the special treatment this guy has received. He is no more important than any other person. He may have inspired people to donate, but it was the generousity of those who donated that raised the money for charity.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 41

HankMcPrank

VIP Member
My Nan who is 81, dare not even go around the corner it’s no more than a 2 minute walk to the butchers because she’s so frightened. She’s worried about COVID, worried about being dobbed in for going out, worried in general about the public and the idea of her going out.

between me and mum she has a Tesco order, milk and more & a local company drop a fruit and veg box. Tesco round here are struggling. If she goes without it is on our head be it! Quite simply!

she will not ask for help, she’s far too independent but deep down, she’s struggling and we know it hence why we try to help her out as much as possible.

compare that to a man, who 12 months ago was just the same as you and me. But within months of recognition for helping the NHS (fair enough) hun and his family somewhat get away with bending the rules.

Bending the rules? Yes, quite simply not staying home. Not staying in the same country or district, oh no, no. Going to a foreign country, risking his health, but overall giving us all the big two fingers.

If I was to consider booking a train from where I live to somewhere else, within a 30 mile radius I would be classed as SELFISH & it would be called UNNECESSARY

do you know what?

LET THIS ALL SINK IN.

Because it’s bloody disgusting.

• Heart
Reactions: 40

Libbylulu

VIP Member
He's 100 ffs. He's going to die anyway. Everyone does. So what if he went on a bucket list trip? I'd have killed to take someone close to me on a bucket trip.

He wasn't raising money for the NHS. He was raising money for NHS charities. Entirely different things.
sorry to disagree but in a pandemic there’s no room for bucket trips. I live overseas and haven’t been able to see my family in over a year. If he so desperately wanted to go to Barbados that much He would have gone before now considering he’s a 100. The long and short of the story is they got it for free so went. I have the utmost respect for Sir Tom but his family were absolutely irresponsible dragging him on two long haul flights, endangering others even if they didn’t care about themselves. They are covid idiots

Reactions: 40