Cancer Influencers #10

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Continuing on from:

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Great to see Lizzie has been accepted on a trial. I hope the treatment works its magic for her. Sad that Lizzie has had to push to find a trial, it should be oncologists matching patients to trials.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Great to see Lizzie has been accepted on a trial. I hope the treatment works its magic for her. Sad that Lizzie has had to push to find a trial, it should be oncologists matching patients to trials.
I dont Know how it works but I think you can ask to be referred to test if you are eligible for trials, but it’s on you. Maybe if you are private ( Bowelbabe) you will get put forward, but it seems on the NHS you need to push for it.

Reactions: 2
I dont Know how it works but I think you can ask to be referred to test if you are eligible for trials, but it’s on you. Maybe if you are private ( Bowelbabe) you will get put forward, but it seems on the NHS you need to push for it.
No, I remember Bowelbabe saying the same. It's up to the patient to look for these.

No, I remember Bowelbabe saying the same. It's up to the patient to look for these.
I thought so, I just know she was private and very friendly with the doctors at the Marsden, there was on e trial she was given rather than sort as she was the first person to try it, it was on the podcast. I guess if you think about how many people are on cancer treatment and how many trials are on going it would be a huge task to search and match people, money the NHS won’t spend.

I don’t think this is an NHS vs private situation. It is really hard to get accepted onto a phase 1 trial (trial investigating drug in early stage of development- usually reserved for patients who have exhausted standard treatment). This is not only because you need to be super fit, but they are also very strict on the cancer types they will take - the cancer may need to have a certain genetic signature. Each trial may only take a handful of patients. They often need multiple visits for blood tests and reviews- far more frequent than standard chemo.

What happens where I work is if they think a patient is fit enough (normal bloods, good functional status) they ask the closest unit first. If they have nothing suitable in their portfolio, they approach units further away.

You have to remember that the chance of this type of treatment working is low and this needs to be balanced against the potential side effects and the impact of the trial schedule on their day to day life. It's not ideal to treat patients who live miles and miles from the unit in case of medical problems.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lizzi's team referred her to one unit, but were told she wouldn't be suitable because of her heart issue. It sounds like she then asked for a referral to the Marsden. Fingers crossed the drug works for her (every wonder drug has to start somewhere) and all the time in the car is worth it. Lizzi we're rooting for you!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I agree trials are very strict and you have to meet the criteria, I’m just saying BB was on very friendly terms with the oncology dept and did get put forward for trials/ new ways of doing stuff. She was obviously there and therefore in the right place. Her overall treatment though was fast my different from the NHS but that was because she was a private patient. 🙂