Burnout

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As discussed on the bex thread. I have suffered from this badly this year, I went from being SO IMPORTANT but its like i just cant

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Hi @Traazers. I am here. I will join a conversation, I have been #burnedout.

I hope your new thread takes off. Let's talk!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Hello

I'm on a burnout recovery journey too.

Pretty sure I have undiagnosed ADHD which leads me to being extremely overwhelmed all the time, but also to taking on immensely challenging roles etc because I thrive on the stress and the difficulty.

So yeh I don't make life easy for myself but I can't seem to manage any other approach.

Came out of a toxic team in November 2022, where I'd been stuck throughout covid with an awful line manager who attempted to destroy my confidence not through malice but through incompetence. Moved on promotion to a fantastic team but on a very emotionally and intellectually demanding role however I can achieve all things with excellent colleagues which i have, however the toll on me has been immense.

Was definitely burnt out from big massive life changes like moving house in 2022, and the general overwhelm I experience from parenting my two young teens and house work life admin etc.

Add in a lot of other stressors and then family serious illness in December just past and I really reached breaking point in terms of sheer exhaustion.

On holiday now but back at work on Monday and hoping to continue my rest and focus on getting myself recovered. Have started little bits of self care and definitely seeing a difference already while on hols. Took another holiday last month and spent it on pure rest and recovery and it helped immensely.

I overthink a lot and make bad choices with food etc, addicted to stressful work situations. Little things push me over the edge but I do bounce back quickly.

Burnout is scary and I can't afford to let it get any worse.
---
Oh yes and just wanted to say my burnout manifested as just psychologically and physically giving up which is so out of character for me as I push on regardless. But then over the last while if something difficult happened, I'd just mentally think I can't do this, and I'm giving up. Also feeling unmotivated, exhausted, irritable, not wanting to do anything or go anywhere.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Hello

I'm on a burnout recovery journey too.

Pretty sure I have undiagnosed ADHD which leads me to being extremely overwhelmed all the time, but also to taking on immensely challenging roles etc because I thrive on the stress and the difficulty.

So yeh I don't make life easy for myself but I can't seem to manage any other approach.

Came out of a toxic team in November 2022, where I'd been stuck throughout covid with an awful line manager who attempted to destroy my confidence not through malice but through incompetence. Moved on promotion to a fantastic team but on a very emotionally and intellectually demanding role however I can achieve all things with excellent colleagues which i have, however the toll on me has been immense.

Was definitely burnt out from big massive life changes like moving house in 2022, and the general overwhelm I experience from parenting my two young teens and house work life admin etc.

Add in a lot of other stressors and then family serious illness in December just past and I really reached breaking point in terms of sheer exhaustion.

On holiday now but back at work on Monday and hoping to continue my rest and focus on getting myself recovered. Have started little bits of self care and definitely seeing a difference already while on hols. Took another holiday last month and spent it on pure rest and recovery and it helped immensely.

I overthink a lot and make bad choices with food etc, addicted to stressful work situations. Little things push me over the edge but I do bounce back quickly.

Burnout is scary and I can't afford to let it get any worse.
---
Oh yes and just wanted to say my burnout manifested as just psychologically and physically giving up which is so out of character for me as I push on regardless. But then over the last while if something difficult happened, I'd just mentally think I can't do this, and I'm giving up. Also feeling unmotivated, exhausted, irritable, not wanting to do anything or go anywhere.
Thank you for sharing! I resonate with a lot of this and particularly the bit in bold but it's not something I've actually conciously realised so super helpful!
I'm actually temping at the moment in a much easier role and less high pressure evironment, it's actually been great to boost my confidence as compared to my last job they think I'm great because I'm used to being constantly pressured to be doing more. But I also recognise that I'll probably get bored with it after a while, or potentially make ways to make it more stressful (getting unnecessarily anxious about it, slacking through the day and having a mad 3pm rush to get everything done, etc.). so I'm at a bit of a crossroads deciding whether I'm better of sticking to this easier, nicer role or going on to another job that has the potential for higher earnings and more glory but is going to be a lot harder and more stressful.

I hope you've enjoyed your hol, it's really nice to take time off and just rest, but I'm abasolutely terrible at it!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thank you for sharing! I resonate with a lot of this and particularly the bit in bold but it's not something I've actually conciously realised so super helpful!
I'm actually temping at the moment in a much easier role and less high pressure evironment, it's actually been great to boost my confidence as compared to my last job they think I'm great because I'm used to being constantly pressured to be doing more. But I also recognise that I'll probably get bored with it after a while, or potentially make ways to make it more stressful (getting unnecessarily anxious about it, slacking through the day and having a mad 3pm rush to get everything done, etc.). so I'm at a bit of a crossroads deciding whether I'm better of sticking to this easier, nicer role or going on to another job that has the potential for higher earnings and more glory but is going to be a lot harder and more stressful.

I hope you've enjoyed your hol, it's really nice to take time off and just rest, but I'm abasolutely terrible at it!
I totally hear you about the work stuff, purposely making things more stressful etc, from what I've read about ADHD it's the way our minds search for / create opportunities for stress and conflict because it makes it easier to maintain focus and interest.

I'm also bad at resting! It seems to be a family trait but I'm now seeing the devastating impact of it on a loved one who never stopped.

I've been balancing resting with indulging my need to do things ... it makes the resting part easier if I can comfort myself with the knowledge that I've done X Y and Z so I won't have the worry that I'll look back and beat myself up for being lazy! Honestly my brain and way of looking at life exhaust me. Constantly overthinking and analysing. Does me no good in some ways, and helps me in others.

Reactions: 1
I totally hear you about the work stuff, purposely making things more stressful etc, from what I've read about ADHD it's the way our minds search for / create opportunities for stress and conflict because it makes it easier to maintain focus and interest.

I'm also bad at resting! It seems to be a family trait but I'm now seeing the devastating impact of it on a loved one who never stopped.

I've been balancing resting with indulging my need to do things ... it makes the resting part easier if I can comfort myself with the knowledge that I've done X Y and Z so I won't have the worry that I'll look back and beat myself up for being lazy! Honestly my brain and way of looking at life exhaust me. Constantly overthinking and analysing. Does me no good in some ways, and helps me in others.
That makes a lot of sense! I did some reading into ADHD when my sister was diagnosed with it a few years ago but I haven't looked at it for ages, maybe I should. I've spent all of my life wondering why I seem to actively sabotage myself so hearing you say you do the same thing is sooo helpful! and makes me feel less mad haha, so thank you!

I had a full mental breakdown because of burnout last year, I'd had to take a few months off work the year before, went back (in Jan) too soon and without dealing with stuff and that then culminated in basically being incapable of doing anything, I was so anxious I was waking up and throwing up every day and just not able to cope with ANYTHING. Work (I'd been there 5 years) were much less understanding and put me on SSP which meant I had to leave my flat and move in with my boyfriend (too soon which we're now dealing with the aftermath of) and then work fucked my pay so I had less than Ā£30 to live on for a month so I resigned, which obviously made things worse because I had to mentally deal with finding a new job rather than having one to go back to, so I started another role in the same industry at a smaller competitor, but the working environment was horrific; I could have carried on and made it work, I did try to, but I knew that it would be way too unhealthy for me longer term so I walked out in Feb. Then I interviewed at a few companies and got an offer that was basically perfect but time delayed, so I've taken this temp job in the meantime (it's a totally different industry but uses similar skills to my actual 'career') but there is an opportunity to do it longer term so I'm a bit mentally stuc on what to do next and what will be best for me. On one hand I hold a lot of my own worth based on work, so the easier less pressure job seems a bit less attractive but could be better for me longer term. But has a lot less opportunity to earn big.

I do find there's certain things I can choose to hyperfocus on, like when I get into going to the gym regularly, counting macros, working on progressive overload etc that almost feeds that part of my brain that needs to be thinking about something all the time but means I can loosen up on other areas of life and is quite positive in that way. I'm gonna try and get back into it in the next couple of weeks to see if it helps me from getting bored/disinterested with work

Reactions: 2
ooh, thanks for this traazy! I often think I'm over sharing on f+d so yay for this thread šŸ«¶

I think most people who'll read here know my story. sent home from work Feb 2023 for falling asleep constantly, six months signed off sick with depression/anxiety, incredibly lucky to get help from iapt. wfh since august 2023, but forced back to the office one day a week since feb 24, simply because "the trust no longer supports full time wfh"

I am still utterly exhausted. i am up to date with all my work, it costs me approx Ā£7 when I have to go in cos I uber cos I still can't do public transport. and then, instead of being able to have a cup of tea (or even a nap!!! god forbid!!!) whenever I want, I have to listen to my boring colleagues rattle on about duck all! (I'm terribly sorry about your 90 something uncle. no tit you have grandchildren now. idc about your dogs. oh, your 20 something kids are fighting, big wow)

I've even learned to take the laptop I was given for wfh into my physical workplace cos my desktop doesn't work half the time! It's madness!!

wtf is so important about being present in a building 3 miles away from where I can do the same work but be a lot more comfortable? (In my jim jams, when I can nap without fear of reprisals?!) I'm not patient-facing, I don't have to be there! I've served my time doing that tit

• Heart
Hi! I, too, have shared on f+d, probably tooooo often!

I have a sad knowledge about burnout, in whichever form it takes. It's the gradual understanding that "wherever you go, there you are".

Having rejigged my "big" career for fun and hard working jobs, I find myself just as passionate and worrying too much and trying to do everything to over perfection and then get frustrated that other people "don't care".

Those other people do actually care, they're just not over invested.

And so I see that I am my own burnout problem. It'd be funny, except that I can't stop.

• Heart
I'm on a week annual leave and already dreading Monday. I am a big cause of my own burnout because I obsessively check my emails, teams etc in case I miss something and so my brain doesn't switch off from work. My partner doesn't earn enough to pay the mortgage so I feel stuck going to work. I could have 10 weeks off paid but feel if I lose the structure of work I'll either fall apart or not be able to face going back ever again. Plus there always seems to be something else to stay in work for. Currently it's supporting a colleague through a disciplinary.

I'm looking for another job because I'm being blocked from progress where I currently am but either not being offered enough money to switch or being rejected, which is great with RSD (rejection sensitivity).

At the stage where I have constant work dreams and I know that's a danger signal for me having a melt down.

I just want a job where hard work and knowledge translate into success rather than nepotism and arrogance :(

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Sorry to hear others are in this situation. I had major burnout caused by toxic management in work and work load and pressures from work in general. First time in my life I have suffered severe depression and anxiety and Iā€™ve had to go on antidepressants. It got to the Christmas holidays and it got so bad I knew I couldnā€™t return so Iā€™ve been on long term sick since. Also receiving CBT. Starting to improve now and looking for a new job which is giving me a more positive outlook.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Hope everyone on the thread is managing OK.

I had had some really good rest, and started taking some supplements which were supposed to help with brain fog which I've been suffering terribly from over the last few years. Magnesium and lions mane if anyone is interested. Also taking vitamin d once a week.

So the supplements really helped, but in a way they helped too much and put me into a state which I've read some people calling God mode. Almost like a kind of superhuman almost mania but not quite that extreme, but I was on fire at work, i was all over the housework, I was meeting up with people, exercising, being a great parent, and anyway, long story short I seem to have massively overdone and burnt myself out again to the point of being panicked and anxious at work, and bone crushingly exhausted in the evenings. I'm just about to fall asleep here. Hoping if I can manage to get some decent rest that will help my symptoms.

Reactions: 1