Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

dancingqueen5678

Chatty Member
As others have said, a budget spreadsheet has done wonders for my finances.
In 2020, I had hardly and savings. I have been working since 18 years old (now in my 30's), so it was so embarrassing that I hadn't saved much over all those years! But started a new job in 2020 and saved LIKE CRAZY and have a good amount of savings now. I have turned my finances around and in a good place now. SPREADHSEETS are the best.

Another tip: put money aside as soon as you get paid, BEFORE you spend on other things (obviously get the bills out of the way first). But before I used to (stupidly) spend first, then save the rest. Never do that, you must save first then spend the rest. I got it the right way round now 🤣🥰

Third tip: don't go out much. Lmao, literally. Stay home and save the money (boring, I know). Or if you go out, do free things/ cheap activities.

Remember women, we must be financially stable! It's especially important for women. So that we can support ourselves if anything happens to us.
Branching off tip 3 slightly: Always keep food you can chuck in the oven in the freezer. Just nuggets and chips/pizza/microwave curry or something like that. Whatever it is that you like to have for takeaways. I find it much easier to avoid ordering food/drive thru when I know I've got that kind of food in the freezer

• Heart
Reactions: 12

ChilliBean

VIP Member
I’m so grateful I saved £30 a month this year for Christmas - every payday I would put £30 away in a monzo pot treating it like a bill to be paid each month and i've now got £300 to spend on xmas presents rather than using all of my December pay to buy them and starting the new year skint! definitely doing it again next year

Also just cashed out £10 on the shoppix app as all the points from my christmas shopping receipts have boostes my points ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Kim Mild

VIP Member
We've spent less on our takeaway by changing to veg curry instead of chicken or lamb, and ordering chapati instead of naan . This is due to having a vegan in thr household now. It knocked about £7 off the total we used to spend.

Obviously we'd save even more by not getting a takeaway at all , but we've got to buy some food to eat , and we are willing to pay for an occasional treat.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
Im looking into opening an s&s LISA to save a little nest egg for when I’m 60. Only thing is I was just reading up and apparently you can be forced to cash in early if you go bankrupt or lose your job but have too much in savings for benefits. This stuff won’t affect me now but who knows what the future holds, I’m just wondering if they’re still a decent option for saving? Seems a little unfair to have to pay to use the money early if you fall on hard times. I guess this is where a pension beats the LISA.

I wouldn’t be against using it for a house deposit, but it seems unlikely i’d be able to save anything close to the amount id need anytime soon so I’m thinking longer term.
I have a LISA too and apart from topping it up with the max amount for the first year. I now only put in £2 a week into it. I'm not really in a place to be buying my first home either. You can make a withdrawal but you lose the bonus of around 25% For benefits you're allowed up to 16k in savings, but anything over £6k is supposed to result in a reduction in the amount you get paid.

I don't like that money being locked up for that long either.

-I only became serious about saving money at the age of 26. I was stupid with money and spent a lot on presents for friends, but It coincided with a period when my depression was at it's worst and I needed that time to grow up.

-I stopped buying clothing- I haven't bought any new items of clothing for myself in one year and it was two items in the year before that. I really did have too much.

-I haven't bought myself new make up for almost three years. At one point I had 26 red lipsticks.

-I stopped buying books and only use the library now and still get through 3 books a week. (I use Manchester central library).

-I share my father's Netflix account.

-I use Topcashback if I do buy anything.

-Starbucks will give you a discount if you use one of their reusable cups and you can also add multiple cards to the same account and collect points together and use the gold benefits, but only do this with people you actually trust.

-I do YouGov surveys and earned my first £50 after around 8 months.

-I signed up with Scottish friendly for a 10 year saving plan when I was 18- mainly for the £40 giftcard they were giving and paid £25 into that every month. When it matured they gave me an extra £400 on top which I was happy with as I didn't even notice the money going out and know I 100% would have wasted it otherwise.

-Last year I also started investing in stocks and shares after just watching youtube videos about investing- I got around £43 in dividends. Including last month in I earned £3.06 (I love the humble penny and Nicole at the frugal cottage channel on youtube). I wish I started sooner though!

-I placed an online shop for my sister, with Iceland who offer free delivery with a £40 order in her area and they give you £1 off for every £20 you top up your bonus account card by.

-I send flowers using Bloom&wild and rarely pay full price anymore as they will always send you a 10-20% off code.

Last edited:
  • Heart

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
When shopping, most labels with have price per unit or KG/100g. I always use this to compare prices as the big deals aren't always the best value.

I always search for a discount code or cashback. Also use the apps, Shopmium, Greenjinn & checkoursmrt. These were a lot better pre pandemic but they pick up before Christmas.

I also buy presents throughout the year when I see things and they are on offer and keep them, spreads the costs and makes the most of discounts.

coconochanel

VIP Member
Great thread (y)

- I do my main shop at Aldi and buy branded bits like Ketchup from B&M.

- I also found out the time one of the big supermarkets reduces their meat so I get it, freeze it and just defrost it as I need it. that save a lot of money.

- buy books from charity shops or car boot sales.

-cut down on takeaways to maybe one a month (pay day treat)

xbxbx

Chatty Member
I’m another person that is glad they found this thread! I used to be really good at saving but being furloughed then made redundant made me blow through my savings. It wasn’t even because I was struggling, I just turned to emotional spending and having deliveries every week cheered me up being in lockdown lol.

I’m not in a massive amount of debt thankfully, just paying off a loan I used to help renovate my flat that I bought at the end of 2019. I would like to pay it off sooner but my main priority is to build up my savings again.

Don’t really have any tips to add because it’s still early days for me but I have seen a few people mention energy prices. I am ‘pay as you go’ and have been ever since I bought my flat. I live alone, my flat is a pretty decent size and I only spend around £25-£30 a month in winter and way less in summer. I’m out all day at work so there’s not really any gas or electric being used then, but when I’m home I have the heating on pretty often and am terrible for leaving lights and tv on etc so I could definitely spend even less if I tried. Not sure how easy it is to switch to PAYG for gas and electric but I definitely recommend it if you can.

• Heart

Magee

VIP Member
I got paid and have £70 to last until 18th Feb which I think is achievable. Lots of walking and packed lunches I think!

• Wow

Nipslips

Chatty Member
I’m paid weekly. So what I do is live week to week. And after all bills are paid I live my life as normal. Then before I go to bed on weds night I love what ever is in my a/c into savings. Some times it’s only €20. Then start again Thursday morning! It works for me

• Heart

Sheabutter

VIP Member
Has anyone else noticed that when you Google promo codes a lot of times they don’t work? If you visit a new website, add things to your cart and give your e-mail info but don’t finish the checkout process, many times they will send you a coveted promo code within 24 hours to incentivize you finishing your purchase.

I did it intentionally yesterday and got a 15% promo code. It was one of the ones advertised on Retailmenot that originally didn’t work for me. I’m trying to do it again today because while a 30 day free subscription is nice, a 90 day one would be even nicer.

grumpy_curry

Guys, I would be so grateful for some starting tips, now on mat leave about to have our first newborn but so stressed about money as I’m already having pay deducted. Going to apply for UC later but as we both work doubt we’ll receive any help, really need to start budgeting and saving as I don’t want to spend the first few months of baby’s life worrying about money 🙁
Ok deep breath.

Step1: Take the uncertainty out of it.

Go through your bank statements and bills and get an idea of where your money goes.

Categories I would suggest are:
- monthly expenses
- quarterly expenses
- yearly expenses

Now label them:
- rent/mortage and all bills concerning the home (gas, leccy, insurance, ...)
- groceries & personal care
- clothing and gifts
- entertainment
- transport
- everything else

Extend as needed but don't get bogged down with being super exact. It's more important to get an accurate view of what you spend than have perfect categories. This should include all debt payments such as mortgages, car payments, credit cards. Don't forget those one off expenses such as MOTs, new tyres, services for boilers, etc. Doesn't need to be exact, guesses are fine. Those go into the yearly total expenses.

For the quarterly and yearly expenses divide by 4 or 12 and add that to the monthly total expenses.

Now you should have a good overview of your monthly cost.

Next, get your income down on paper. How much do both of you earn? If you don't know how much your maternity pay is going to be, get that info as soon as possible.

Third, savings. Do you have any? Give it a purpose. Emergency savings should come first. If you have 3 to 6 months expenses saved, then you can look at other savings goals like house down payment, etc. Or even a new bag or a holiday, whatever you fancy!

Then you can balance your totals and see if you come out in the black or red.

If you have money left over, congrats, that's awesome. Stick that in a savings account and enjoy 😊

If you are in the red or you're cutting it too close for comfort, start looking at your bills and figure out if there is room for reductions.

Food bills are a good way to save. Shop at Aldis or Lidl. Use a shopping list and only buy that. Avoid prepacked meals and snacks.

If you can and are comfortable with it, breastfeeding can save you money. But don't feel you have too, if bottles are the way for you, then that is a non negotiable expense. Same goes for diapers - cloth diapers can help with expenses and when done, can be resold on ebay for good money. But it is also a lot of work and something you shouldn't feel like you have to do just because of money! Being a mum is hard enough as it is.

Second hand for baby is fine for a lot of stuff except car seats. It isn't recommended to use them second hand. They also have a best by date.

TV and Internet - call them up and say you're thinking of cancelling. They will most likely offer you a rebate. How often do you use the Streaming services you pay for? Can you cut one of those?

Heating and electricity: heavy curtains will help keep the warmth in. Make it a habit to turn off the lights. Unplug electric devices you aren't using as they can still leech money. Turn down the thermostat if possible. 1 degree cooler can lead to savings of up to 5% on energy cost. A cooler bedroom also leads to better sleep, but please talk to your pediatrician on the best temperature for baby to be healthy.

For the future, you could try the money Jars system by Gail Vaz-Oxlade.

Sorry for the massive info dump, wishing you all the best love! You can do this!

• Heart

ChilliBean

VIP Member
My financial goals next year include

1) save another 10k, to reach £20k savings in total. I managed to save £10k and fully furnish a new flat in 2021 so think how much I could save in 2022 if I have a frugal year!
2) finish paying off my student loan (only £900 to go)
3) begin to make overpayments on my mortgage
4) not to buy any new clothes (I spent far too much on ASOS last year
5) to reach having at least £2k invested in a S&S ISA by the end of the year

I already have a monthly budget on a spreadsheet that I update religiously
I try to work at least one overtime shift a week at my job to boost up my pay
I am saving to buy a house with my partner in 2024 so want to save at least £10k a year until then

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Gemz27

I started a plum account in March time after a friend mentioned it. I simply do the round ups, I know lots of bank accounts have this option but mine doesn't. I don't even notice it coming out weekly but when we went away in the summer I had £360 stored on there which we used for spending money. I started it back up recently and will used it in December to put towards Xmas food shop.

i tried the 52 week envelope challenge but money was tight and I had to do a week on then a week off, but it still all adds up. You just get 52 envelopes, write 1 to 52 on them, pick one weekly then seal that amount inside.

Also I store up all my kids old clothes, shoes etc, then every few month I sell them on ebay. Sometimes things sell for like £2 which can be annoying but I listed 10 items recently and made about £30 for very little effort of stuff I was originally going to throw away. Pick your sale time well, I store summer clothes until spring as find they sell easier then. Listing all the kids old winter coats this week as the weather starts to turn.

• Heart

Slothgang

Chatty Member
Some amazing baby advice! Just to piggy back on with a cheeky one - don't take the labels off of any gifts you receive until you know your going to use it. You will receive loads of clothes for a firstborn! You won't get enough time for the baby to wear all the outfits as they grow so fast and clothes with tags still on sell for more money on ebay 😅 x

Lulu Goss

VIP Member
So glad I found this thread. I’m on maternity leave and due to drop down to SMP from March. It sounds stupid but it’s only really hit me this weekend how little I’ll be getting each month compared to what I’m used to, plus I’m the higher earner so although my partner will cover what he can, it is going to be a struggle.

To start off I’ve started selling things I don’t use - I’ve got clothes with tags on still that should have gone back at the time, or things that have been barely worn/used. So I’ve started to put those on marketplace and have made a couple of sales already.

I’m also going to call sky about our bill. It’s crept up to over £100 over the last year so I’m calling with the intention of cancelling completely but hoping they might offer me a much better deal.

We spend quite a lot on food shopping too so I’m starting to look for cheaper meal recipes/things I can cook then have leftovers for lunch the next day.

I’ve spent the weekend feeling overwhelmed and to be honest, really anxious and stressed about money. But i’m determined to make some changes to try and ease the pressure.

• Heart

justbeingnosy98

I third the use of a spreadsheet! Makes it so much easier to see where your money is going and what you actually have available to spend. I’m not good at saving so being able to see what I could have after saving £x each month really helps!

Before I buy ANYTHING online I do a Google for discount codes 😂

Tesco clubcard/Boots advantage cards are handy if you shop there. Even better download the app.

I don’t buy a lot of branded food/household items. Tesco’s beans are just as good as Heinz and Domestos is a rip off. I also stand in the aisles in Tesco’s for ages with my calculator out trying to find the best price and buy in bulk often to make use of deals.

Do a weekly meal plan and try not to just pop to the shops every other day.

I buy a lot of clothes from Vinted, eBay and Depop. Saves pennies and good for the planet! Loads on there still with tags on! Also FB marketplace and Gumtree for furniture etc.

PenelopePitstop

VIP Member
Guys, I would be so grateful for some starting tips, now on mat leave about to have our first newborn but so stressed about money as I’m already having pay deducted. Going to apply for UC later but as we both work doubt we’ll receive any help, really need to start budgeting and saving as I don’t want to spend the first few months of baby’s life worrying about money 🙁
Keep tags on all clothing gifts and only take them off if you are going to use them, you can sell any unworn ones on eBay later and get more money for BNWT as opposed to without the tag 🏷

Lac1985

I agree with this. I never thought of having a cleaner but recently it's something I have looked into and will most likely get in the new year. I've got 2 young kids and back to work full time soon, I always spend at least an hour a day cleaning and it never feels tidy so I try to do more and just knacker myself out. I feel like taking that pressure off by getting someone to do it will help me massively!
Do it!! You won’t look back and it really is worth it.

I have a small house, and don’t earn a huge wage, but we had a cleaner every fortnight before lockdown - for just under a year I think. Getting home from work on the day she had been was the best part of the week 😂
We justified the cost by saying we didn’t go out as much now we have a baby, and we would sacrifice a few takeaways (we have a lot) to pay for it.

The only problem was….the kitchen was so clean and spotless that we didn’t want to mess it up so always ended up getting a takeaway on the day she had been 😂

We had to cut back over lockdown due to me being on furlough so we couldn’t carry on with her. Now, my partner and I have recently split up and there is absolutely no way I’m spending my free time after working full time and being a single parent cleaning the house! I’m so slow and I hate it, so I’m getting her back in the new year as a treat to myself.

• Heart
We could cut back on how much meat we use, even shopping at Lidl it soon adds up. We do 1 meat free meal a week, so ill up that to 2 or 3. Issue is my partner is the opposite of fussy, he will eat anything...and everything. Theres never left overs and i have to buy extra as he eats 2 portions in one sitting. (He isnt overweight btw, he burns about 8k calories a day at work and needs feeding lol)
One thing I’ve learnt about meat and other forms of protein recently is that the size of portion we actually need is often far less than what a recipe calls for or we are conditioned to expect/want. If you adjust this and bulk out the meal with extra carbs and veggies you may be able to make your chosen protein go further. Also switching to whole grains as these make you fuller more quickly so you eat less.

Lucyxxxx

VIP Member
I raved about vinted about a month ago but since then been hit with attempted scams. One woman became really nasty and abusive and was sending paragraphs of abuse - which vinted said didn't go against policy (I couldn't block them as there was an ongoing purchase dispute), vinted promised me if the buyer didn't post the disputed item within 72 hours I would recieve payment - they then didn't pay me. Trading standards have of course been contacted. I have made a fair bit of money on there and most people I've dealt with have been great but having to spend days arguing the toss over £4/5 is too much and I will spend days arguing over it through principle, is too much. Especially risky if selling bundles as all the buyer has to do is recieve the items, remove one thing from it and tell Vinted it's arrived incomplete and Vinted will refund them and leave you with no item or money.

• Wow
  • Sad