Booktubers

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yeah in her older videos she just sounds posh but is speaking clearly. Now she slurs all her words together in this weird hybrid Anglo-American accent. I actually just watched a couple of her recent videos as I haven't watched her in at least a year. Her voice has gotten so much deeper as well it just adds to the bizarreness 😂 But actually in a recent q&a (where she addresses the idea that her accent is fake) she still sounds posh but a lot more natural. Maybe it's just scripted videos where the pseudo-intellectual Boris Johnson accent goes into overdrive.
I had to stop watching her because of her accent. It wasn't so bad before, why did she go so forced??

Reactions: 1
Same, I ended up doing that with Ariel Bissett as well. Dunno if her content is better lately, but I can only sit through so many ill-thought out discussion videos about nothing in particular.
Also I find her voice very nasally. seems petty of me but TBh if you listen and watch people a lot it's an important factor.. I had to give up watching Noelle Gallagher after the forced cheeriness and laughter and very bad jokes,,, I am sure she's a nice girl if only she didnt feel the need to put on an act..

I tell you who does strike a good balance between quirky and realism - Allyvee.. been really enjoying her content lately. She is quirky and funny but also realistic about how she can have her down moments also but not in any moany way..

I know it's not booktube, but Cinzia Has NOTHING on Jessica Kellgren-Fozard 😂 That's the ultimate fake accent. It reminds me of "watch with mother" (showing my age there lol)

Though got to disagree with the accusation either of them are fake (both of them have had other people in their videos - I can't imagine other people would be ok if their friend or partner (in the case of Jessica) put on an entirely different accent).

I've gone back and watched their old videos just now out of curiosity and, as a working-class girl, Cinzia never sounded CLOSE to working-class 😂 If you think that's working class, you're extremely middle-class it's painful
Kellgren- Fozard's other person from what I can tell seems to be her partner.. and I doubt anyone would film content with people who would call them out on their fake accents. I can think of someone who would have their partner in a video calling them on bs.. Leena Norms.. but then she doesn't come across as fake in any way shape or form..

The working-class comment was in response to @LydiaDeetzHat comment of her sounding working class - there's no way in hell she sounded working class! 😂 )
TBH i think that I'd gained the impression somewhere that Cinzia was working class Midlands.. but I could be wrong

Reactions: 2
Oh NOOOOOOOO Renee at So I read This book has done an ad/sponsored video.. for Ana Luisa Jewellery of all things .
gettyimages-141339351-1024x1024.jpg

I've ordered from Ana Luisa before some of their earrings are a little overpriced for the size. It seems like if you have at least 1k following they'll send some free jewelry your way.

0s.
Business must be bad.. they're now down to people with 782 subscribers

• Haha
I agree, I think this is why hers never came across as fake to me, I did assume that her hearing might impact how she speaks. Cinzia doesn't have that excuse so hers does come across as intentionally put on.
Actually, I am pretty sure I remember Cinzia saying she is half deaf. But is that really a thing? I don't know anyone with hearing impediments so I'm not sure how that affects how they speak.

Edit: Sorry, I just went way off topic! Feel free to ignore me 😂 I just got fascinated reading this. I didn't know that could be a thing with potential deafness - I'll have to watch Jessica to find out more.

I've just finished watching Jean from Jeansbookishthoughts, her September Second-hand video and I find it very weird that she did this video. Yes, it's applaudable that she now only buys second-hand clothes but it's a bit rich to keep going on about it when she hauls an insane amount of books every single month. Yes, some may be second hand but that doesn't excuse the extreme consumerist she is. I adore books as much as the next person but christ. I often wonder how she gets through any of them and then I see she's uploaded yet another haul vid, it's a constant cycle.
Unfortunately, I think so much of this is performative. I completely agree with you about how obscene it is for people to be accumulating books that they never read and getting these gifted to them. If she had any sense she could donate a lot of these to the various charities that appeal for books around Christmas time (for hospitals, hospices, and families who cannot afford to gift).

Reactions: 4
So interesting what you mention about accents. Not being a native English speaker I feel like I'm a lot more sensitive to certain accents, just because it's harder for me to understand. And there was something about GK reads voice that always bothered me a little, but it might have been the accent. Interesting 😂

Also, what a boring month content wise. I get that is time for the end of the year content, which I enjoy for the most part. But all these people trying to just upload to get more money for the ads...I barely watch any of those videos. There is no substance to them and it's so clear.

Also, what a boring month content wise. I get that is time for the end of the year content, which I enjoy for the most part. But all these people trying to just upload to get more money for the ads...I barely watch any of those videos. There is no substance to them and it's so clear.
It has been completely naff, at least with the booktubers I watch. I had a bit of a subscription clear out the other day and a few bit the dust.

I was sorry to see that Lauren and the Books wasn't very well and had stopped vlogmas early. I like her videos because at least she has a personality...

Reactions: 5
Erm who wants to see the vlog of Jack Edwards trying to get back to Paris after coming back to the UK for Christmas??Given that they are currently not allowing entrance from the UK and many people I know have been unable to see their France dwelling family for Xmas. I note he has done a halfprice Waterstones hardback sale that has only been on for the last 2 or 3 days

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Erm who wants to see the vlog of Jack Edwards trying to get back to Paris after coming back to the UK for Christmas??Given that they are currently not allowing entrance from the UK and many people I know have been unable to see their France dwelling family for Xmas. I note he has done a halfprice Waterstones hardback sale that has only been on for the last 2 or 3 days
There's something about Jack that annoys me. It's like he only moves places for the ~aesthetic~ considering he was living in Camden before this.

He's hardly the first person to move places just because they're trendy, especially on YouTube but it comes across as so inauthentic.

• Heart
Was that Simon Savidge I heard plugging his wishlist continually in his latest video? That man has more books in one room of his home than in my 5 floor local library... seriously..

Was that Simon Savidge I heard plugging his wishlist continually in his latest video? That man has more books in one room of his home than in my 5 floor local library... seriously..
UGH. I’ve noticed he links it in every description now too. Gives me the ick.

Do not understand the people that buy booktubers books off their wish lists at all. What a waste of money. Just to get a little moment of validation when they say their name. Just watching Jade’s Christmas unboxing and someone called Cece has bought so many things. It’s ridiculous.

Reactions: 10
Do not understand the people that buy booktubers books off their wish lists at all. What a waste of money. Just to get a little moment of validation when they say their name. Just watching Jade’s Christmas unboxing and someone called Cece has bought so many things. It’s ridiculous.
I get that people might want a booktuber they like to read their favourite book, but surely they see how many books these people have and that's not how it works. They get books from people and then they linger on their shelves for possibly years before they're read (if they're ever read at all). Buying a booktuber a book doesn't mean they'll actually read it.

Reactions: 10
The whole wishlist thing displeases me greatly because it is blatant manipulation.
i still get my stomach turned by a relatively lowish level Bookstagrammer (you may have seen my posts about her previously on Tattle) still out there begging for books on IG posts from publishers when I know she not only doesn't read them but also doesn't post about most of them.. still noting the massive stack she was gifted from one UK publisher in my presence that she has yet to post on IG about or read (according to her own infographic wrap up stories)

You can't begin to comprehend my distaste for people on YT with jobs and more money than I will ever see having wishlists..

I also truly hate with wish lists. They always make it seem like they do it for the viewers and that is a blatant lie. I think if they didn’t try to justify it they would seem less awful to me.

Also on the topic of Cinzia, did anyone watch her “No buy year 4” video. Her microwave is unsafe to be used. Yes she is weighing up buying a new one and if that the right thing to do despite explaining she uses it a lot.
Look I’m all of making sure your purchases are smart but dear lord buy the microwave before you damage yourself.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.