Booktubers

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
and the ones who have Patreon accounts who have many many paid gigs and other forms of income.. I'm looking at you Jen Campbell and Simon Savidge . Please don't be asking us to pay your bills when you are way better off than most people. I do support an artist on Patreon who does do YT but until recently she lived with her parents who had a VERY low level of income and uses her art to assist them and support herself through daily life including a serious bout of family Covid. You know to actually put food on the table and pay rent etc..
I dunno, can’t speak for Simon but I think Jen does quite a lot in return for Patreon tiers to make it worth it for people who want to support.
Never can forget the time I subbed to Lauren’s Patreon, it was the lower tier and she hadn’t posted anything (like, the promised perks) to that tier in months and months. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3
I dunno, can’t speak for Simon but I think Jen does quite a lot in return for Patreon tiers to make it worth it for people who want to support.
Never can forget the time I subbed to Lauren’s Patreon, it was the lower tier and she hadn’t posted anything (like, the promised perks) to that tier in months and months. :rolleyes:
Oh I'm not saying she doesn't , just that she has so many other sources of income and an employed partner (as does Simon for that matter) I really don't think they are needing us to put our hands in our pockets to pay for their groceries etc..

IDK maybe I am touchy about this sort of that because admittedly I have been totally without income since Nov 2019

Has anyone ever met a booktuber in real life? I saw Jen at one of her gigs once and I was so upset by it. I was such a fan but I was so disappointed I actually unsubbed from her. It was years ago, mind you, but it put me off ever wanting to meet any YouTubers in the future. It ruins the illusion
I met Jen when she did an event at my local library for her short story collection. She was actually ok.. we have the same name so we kinda has a few comments about that. Sorry you had a bad experience. I can see your POV.. sounds like you had an awful time... I'm curious.. can you share anymore?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
While we're on Jen, this review about her short story collection always made me uncomfortable about her:
1636666566356.png

In general I'm quite wary of booktubers reviewing other booktuber's books. I haven't read this one, but I did read some others that were recommended and they proved to be utter dross.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
I met Jen when she did an event at my local library for her short story collection. She was actually ok.. we have the same name so we kinda has a few comments about that. Sorry you had a bad experience. I can see your POV.. sounds like you had an awful time... I'm curious.. can you share anymore?
Yeah, of course. I should stress, it wasn't how she treated me that upset me, but how she treated another author. Jen was interviewing another author at an event, and I was excited because squee, I got to see Jen Campbell. The author was a woman of colour and Jen was supposed to be interviewing her. Note how I said supposed to.

For every question Jen asked, Jen answered: and more times than not, she answered BEFORE the author gave an answer. What's worse, Jen self-promoted a shameless amount, to the extent that she would recite the URLS to her own YouTube channel and website blog posts during the interview by answering a question that she asked the other author.

So, for example, Jen would ask "What books inspired you for your work?"
The author would bite her lip and reply "Ohh, let me think."
Jen would then JUMP IN and say "Well, whilst she's thinking, the books that inspired me as X, Y, Z, In fact, I listed the books that inspired me on the back page of my book, X which you can buy from my website www.herwebsitename. com. Or, you can visit my youtube channel, www.youtubeurl. com and search for the video "video title here" and you'll get my recommendations."
The author, dazzled, would then answer the question.

And when I say she did this for every question, I mean, she did this for EVERY question. She recited her URLs continuously in full, for answers to questions she was asking the other author. She disrespected this author of colour SO much and I found it just so insulting that I felt hurt. I just saw through all her charades about supporting other women and supporting people of colour. She propped herself up during an event that was supposed to highlight and showcase not just another person, another woman and a woman of colour. It disgusted and hurt me to watch. All her allyship was just self-promotion.

• Wow
Reactions: 21
I hate how all the british booktubers gush about Jen's books and say they give them 5 stars. Because of course dozens of people with different reading tastes are all going to love and have the same bland opinion, with no critique whatsoever, about the work of someone they just so happen to be friends with 🙄

Reactions: 9
Thanks for sharing, HilaQueen. Very interesting, and doesn't surprise me at all. She has a habit of turning things around to her, or making people feel sorry for her, or biting people's heads off for no reason, as she did with me.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I'm sorry that happened to you, SoulDestroyer.

I really loved her content before that, but I just couldn't look at her the same after that. I'm sure she's a nice person and a good person, but her arrogance is really tainting her.

Also, Sprezza, I also have a feeling other booktubers only give her good reviews because she has so much power and influence in the community. I saw a couple of booktubers had given her last short story collection no rating which I wonder was their way of not getting her attention (like that poor Kirsty reviewer)? It's sad that people seem to be scared of her.

Reactions: 6
Yeah, of course. I should stress, it wasn't how she treated me that upset me, but how she treated another author. Jen was interviewing another author at an event, and I was excited because squee, I got to see Jen Campbell. The author was a woman of colour and Jen was supposed to be interviewing her. Note how I said supposed to.

For every question Jen asked, Jen answered: and more times than not, she answered BEFORE the author gave an answer. What's worse, Jen self-promoted a shameless amount, to the extent that she would recite the URLS to her own YouTube channel and website blog posts during the interview by answering a question that she asked the other author.

And when I say she did this for every question, I mean, she did this for EVERY question. She recited her URLs continuously in full, for answers to questions she was asking the other author. She disrespected this author of colour SO much and I found it just so insulting that I felt hurt. I just saw through all her charades about supporting other women and supporting people of colour. She propped herself up during an event that was supposed to highlight and showcase not just another person, another woman and a woman of colour. It disgusted and hurt me to watch. All her allyship was just self-promotion.
;
WOW contrast that with an event I saw at my local library hosted by Raymond Antrobus interviewing Caleb Azuma Nelson. The two writers are great and close friends and the whole time they were just bigging up each other in a genuine and natural way ! To the extent they were slightly embarrassed.it was hands down the best author event I have EVER attended.I have so much more time for both these gentlemen since.

Simon has 34 books in his latest haul. It seems so wasteful to me, especially when we won't hear about half of them again. He seems to have a lot of ideas that never come to anything. Whatever happened to his Autumn readathon and Armistead Maupin readalong?

Simon has 34 books in his latest haul. It seems so wasteful to me, especially when we won't hear about half of them again. He seems to have a lot of ideas that never come to anything. Whatever happened to his Autumn readathon and Armistead Maupin readalong?
It's not just him though..unknown bloggers also do it. Met 1 at a publisher event where she took home a huge stackof proofs etc ( I didn't feel right taking more than 1 tho there were a few i fancied, also I had to ask if I could take 1), then followed her on IG. She then posted a stack of 23 books she got through the mail.. most of which she probably won't read. It's been a couple of months now and she hast posted about a single ARC she took at the publisher event. Meanwhile I am stuck here practically begging for even E ARCS as I try to start a Booksta which nobody will follow.

Also I never understand why publishers send people physical ARCS and then a finished copy? They have had a free book off you once already.. if they want a copy make them pay. You are a business not a charity.

Tell Armistead at least I did the readalong lol... I think he has a real issue with taking on more than he can handle re workloads. I really don't know why his jobs send him around the UK as most of the library events will probably entail the libraries doing a lot of the actual workload around them. Also have you taken a look at what Arts bodies will throw money at? My library barely has any books now . Slough (not my local but one i'm a member of) is one of the ones listed in his new project and they just sent me a survey cleared aimed at them trying to cut costs of their libraries but then they are involved with these daft ideas like Story Trails and its augmented reality experiences..

UGH I KNOW he won't read some of those.. I'd kill to get my hands on a copy of Pure Colour.. so many of my friends in the US loved it.. I can guarantee it's not up his alley.. Can highly recommend Brown Girls - just read that and it's very poetic..Also have Memphis on my tbr..

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Has anyone ever met a booktuber in real life? I saw Jen at one of her gigs once and I was so upset by it. I was such a fan but I was so disappointed I actually unsubbed from her. It was years ago, mind you, but it put me off ever wanting to meet any YouTubers in the future. It ruins the illusion
I stood next to Leena Norms at the midnight release of The Testaments in London. She does lots of book content and work(ed?) in publishing but I don't know how much she counts as a Booktuber.

She was there with her job though and I was too scared to talk to her!

Not surprised to hear that about Jen...

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I stood next to Leena Norms at the midnight release of The Testaments in London. She does lots of book content and work(ed?) in publishing but I don't know how much she counts as a Booktuber.

She was there with her job though and I was too scared to talk to her!

Not surprised to hear that about Jen...
Yeah I think of Leena as booktuber-adjacent. Did she seem nice?

Yeah I think of Leena as booktuber-adjacent. Did she seem nice?
She did! It's hard to tell too much because she was doing background stuff like filming/organising but she seemed like she was getting on well with her co workers and having a laugh. I'm sure if I had spoken to her she'd have been lovely about it but I found it a bit uncomfortable to say anything when she wasn't there in her capacity as a youtuber.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
She did! It's hard to tell too much because she was doing background stuff like filming/organising but she seemed like she was getting on well with her co workers and having a laugh. I'm sure if I had spoken to her she'd have been lovely about it but I found it a bit uncomfortable to say anything when she wasn't there in her capacity as a youtuber.
Oh thats nice to hear! I like her content and general 'vibe'. I would be the same - would feel awkward to interupt her at work!

That makes me happy to hear because she seems so genuine and lovely! I've watched her videos for a few years and she has kinda left the Bootube community a bit, but she's a poet so I think she's just more professional and has more of an actual like than most booktubers do - they just seem to live at home with their parents or partner who financially support them while they just read books and call it work. Leena is an actual professional

That makes me happy to hear because she seems so genuine and lovely! I've watched her videos for a few years and she has kinda left the Bootube community a bit, but she's a poet so I think she's just more professional and has more of an actual like than most booktubers do - they just seem to live at home with their parents or partner who financially support them while they just read books and call it work. Leena is an actual professional
she's a poet? Always wondered what she was doing to earn money since she quit publishing. but then again she does also charge per video on her Patreon.. I joined to get access to her FB group but soon unsubbed because unlike most other Patreons she charges per item rather than a monthly fee. When you are on a set budget this isn't really practical as one month Leena could do a beano and your costs could rocket.. imagine if she did Vlogmas and actually posted 1 a day in December.. at £1 a time...

she also has a tier where you pay £15.50 not a one off but PER creation.. if she does 2 videos in a month.. thats over £30!

• Wow
Reactions: 1
Yeah definitely she's probably one of the only booktubers I still watch regularly despite the fact she has moved away from the community a bit.

A lot of the UK group seemed really good friends several years ago and would go away together - do they still do that? Like Lauren and the books had a podcast with Mercedes, that's how I found her. And I thought Leena was a big part of that group too.

Yeah definitely she's probably one of the only booktubers I still watch regularly despite the fact she has moved away from the community a bit.

A lot of the UK group seemed really good friends several years ago and would go away together - do they still do that? Like Lauren and the books had a podcast with Mercedes, that's how I found her. And I thought Leena was a big part of that group too.
Wasn't Jen in this and Jean? I think I've seen a video with them going away and baking. I presume the panini and them all scattering out of London has a lot to do with this ending. I recall Lauren Wade being in this but can't remember Leena..

Reactions: 1
Wasn't Jen in this and Jean? I think I've seen a video with them going away and baking. I presume the panini and them all scattering out of London has a lot to do with this ending. I recall Lauren Wade being in this but can't remember Leena..
Yeah maybe Leena wasn't - I'm thinking Jen, Jean, Lauren Wade and Mercedes definitely were and maybe Sanne from Booksandquills? I don't remember Lauren from Lauren and the books going on the holidays etc but she was on the podcast with Mercedes.

I think Leena was friends with Sanne and she did a podcast with Hannah Witton as well didn't she?

I forget just how long the restrictions etc have been going on! That probably is it to be fair.

In fairness you can cap how much you want to pay Leena on Patreon call per month. I was subbed for a while but I think you miss out on a lot of the perks if you’re not on Facebook (like the group chat, movie watchalongs, book giveaways and clothes swaps etc) which I’m not. I could be wrong but I don’t think she’s charging for all the vlogmas content because that would be a lot.

She seems to be closest to Sanne and Jen, but on friendly terms with the rest of that group too.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.