Booktubers

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
do you watch Ro? What do you think?
Only got to know her through Whateverthon sprints and I actually liked her as a person in the sprints lol. Haven’t watched too much of her actual content as she reads only fantasy and I don’t read fantasy at all.

Really like Spoopy Hol as well, glad I found her through Whateverthon. Not a big fan of Maddie - book browsing blog. Something about her irks me.

Reactions: 2
Only got to know her through Whateverthon sprints and I actually liked her as a person in the sprints lol. Haven’t watched too much of her actual content as she reads only fantasy and I don’t read fantasy at all.

Really like Spoopy Hol as well, glad I found her through Whateverthon. Not a big fan of Maddie - book browsing blog. Something about her irks me.
yes!! Completely agree. I think it’s maddies style I don’t like? It’s hard to pinpoint what exactly it is with her I don’t like. I think just a case of the way she comes across can be a bit aggressive and like she has to be the smartest person in the room

Reactions: 1
yes!! Completely agree. I think it’s maddies style I don’t like? It’s hard to pinpoint what exactly it is with her I don’t like. I think just a case of the way she comes across can be a bit aggressive and like she has to be the smartest person in the room
Yesss, after I posted I was trying to think what it was about her and what came to mind was ‘know it all’. She also strikes me as the ‘elevenerife’ type, you know always one upping you.

Also I think her final live show of the readathon was a cop out. She was all about the stats and then gave basically none. Would’ve been fun to hear how many of the books read were LGBT+ or which host fave was the most read. I get her job is a lot but don’t organise a huge readathon and then dip out after a week and leave it to your friends to run. Ro definitely carried the show with all her sprints and enthusiasm.

This one has been going around the bookish sphere and I thought it was an interesting discussion
I agreed with her about a bunch of things. I fell out of love with reading for a long period of time and I'm so glad to have come back into reading.

She mentioned that books about black people now are always about a slightly more middle class black experience, despite there being far more black writers now than ever before, but it seems pretty obvious to me that it's probably that those black writers are writing about 'what they know', so to speak - they are probably middle class themselves (I have no data on this, so I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I'm sure a large chunk of 'successful' published writers are middle class).

Reactions: 3
Yeah I think it’s tricky to find actual, authentic working class voices in fiction regardless of race to be honest. Slightly easier to find some non fiction but that’s because they have a story to tell as it were.

I agreed with her about a bunch of things. I fell out of love with reading for a long period of time and I'm so glad to have come back into reading.

She mentioned that books about black people now are always about a slightly more middle class black experience, despite there being far more black writers now than ever before, but it seems pretty obvious to me that it's probably that those black writers are writing about 'what they know', so to speak - they are probably middle class themselves (I have no data on this, so I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I'm sure a large chunk of 'successful' published writers are middle class).
Many of them are middle class. The bigger problem with their books is that the Black characters are never fully fleshed out and usually spend all their time focusing on and battling racist white people. So white people are still getting centered in these Black stories. Even in the ones by Black people who didn't grow up middle class the books are focused on teaching white people about racism.

Reactions: 4
This one has been going around the bookish sphere and I thought it was an interesting discussion
I watched the first 30 seconds and wanted to check before I comment but she’s very OTT and not very articulate, is this just her personality or is it put on?

I watched the first 30 seconds and wanted to check before I comment but she’s very OTT and not very articulate, is this just her personality or is it put on?
I think so... I think it's kind of a gossip-y commentary channel, so high energy is probably her vibe.

Also, not trying to be shady, but she did also say that by reading literary fiction she is learning as much as people who read non-fiction academic books, so I'm not with her on every single point.

While her personality and tone are very loud and energetic she is very articulate. You don't have to be soft spoken to be articulate.

While her personality and tone are very loud and energetic she is very articulate. You don't have to be soft spoken to be articulate.
I’m not suggesting it’s her tone that makes her not very articulate, but instead her speech of “I like books and publishing…” “I like, I like, I like”, it just seems, very child like?

I’m not suggesting it’s her tone that makes her not very articulate, but instead her speech of “I like books and publishing…” “I like, I like, I like”, it just seems, very child like?
Using the word like too much is also not the same thing as being inarticulate. If you actually watch more than 30 seconds you'll see she expressed some interesting viewpoints.

Using the word like too much is also not the same thing as being inarticulate. If you actually watch more than 30 seconds you'll see she expressed some interesting viewpoints.
I’m not going to argue here, each to their own… Failing to use a wide variety of language, to me, is not articulate.

Why do "influencers" lie about such weird things?

Simon Savidge on his Insta today has posted photos of a lake in Wales: "Popped to our favourite secret lake in North Wales yesterday. It’s really hard to get to and has absolutely no signal so you can really switch off… "

It's Llyn Gwynant. It's next to the A498 main road through Snowdonia. There's nothing secret about it, nor is it hard to get to. You can see it from the main road and pull into small lay-bys to get out of the car and sit on little shingle beaches. I know this area like the back of my hand. He took photos of mountains behind him which pinpoints exactly where he is.

Then he moans about how many people spoilt the peace and quiet by flying drones and having BBQs etc. :rolleyes: That's because it's very accessible to people ... y'know, by being next to a main road!!! :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 12

Ugh I have so much to say about this. I love reading but I tend to dislike a lot of popular "black" books. Most of them are about battling racism and are often centered around white people reaction to blackness. I read "Such a Fun Age" recently and I was not feeling it at all. It seemed so centered around white people. I'm sure Ace of Spades is great but I'm not reading it because it seems like the same type of thing.

Anyway in my opinion a big reason a lot of adults don't read is 1. high school ruined reading and books fo a lot of people 2. social media is ruining people's attention spans 3. they read books that don't interest them

Simon Savidge (again) has a long haired cat, and the poor thing has had a lion cut. Apparently because she was too hot ... well, now in typical British summertime style it's now freezing again. Also he obviously hasn't read up on lion cuts as cats that have these are then more prone to sunburn and over-heating. But hey ... as long as his Inst pals think it's "soo cute!!" then that's ok ... :mad:

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.