Books #33

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It is my turn to make a list of books for my bookclub to chose to read one from next month. As will be the book we read over February it would be good to have some romance on there, but I don't read a lot of it!

I have a few ideas, but I have a bit of a reputation for liking spice/fairy porn 🤣 so, I would like to put at least one spicy book on the list. The problem is the requirements include being available in paperback and in print so it can be ordered from the local independent bookshop I.e. it can't be kindle/kindle unlimited only.

Also, the group is very well read and read a lot. So it can be anything too mainstream as we won't read a book anyone has already read. So ACOTAR, Fourth Wing, Bridgerton etc. are all out.

Any recommendations of a book with a bit of spice, in paperback that a group of 20 odd women aged 30 to 70 won't have already read.
 
  • Heart
  • Like
Reactions: 4
Holy tit bags! I came on here to check things out, saw the stream of spoilers and had to go straight to the kindle app to see what had got you all riled up!

I was not expecting that!! Are we just down to the two girls now? Surely they can’t escape now? They’re only young!

The temptation to do a @ToolaRoola is sooo strong today! But I won’t give in! Roll on tomorrow!
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Ok I can resist no longer; I have downloaded 25 Days... I'll most likely start it at the weekend once I've finished my current book and I'll zoom through to catch up with you all :)
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
It is my turn to make a list of books for my bookclub to chose to read one from next month. As will be the book we read over February it would be good to have some romance on there, but I don't read a lot of it!

I have a few ideas, but I have a bit of a reputation for liking spice/fairy porn 🤣 so, I would like to put at least one spicy book on the list. The problem is the requirements include being available in paperback and in print so it can be ordered from the local independent bookshop I.e. it can't be kindle/kindle unlimited only.

Also, the group is very well read and read a lot. So it can be anything too mainstream as we won't read a book anyone has already read. So ACOTAR, Fourth Wing, Bridgerton etc. are all out.

Any recommendations of a book with a bit of spice, in paperback that a group of 20 odd women aged 30 to 70 won't have already read.
This is recency bias as I only just read it but maybe Under Your Spell by Laura Wood? It was recommended by tattlers previously. There's some good book club chat themes (issues of fame, complex family dynamics, sisterhood, childhood traditions, nostalgia, tit ex-boyfriends, job loss, figuring out what to do with your life etc). It's got a little spice and even with some angsty themes was good fun. Lovely MMC too.
 
  • Heart
  • Like
Reactions: 6
I haven't read this book but I did read the Borrow a Bookshop Holiday and didn't enjoy it at all.
I think I might just ditch this one. The main character is a 65 year old lady. Now I’m not ageist but it’s like she’s written like she’s in her 40s then the author must think oh tit! She’s meant to be older so then you get her referencing that she’s the same age as Madonna
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Reactions: 2
This is recency bias as I only just read it but maybe Under Your Spell by Laura Wood? It was recommended by tattlers previously. There's some good book club chat themes (issues of fame, complex family dynamics, sisterhood, childhood traditions, nostalgia, tit ex-boyfriends, job loss, figuring out what to do with your life etc). It's got a little spice and even with some angsty themes was good fun. Lovely MMC too.
Ooh good call! Plus Theo 🥰
 
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
I think I might just ditch this one. The main character is a 65 year old lady. Now I’m not ageist but it’s like she’s written like she’s in her 40s then the author must think oh tit! She’s meant to be older so then you get her referencing that she’s the same age as Madonna
It does annoy me when they write characters as if they are younger than what they are supposed to be. I mean a read a book where the child was 3 but the author wrote her as if she was at least 8 years old as she was including words that a 3 year old would not be able to say.
 
It does annoy me when they write characters as if they are younger than what they are supposed to be. I mean a read a book where the child was 3 but the author wrote her as if she was at least 8 years old as she was including words that a 3 year old would not be able to say.
I read ‘if this was a movie’ and the MMC had a five year old daughter. She was speaking like she was 20, reallyyyy annoyed me 😂
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
I read ‘if this was a movie’ and the MMC had a five year old daughter. She was speaking like she was 20, reallyyyy annoyed me 😂
It's as if the authors don't do any research into what a child would say or do.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
Just saw this on Instagram. Yellow face and Cleopatra & Frankenstein are also listed at the back as due to have TV adaptations

Cleopatra and Frankenstein is under development as a TV series but there have been no updates since 2022, there is no cast attached yet or director. So I doubt it will be out in 2025 if at all.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1
Cleopatra and Frankenstein is under development as a TV series but there have been no updates since 2022, there is no cast attached yet or director. So I doubt it will be out in 2025 if at all.
I do wonder how well this would transfer to screen. I adored it but Im not sure about a tv adaption.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3
Just caught up! Omg what a chapter!

So many questions! How are they still alive after another night in freezing temperatures?
are there two of them? So shooter and snow mobile person aren’t the same? Is snow mobile person trying to save them but maybe not if he’s battered the mum.
who built the snowman? Was it Adam? Is he dead?
As it’s midnight I could technically read on but going to save it for tomorrow proper.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 6
I do wonder how well this would transfer to screen. I adored it but Im not sure about a tv adaption.
Yeah, not sure how well it would translate for a medium where you usually do need to like the characters to engage.

I think it'd be more Conversations with Friends than Normal People in that the characters are less TV likable and then it might flop.

Will also depend of course on casting...
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
I can’t believe Adam survived the fall, must have not been as far as I thought. I wonder where the rest of them are.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 6
I can’t believe adam
Is still alive! The temptation to read on is strong! I want to know where Beth & the girls are. Are they safe? Did snowmobile save them. WHO is snowmobile person? I think Beth may know who it is because she spotted them right at the beginning of the story and she still hasn’t said anything. Surely it would be something you bring up!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 5
I really thought Adam was a goner! And the theory that he's the one doing this to them is probably out the window.

I'm also back to thinking snowmobile person is trying to save them and maybe they were aggressive about it because the shooter was nearby and they needed to stop them from trying to run or fight?

Going back to this being a trip to mend their relationship, I wonder if Adam or Beth has cheated and whoever is after them is a scorned lover or the spouse of the person.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.