Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

nbt

VIP Member
I’m kicking off July (how are we already picking July?!) nominations…

Clickbait by LC North

Amazon product

'We're not famous anymore. We're notorious.'

For over a decade, the Lancasters were celebrity royalty, with millions tuning in every week to watch their reality show, Living with the Lancasters.

But then an old video emerges of one of their legendary parties. Suddenly, they're in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons: witnesses swore they'd seen missing teenager Bradley Wilcox leaving the Lancaster family home on the night of the party, but the video tells a different story

Now true crime investigator and YouTuber Tom Isaac is on the case. He's determined to find out what really happened to Bradley - he just needs to read between the Lancasters' lies . . .

Because when the cameras are always rolling, it won't be long until someone cracks.

Reactions: 12

nbt

VIP Member
Got a busy weekend ahead so tallying up votes now in case I don’t get chance in the morning!

Clickbait - LC North
@nbt 12 votes

Everyone Here is Lying - Shari Lapena
@emmer_moans 11 votes

The Ferryman - Justin Cronin
@Smca53 2 votes

The Only One Left - Riley Sager
@Marylou 1 vote
(I’m classing this as a nomination as it was linked but I’m not sure if others noticed so please nominate again next month if so!)

So July’s book is Clickbait by LC North.

It’s currently 99p for the rest of this month on kindle.

Reactions: 8

emmer_moans

VIP Member
My Husband review:

Okay, so I finished it, and actually I'm glad I did because it immediately made me feel better about myself. Why? Because I always thought I'm an overthinker...but JEEEEEEEEEEEES LOUIIIIIIIISE I don't think as obsessively as this woman! My goodness, I could not get through life analysing every thing and punishing someone. Yes, I know the husband in the epilogue turns out to be just as bad as her and controlling her and encouraging her anxiety but I think they are both as bad as each other.

I feel a lot more realistic in life compared to this woman who seems so obsessed with being in love that she's actually really not in love, and is anxious and yet doesn't want to leave him. And he is the same, he doesn't want her to leave but he's acting hot and cold to control her, and doesn't seem to mind that she sleeps with other men because he can use it to his advantage. wow.

I think I will sleep so much better tonight knowing I'm not in that sort of relationship! 😅 I guess I couldn't relate to her, she doesn't seem to give much of a care for her kids at all in her obsession to keep her husband interested. I think the reason I - and probably most of us - struggled to read it is because it's like a constant stream of anxiety. That's why I had to read it in small bursts.

But, I tried something outside of my usual TBR list and this is how you learn new things/try new things. I need a nice cheesy crime thriller or fantasy book next as a palate cleanser. I think I rate it 3 stars for the idea, but 2 stars for the enjoyment factor.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

nbt

VIP Member
Just a reminder that we’ve got a general book thread for discussing anything other than the book club pick.

I don’t want peoples posts to be ignored or missed because it’s not in the general thread 😊

Reactions: 7

ToolaRoola

VIP Member
I finished last month's pick, The murder the night before, this week.

I enjoyed it but felt there was some unnecessary bits for example, Jack and the undercover police story - this just made my eyes roll and I think it could have worked without the neighbours and boss all knowing Lulu. Posey could have just been investigating Lulu, she could have just had an affair with Patrick, there was no need for them all to be linked.

I quite liked her writing style and do have her other book so will definitely give it a go.

I think it might have been a 3* from me

Reactions: 6

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
Well I did it, I finally finished The Husband! It has never taken me so long to read a book as short as this. I wasn’t sure I’d ever finish at one point and thought I’d be stuck in the narrator’s stream of consciousness forever and ever.
I have to say I really disliked this book, it’s not the worst book I’ve read this year but it’s down there hanging out with them at the very bottom of the pile. Is it the worst book ever written? No. Does the book have zero plot and make you question if you’re reading for pleasure or torture? Yes.

Even the big reveal of the husband knowing about her weird ways just fell flat as by that point I didn’t care. I second what others have said about it possibly working better as a novella and I agree. You could have had a handful of pages per day and got to the point in a much quicker, concise and thought out matter.

I’m glad I stepped out my comfort level but I’m heading straight for the new Housemaid book now to cleanse my palette and get me back on track.

• Heart

emmer_moans

VIP Member
They renew 1st of the month. If you go to books > kindle books > deals or something like that theyl come up.
oh good, thank you, so I was looking in the right place. Sometimes I find amazon filters a bit overwhelming 😅 I'm going to sign up to the emails so I am more aware of what's available going forward.

So yes, I'll nominate: Everyone Here is Lying by Shari Lapena

81rLJVDbIOL._SL1500_.jpg

Discover the gripping new thriller from the Sunday Times bestselling author of The Couple Next Door

'The most addictive book I've read in ages…Just brilliant.' Lisa Jewell

'Fast paced, tightly-plotted and with twists so well executed they floored me. Loved every word!' Claire Douglas

'Genius. I loved it.' Andrea Mara

Welcome to Stanhope - a safe neighbourhood. A place for families.

William Wooler is a family man, on the surface. But he's been having an affair, an affair that ended horribly this afternoon at a motel up the road.

So, when he returns to his house, devastated and angry, to find his difficult nine-year-old daughter Avery unexpectedly home from school, William loses his temper.

Hours later, Avery's family declares her missing.

Suddenly Stanhope doesn't feel so safe. And William isn't the only one on his street who's hiding a lie.

As witnesses come forward with information that may or may not be true, Avery's neighbours become increasingly unhinged.

Who took Avery Wooler?

Nothing will prepare you for the truth…

-------------

Praise for Everyone Here is Lying:

'Shari Lapena is the queen of the "just one more chapter" read. A chilling exploration of the worst-case repercussions and extensive fallout of a brief affair.' Sarah Vaughan, author of Anatomy of a Scandal

'A taut, clever, chilling ride of manipulation and family secrets . . . Prepare to be consumed!' Ashley Audrain, author of The Whispers

'I inhaled Everyone Here Is Lying. The pace never flags, the twists are fiendishly clever, and the writing is as perfect as can be.' Liz Nugent, author of Strange Sally Diamon

'Shari Lapena is a modern master of the psychological thriller, and all of her considerable talents are at work in Everyone Here Is Lying.' Steve Cavanagh, author of Fifty Fifty

'You simply can't put it down' Robert Gold, author of Twelve Secrets

'I defy you to put it down until you know what happened to Avery Wooler.' Gilly Macmillan, author of The Fall

'Shari Lapena is an expert in both pace and the placing of clues and misdirections' Literary Review

'A fast-paced read with jaw-dropping twists' The i

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
I thought I'd lost you guys 🙉

If anyone has Everand (formerly Scribd) My Husband is available for free on audiobook.
I thought I’d lost the thread too!!

I’m 40% of the way through and I’m just not bothered. It’s alright but I’m just finding it irritating. Why is she so whingy? Some elements I’m relating to, like some of her anxieties but for the most part I’m just thinking ‘shut up and get on with it’. I’ve had a run of books about rich and privileged women complaining about stuff and I think I’m over it now.

I’ll keep going but I think this is going to be a bottom of the pile book for me.

Last edited:

GoofyPrincess

Chatty Member
Dam I’ve read a couple of Shari Lapena books before and really enjoyed them but this one is $12.99 where I live. I hate how we get different deals here!

• Sad

QueenBW

VIP Member
Yep finished it and... Yep.

I usually enjoy unhinged women narrators but her desperation to be liked by men, th continued use or "my husband" (I know it was the point but it was so annoying and had I read it in french "Mon Mari" would have made me crawl up a wall) and her absolutely pathetic obsession made me really wish for a swift end to the torture 😂

And to top it all she wasn't actually even as smart as she thought she was and he was the puppeteer the whole time. Eh. Not my cup of tea.

Reactions: 5

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
How is it possible that I’ve been reading this book for a full week and I’m only at 79%?! It’s only 250 pages long, it should only have taken me 2-3 days. I almost don’t want to read anymore, I’ve just been skim reading for the last 20% as I just don’t care anymore.

nbt

VIP Member
Okay so I’m pleased I went ahead and read it. It definitely helped reading a chunk in one go because I skim read the last 10% just wanting it to be over after I’d put it down 😂

I agree with pretty much everything else that’s already been said. Giving it 2.5 stars.

emmer_moans

VIP Member
Any more nominations? Current 99p deals end Sunday so as long as votes are counted by then, we’ll have time to purchase anything.
I'm still a bit of a newbie when it comes to 99p deals, how are you searching for them? I want to make sure I search the same way as everyone else - like are deals offered to me the same as deals offered to you? I can then take a look and see if any catch my eye :)

Edit to add:
Do they refresh every Sunday? If so, this one catches my eye, plus Clickbait, to be fair!

1719428649508.png

Last edited:

Carapop

VIP Member
3.5*
There’s humour to be found in her internal monologue and old 50’s housewife ways. every single thing she does is so considered and intentional and downright manipulative, I can’t help but wonder how she’d score in a psychopathy assessment. Her work as a translator affords an interesting glimpse into the intricacies involved with translating text which I’d never before known or imagined. But I’d love to have found out more about who she is, where she came from, the impoverished childhood referenced but never elaborated upon. As it was, the chapters became monotonous and a little tedious. If it had been published as a short story or even novella I think it would have been stronger a work. The impact of the story felt diluted in its current form. I do feel the epilogue deserves the extra half star though.

Reactions: 4

nbt

VIP Member
Argh, I’ve only just finished my first kindle book of the month (The Most Fun We Ever Had - enjoyed it but it’s long and I’ve been fairly busy), so I was going to move on to this one next as it’s short and now I don’t know 👀

I have some time today so I might just dedicate a couple of hours to it and hope that helps?!

QueenBW

VIP Member
Sadly Clickbait is not a Kindle deals in the US and isn't even available on Kindle. I think it isn't being published in the states yet? I'm not going to pay 22 bucks to import it haha. It sounds really good so I'll be waiting for your reviews 😉

• Sad

Marylou

VIP Member
Lol I didn't even realise that I'd nominated a book. I purchased both of the top 2 books so will be able to participate in July's nominations. Thanks @nbt for taking the time to tally and sort.

emmer_moans

VIP Member
I'm 20% in, it's like a stream of consciousness, this woman has a lot of thoughts all at once 😅. I'll read some more later but she's not likeable at the moment 😅

emmer_moans

VIP Member
Seeing some comments here about how nothing progresses, no character development etc, you're right, it didn't go anywhere, it was essentially a stream of consciousness for a week of someone's life. Interesting concept but in execution I don't think any of us have come away liking the characters.