Birthday Cake Advice

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey!
It’s my dads 60th birthday very soon & I wanted to make a cake for him.

I was thinking baileys chocolate cake but not sure whether I should do salted caramel buttercream…I don’t like salted caramel so not sure whether this would really go together or whether I should do a Baileys buttercream too?

or, maybe a vanilla sponge with strawberry buttercream but I think that’s a bit boring.

I haven’t baked in a long time and havent done icing but I want to do it myself as it’s more personal and I’m skint 😂. I’ve got some personalised toppers coming and a restaurant booked but not sure how to transport it so if you can recommend a tall cake tin that won’t break the bank, that would be fab!

thank you!

Hey!

I was thinking baileys chocolate cake but not sure whether I should do salted caramel buttercream…I don’t like salted caramel so not sure whether this would really go together or whether I should do a Baileys buttercream too?

or, maybe a vanilla sponge with strawberry buttercream but I think that’s a bit boring.

I haven’t baked in a long time and havent done icing but I want to do it myself as it’s more personal and I’m skint 😂. I’ve got some personalised toppers coming and a restaurant booked but not sure how to transport it so if you can recommend a tall cake tin that won’t break the bank, that would be fab!

thank you!
I’m afraid I’m not a baker so can’t help with the flavours other than to say depending on who is coming you may want to go for something not too rich. Lakeland do really great baking equipment and containers but they can be quite pricey - you might want to look on their website and then see if you can source something similar elsewhere.

Final point is just worth checking with the restaurant that they’re happy with you bringing a cake if you haven’t already. I read an article the other day that some places are charging a ‘cakeage’ fee (like corkage) for you bringing your own dessert which can be per head. It may be less than the price of a dessert but still perhaps not something you’d factor in.

Hope it goes well for you, you should post a picture of the finished creation!

Hey!

thank you!
I don't like salted caramel so wouldn't choose to put it in/on a cake...ever. Would perhaps a chocolate cake with Baileys buttercream work? This icing is incredible (in fact so are most of Jane's recipes) https://www.janespatisserie.com/2015/12/31/baileys-cupcakes/

in terms of transport, if you have a hobby craft near you (or somewhere similar, I guess The Range or somewhere similar might also have them), you can pick up a cardboard cake box and base for less than a fiver... then you're not stuck with things you're unlikely to use again afterwards

Ahh thanks guys, will check out that recipe and pop along to the range/hobby craft as they are the same side of town and it will help me get my steps in 😂

Luckily I have checked with the restaurant and it’s ok for a cake and even decorations, they just can’t store the cake which is fine.

I have a couple of weeks to get sorted so I need to get my butt in gear!

Reactions: 1
I wouldn’t do a baileys infused cake and bailey’s buttercream, I think that’d be a bit sickly. But then again I don’t like baileys lol!

You could do your bog standard chocolate sponge with bailey’s buttercream. I think that’d be nice. And for the topping, any other chocolates (malteasers, minstrels etc), spray them with edible gold dust or something like that. So it looks really snazzy but isn’t that much effort? Or melt chocolate for the topping and do a ‘drippy‘ style top 😆

I wouldn’t do a baileys infused cake and bailey’s buttercream, I think that’d be a bit sickly. But then again I don’t like baileys lol!

You could do your bog standard chocolate sponge with bailey’s buttercream. I think that’d be nice. And for the topping, any other chocolates (malteasers, minstrels etc), spray them with edible gold dust or something like that. So it looks really snazzy but isn’t that much effort? Or melt chocolate for the topping and do a ‘drippy‘ style top 😆
yeah I’m thinking choc sponge with baileys buttercream and was thinking of putting chocolates on it too. The toppers I’ve got are in gold so that would work out quite well!

Reactions: 1
Well guys, I’ve just finished the sponges and tomorrow I will be putting them all together and doing the buttercream icing.
I went for baileys chocolate cake in the end as I thought that would go down well with the whole family (I hope!). I have some gold spray and gold & silver candles, as well as a personalised decoration. I just hope I do the icing ok 😬

I’ll post a pic if it looks ok 😆

• Heart
Reactions: 4
It looks terrible. Cake decorator will definitely not be going on my CV (I’ve never done it before) 😂 but here you go because everyone could do with a laugh on a spring weekend! Let’s hope it tastes ok!
35CBC040-6BA0-4BCA-8EAD-B67705A494D0.jpeg
B745FEAD-5E0F-4E27-B8B2-2E0054BFDF01.jpeg

Reactions: 7
Thank you guys 🥰
It’s been hard work trying to get all the family together and stuff sorted with no help from the others. I wanted Dad to have a cake and I’m sure he will appreciate the gesture ☺

Reactions: 2
Today didn’t go as planned as my poor dad got a bug yesterday. So no meal today but he was better so got to enjoy some cake.
I should have been more generous with the buttercream in between the cake slices but I was worried it was too much! I know for next time and I would definitely use more baileys. my decorating skills are much to be desired but I will get there.

I’m going to practise baking a lot more now, especially as it’s my nans 80th next year, so I would like to make her cake. I do enjoy baking, I just can’t eat it all myself as I need to lose some pounds hahaha.
48C2B812-0E1A-4CC6-B4B3-E0C524A55E82.jpeg
5B2790C9-5E8D-479C-8624-D0AFCB7EBC0D.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Today didn’t go as planned as my poor dad got a bug yesterday. So no meal today but he was better so got to enjoy some cake.
I should have been more generous with the buttercream in between the cake slices but I was worried it was too much! I know for next time and I would definitely use more baileys. my decorating skills are much to be desired but I will get there.

I’m going to practise baking a lot more now, especially as it’s my nans 80th next year, so I would like to make her cake. I do enjoy baking, I just can’t eat it all myself as I need to lose some pounds hahaha. View attachment 1218955View attachment 1218958
Well done, it looks great and sounds tasty. Hope you all enjoyed it!