Being in a relationship with someone who has kids

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
He clearly wants nothing to do with the child and would resent you if you did force him to take the child and you would end up doing all the work and resenting him and be much harder to walk away. Ive been a stepparent for a good few years now and the one thing Ive learned is you cant care more than the biological parents do.

Reactions: 5
Your boyfriend just sounds like he has a lot of growing up to do. I'd be showing him the door and that would be that. I know that's easier said than done but for me his whole attitude stinks and that isn't someone I'd be looking to build a future with. That poor child sounds like it has a dad who couldn't care less if said child existed and that's really sad to me, this is coming from someone who hasn't got kids and doesn't want any in the immediate future. If I were you I'd walk away. I really hope that child has at least got other loving family members around rather than the mum and dad who both seem useless.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
He clearly wants nothing to do with the child and would resent you if you did force him to take the child and you would end up doing all the work and resenting him and be much harder to walk away. Ive been a stepparent for a good few years now and the one thing Ive learned is you cant care more than the biological parents do.
This is why I’ve come to this point, I know I’ll end up doing everything and spoiling the child to try and make up for their parents and as bad as it makes me feel for choosing not to, I can’t save everyone and already do a lot for others.
---
Your boyfriend just sounds like he has a lot of growing up to do. I'd be showing him the door and that would be that. I know that's easier said than done but for me his whole attitude stinks and that isn't someone I'd be looking to build a future with. That poor child sounds like it has a dad who couldn't care less if said child existed and that's really sad to me, this is coming from someone who hasn't got kids and doesn't want any in the immediate future. If I were you I'd walk away. I really hope that child has at least got other loving family members around rather than the mum and dad who both seem useless.
You’re right. I think after the initial disinterest he did kind of come round to seeing the child and being involved but not overnight due to living conditions etc. then when she said he can’t see the child anymore he was stubborn instead of taking her to court etc. and now I think he’s realised his lack of involvement means things are more difficult. When I have previously suggested taking the child out for days he says the child is very difficult and clingy to their Mum. I think I’m just going to dip out without making it about this because I don’t want to effect this situation anymore than it already is.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.