Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
A new male friend keeps saying he's really jealous of my boyfriend and that I'd make a perfect girlfriend.

It has started playing on my mind, because I am in a happy relationship with my boyfriend and would not cheat on him. But I can't stop thinking about how things could have played out with this male friend if I were single right now, because we have a good connection. I feel so guilty for even thinking about this though šŸ˜­.

Does anyone have advice, or have been in a similar situation before?
this ā€œnewā€ friend ISNT friend! He quite clearly wants in your pants. Tell him to jog on.

Reactions: 29

AnnaLee

Some good advice here so far. The only thing I would add - even if you werenā€™t happy with your boyfriend and things were coming to a natural end, you do not want to get involved with your friend. A guy who will openly flirt with a woman who is in a relationship is not the kind of person you want to be with. If he does that with you, he will do it with other women.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

at-the-disco

Chatty Member
I think it's really disrespectful for him to be saying these things to you whilst you are in a relationship. Based off this he doesn't really sound like a good guy? it's not worth even fantasising over.

similar thing happened to me, happy in a relationship and the guy i was seeing before came back BEGGING for me to dump my bf and be with him instead. it rubbed me the wrong way because its hugely disrespectful and messing with your feelings.

• Heart
Reactions: 14

LaurieLaurie

VIP Member
Would you be happy with a new female friend flirting with your boyfriend?

This sounds like the start of cheating. Heā€™s clearly turned your head and youā€™re flattered blah blah. Cut off contact or dump your boyfriend.

• Heart
Reactions: 14

Definitelyme

VIP Member
A new male friend keeps saying he's really jealous of my boyfriend and that I'd make a perfect girlfriend.

It has started playing on my mind, because I am in a happy relationship with my boyfriend and would not cheat on him. But I can't stop thinking about how things could have played out with this male friend if I were single right now, because we have a good connection. I feel so guilty for even thinking about this though šŸ˜­.

My advice would be either to stop seeing this guy, if he is a new friend itā€™s not a huge loss, or tell him very clearly that itā€™s not gonna happen.

I think everyone is flattered by flirting, and itā€™s natural sometimes for you to daydream of scenarios with other people, even if totally content in your relationship.

But he isnā€™t being very fair to you by putting you in an awkward position (which you should also tell him)

Reactions: 12

Babyyoda88

VIP Member
In the past (people donā€™t say it so much to me anymore šŸ˜‚) but I had a few men say this to me (one when I was at uni, one who was a relative of someone I went to school with, and one who went to school with my then boyfriend) and they were all slime balls. I donā€™t think a respectful guy would say that to a girl tbh and I wouldnā€™t trust them as far as I could throw them. But thatā€™s just me x

Reactions: 9

ClockworkDolly

VIP Member

He is no friend of yours. He wants to shag you.

Stick to your fella, ditch this fake friend.

Reactions: 9

Babyyoda88

VIP Member
Some good advice here so far. The only thing I would add - even if you werenā€™t happy with your boyfriend and things were coming to a natural end, you do not want to get involved with your friend. A guy who will openly flirt with a woman who is in a relationship is not the kind of person you want to be with. If he does that with you, he will do it with other women.
To add on to this, some men like the chase of a woman in a relationship. Theyā€™ll befriend you but thereā€™s only one intention in mind. So regardless of if you stick with your bf or not, as the above poster said, I would steer clear of this guy.

Reactions: 8

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
I would tell your boyfriend immediately. This guy doesnā€™t sound like a friend at all. If he was, he would respect your relationship

Ohchristmastree

I agree with all of the above, also, just to add I would also tell my boyfriend. I always think honesty is the best policy and even though nothing has happened or will happen, you donā€™t want it to come out in the future. Just my opinion šŸ˜‰

Missgobby124

Chatty Member
I feel like this is so typical of men. They always want what they canā€™t have and possibly you being in a relationship has made him think this way because suddenly youā€™re not as accessible. I donā€™t think you should even entertain it, if youā€™re content and happy with your boyfriend then you should focus on him and not pay any attention. Sometimes the grass isnā€™t greener on the other side, sometimes itā€™s just not worth it, in this case it isnā€™t worth it. Youā€™d be hurting someone. If youā€™re not 100% about your boyfriend then leave him so he can find someone who wonā€™t be tempted by others so easily

Reactions: 6

Pinkblush

VIP Member
Some people want what they can't have or like the excitement of what's not in their reach. You usually find with people like this as soon as they get you their interest wains slightly because the excitement has gone.

Reactions: 5

mochibean

VIP Member
Can I possibly jump on this thread & ask for some advice please?

I am currently in a similar(ish) situation.

A few weeks ago a man I was talking to before I met my partner popped back up to see how I was (unaware I was in a relationship). The thing is he had randomly been on my mind a lot before he messaged me. Itā€™s kind of freaked me out a little because I feel like Iā€™ve sort of spoken him back into my life. I was supposed to go on a date with him (5 years ago) but it never happened and I ended up meeting my current partner instead. I think I have always always wondered what would have been and just canā€™t shake this feeling. He has been respectful when I said I was with my partner and hasnā€™t messaged me again but I really just want to talk to him all the time. I know itā€™s a wild fantasy but does this not signify that Iā€™m not truly happy? I love my partner so much and he makes me so happy. I just feel enormous guilt for having these feelings but what if I could be happier elsewhere?

Is it normal for women to fantasise about another life sometimes?
I've been with my partner 10 years, with a couple of breaks when we really needed it. I still have fantasies about other men, other lives, even sleeping with other men. I do think it's normal, as long as you don't act on it or cross any lines then it's just something in your mind. I have had these feelings come and go, about various different people. They're just crushes and fantasies, nothing more.

Only you know if you're truly happy. But it sounds like you really do love your partner and are very happy together.
I've never told my partner about these feelings, I actually just write things down (somewhere secret, for me I write in Japanese so nobody else understands lol) as it does help to let all my feelings out, or talk to a friend about how you're feeling.

You'd be surprised, out of all my friends every single one have had these types of feelings for another man. We're human and it's healthy to have feelings, and doubts about our futures.

• Heart

Tinkerbell cat

VIP Member
I found in the past guys like this like the chase... Then they get bored. These situations never end well and the grass is never greener.

Isa Drennan

Chatty Member
Anytime he says these things imagine your partner is right there! He sounds like a twat, I would speak to your partner honestly about the guy, cut your losses with the friendship or have a friendship where you maintain boundaries

It doesnā€™t sound like the ā€œfriendā€ has any respect at all for your relationship

Reactions: 4

Milliehaha123

Chatty Member
Thank you for taking the time to respond to this it means a lot.

I think because he is the complete opposite of my partner itā€™s where the daydreaming is coming from. I know in reality it would never work out but just more concerned that I want this type of man instead. Itā€™s hard to go in to too much detail but this man is older with a very good career, two houses (you know the rest). Itā€™s very materialistic but I am the provider in my household and just wonder sometimes how nice it would be to share the responsibilityā€™s or be with someone more ambitious. I love my partner but I feel more like his mother sometimes.

Thank you for this reply too. I completely agree and probably think Iā€™m an absolute psychopath for ending an entire relationship over one conversation šŸ˜‚

ETA - not sure if this was for me or the OP but Iā€™ll take the advice either way !!
I had this exact situation years ago. I chose to end my relationship because I honestly could not stop thinking about this other guy, imagining us having sex and our wonderful life together. It was a terrible decision, he ended up to be an absolute nightmare and I regretted everything. As others have said the grass is not always greener- you sound really happy with your partner and I think some fantasies are totally normal :)

• Sad
Reactions: 4

Milliehaha123

Chatty Member
Wow, you are very brave though! Did you ever consider going back to your old partner? Do you think you realised something was missing anyway after all of that?

It sounds exactly like how Iā€™m feeling. Iā€™m not even being dramatic but I dream about him every night (Iā€™m not crazy I promise šŸ˜‚). I just feel like my life is going nowhere and Iā€™m stuck in this relationship. I went to therapy a few years ago and she said I am the sort of person who craves excitement/new things and this is definitely how I feel. I just want to date, have mind blowing sex and fall in love all over again. I know this always wears off though so Iā€™ll probably never be happy.
It was an awful decision to make but I trusted my gut (which ended up to be wrong lol) but no I never felt like I should go back to original boyfriend. Although this literally just contradicts everything Iā€™ve just said ^^ I thought that my feelings for this other guy symbolised a deeper unhappiness. I too was dreaming about him on a weekly basis, every time his name popped up in my phone I felt a sense of excitement, I wanted to message him all the small little things youā€™d usually share with your partner etc. It was awful and I felt evil but I also didnā€™t want to look back on my life 20 years on and have regrets. It ended up being a great decision as I met my partner (weā€™ve been together for 8 years) and Iā€™ve never had the same feelings towards anyone. Occasionally Iā€™ll see a handsome guy who I think šŸ¤Ŗ or an old flames name pop up and Iā€™ll wonder what happened to him but nothing like the same level of intensity I felt previously.

Now I am really going back on my original post (šŸ¤£) but what I would say is life is short. If you just want all the excitement and to have some banging sex I donā€™t think that would constitute a valid reason for a break up, relationships do get dusty and I think itā€™s natural to crave a shake up, but I think your wording ā€˜stuck in this relationshipā€™ is pretty telling ā˜¹ Life is too short to be with the wrong person. Good luck with your decision itā€™s not an easy one!!! X

• Heart
Reactions: 3

AutumnSpring

Can I possibly jump on this thread & ask for some advice please?

I am currently in a similar(ish) situation.

A few weeks ago a man I was talking to before I met my partner popped back up to see how I was (unaware I was in a relationship). The thing is he had randomly been on my mind a lot before he messaged me. Itā€™s kind of freaked me out a little because I feel like Iā€™ve sort of spoken him back into my life. I was supposed to go on a date with him (5 years ago) but it never happened and I ended up meeting my current partner instead. I think I have always always wondered what would have been and just canā€™t shake this feeling. He has been respectful when I said I was with my partner and hasnā€™t messaged me again but I really just want to talk to him all the time. I know itā€™s a wild fantasy but does this not signify that Iā€™m not truly happy? I love my partner so much and he makes me so happy. I just feel enormous guilt for having these feelings but what if I could be happier elsewhere?

Is it normal for women to fantasise about another life sometimes?

Reactions: 3