Baby showers

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My cousin is having a baby shower next month. She’s 36 and it’s her first baby. I always thought this was a American thing? Do I buy presents for her or the baby? I think it’s a bit of a new thing that has made its way over here. I’m used to buying presents when the baby is born. It just sounds like a excuse for presents to me. Am I just a miserable cow? 😂 What’s your opinion on baby showers in the U.K.?

Reactions: 1
I'm a bit of tight arse, if I'm forced to go to one then I buy for the baby as I would if I'd bought it something after it was born (and wouldn't gift anything further) tbh if its not a family member or close friend I tend to make an excuse not to go, I have 3 kids = 0 baby showers! I would hate to have to put other people through it! But I'm a miserable witch like that sometimes! Plus I always feel like a twit having to play stupid games!

Reactions: 4
I’m also a grumpy woman and dislike them like gender reveals.

I would buy for the mother personally and get a book for the child 😂.

Reactions: 4
Baby showers are usually organised by close family or best friend of the parent to be. They are more about a bit of a get together and an afternoon of daft games and FUN before that little bundle of joy wrecks all of your life as you previously knew it (joking..sort of). You would usually buy a gift for the baby but you don't have to.

Reactions: 3
I never had one for either of my kids, however, anyone around me who's having a baby has had one. Usually I buy something for the baby, and if I do that then I won't buy the baby anything when its born. It seems to be just a big thing for receiving as many gifts as possible and making a big a fuss as possible 🤣 which has really never been my style so I refused a baby shower both times, im a bit more low key the less attention on me the better. Celebs are having huge baby showers nowadays so I suppose other people try to emulate that 🤷🏼‍♀️

I find them a bit needless and grabby personally 😂 I’m currently pregnant and couldn’t imagine finding time to organise what seems to amount to an adult version of a kids birthday party just to try and get gifts from friends and family. Likewise gender reveals. It’s all a bit for the ‘gram for me.

If people come to visit after the baby arrives or invite us to visit and wish to give a gift that is lovely and generous. If they choose to ask what might be helpful even better! I would never make any requests or have any expectations.

I don’t feel I need to be gifted anything for a life decision I chose to make - having a baby is the biggest gift in itself. A friend who visited bought me some amazing hand cream recently as she said once I start changing nappies and washing my hands constantly they’ll be really dry. Thoughtful and not too expensive so if you are looking for a small gift for the mum-to-be that may be a good idea.

I haven’t received any gifts from friends for baby as yet aside from a babygrow I was with someone when they bought which is gorgeous. A voucher would be appreciated by most people as there’ll be something pop up that is needed and having flexibility in what to get helps.

My Mum threw me one which was just close family
(my brother, his wife, my 2 sisters) and my nieces and nephews. We all just played stupid games like pin the dummy on the baby etc 😂 I’d have preferred that tbh over a big event with loads of my mates. My family just got me quite a few bits and bobs of stuff I needed with loads of clothes for the baby

Reactions: 2
My cousin is having a baby shower next month. She’s 36 and it’s her first baby. I always thought this was a American thing? Do I buy presents for her or the baby? I think it’s a bit of a new thing that has made its way over here. I’m used to buying presents when the baby is born. It just sounds like a excuse for presents to me. Am I just a miserable cow? 😂 What’s your opinion on baby showers in the U.K.?
These things cost a fortune on presents