Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Magee

VIP Member
I, for one, look forward to this group of influencers being named and shamed. I would hedge my bets and say the vast majority have Tattle threads with people complaining about deceitful posts, shady competitions, undisclosed ADs and frustrated with comments being deleted when they highlight their wrong doings.

The money influencers make from these posts should equate to the fine they pay. The money should fund more ASA officers, because clearly there is a demand for more regulation and rules.

In my opinion it equates to fraud. What’s your thoughts?

Article here;https://www.asa.org.uk/news/taking-action-against-non-compliant-influencers.html

• Heart
Reactions: 19

BigMavis

VIP Member
I am raging about this issue. Absolutely fed up of being sold to on the daily by sly tactics, I'm also over the filters being used when advertising products, for example body filters when selling me swimwear. Probably a whole other kettle of fish but its high time that was really cracked down on too.
Fine the lot of them and remove their platforms if they continue I say.

• Heart
Reactions: 14

ladyladythreetimes

Chatty Member
Good, they should be held to account.
Chloe Ferry was advertising (without disclosing it was an ad) for a debt management company breezily suggesting it was easy to wipe away your debt. The company basically suggest getting an IVA (alternative to bankruptcy) and of course there were no details in the ad about what a big decision that is and how it impacts your credit rating. Very grim and potentially very damaging to young/impressionable followers who don’t fully grasp the situation and just see the words ‘write off your debt!’.

• Wow
Reactions: 11

LilBoPeep

VIP Member
HINCH better be on this list.

Are Americans governed by the same rules as the ASA? There's one I follow and she never ever ever declared them as Ads when they are 5 or 6 stories long and 100 percent and ad.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

NeverEnough

VIP Member
Whilst welcoming this step it just makes me scratch my head and think what’s the point? All it will do is get more people to visit their accounts to see what the fuss is about, which will lead to more hit’s, more likes more followers, more endorsements and the cycle continues.

Ultimately the only way to stop the “influencer” virus is to not be influenced by them. IE don’t follow.

And finally, are there really people in the world who would buy a product because Chloe Khan tells them too? Utterly inexplicable....

Reactions: 6

kazizzle

VIP Member
Really hope they actually look at smaller influencers too and not just Z-list celebrities. There are so many out there not declaring properly and something needs to be done. I've reported a few over the last few months and never heard anything back from the ASA and never seen them appear in their weekly rulings update either. If they want influencers to take the law seriously, they need to enforce them.

• Heart

bellinibobble

VIP Member
One I really don’t like is Olivia Bowen from Love Island, think she’s been warned before of not following the rules, but she’ll post an undisclosed ad on her grid, and then edit the caption 6 hours later (once most people have seen/engaged with it) to add the ‘ad’ to it (at the end as well). I feel like that’s sneakier and more dishonest and manipulative than not declaring it at all - it’s like she knows the rules but chooses specifically to flout them. I can see this list getting longer in the near future 🤨

Last edited:

Captainmouse

VIP Member
It was on the news this morning they named 4, the only name I remembered was Chloe ferry. But then I don’t have Fb insta, Snapchat, tiktok etc so have no clue who any of them are

Pinkii

VIP Member
Ok great name and shame them but what is the outcome!? Are they going to fine them? or what?

we’re all aware of this, but they need consequences imo, the general public don’t really care if its labelled as an ad, these influencers need to be hit where it hurts- their pockets.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Magee

VIP Member
It was on the news this morning they named 4, the only name I remembered was Chloe ferry. But then I don’t have Fb insta, Snapchat, tiktok etc so have no clue who any of them are
So true - half will be Z listers desperate to make money whilst they can, without care or consideration on what they promote. Thought it was pretty harsh to highlight just 4 names when there are 118 others who are just as bad!

mindlessness

VIP Member
I am so happy about this. I hate hate hate how shitty influencers are about declaring ads, gifts and brand links (i.e own the brand etc).

https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html This is where to report influencers in the UK by the way.

https://www.asa.org.uk/codes-and-rulings/rulings.html and this is where previous rulings appear.

HINCH better be on this list.

Are Americans governed by the same rules as the ASA? There's one I follow and she never ever ever declared them as Ads when they are 5 or 6 stories long and 100 percent and ad.
There are FTC rules for US influencers too: https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/disclosures-101-social-media-influencers

Last edited:

BigMavis

VIP Member
Like fair enough these four influencers get named, but what about the rest? These are big names but I'm seeing local, small time influencers constantly at it. They make their revenue the same way but because they won't make headlines they don't get a mention. Already today I've seen stories selling me hair straighteners and lazer hair removal, companies are tagged with a lovely swipe up and/or discount code but no big flashing sign that reads this is an advert. Its just girls I'm using this or I've just had and I love it. The followers think the influencers are doing them a favour so absolutely won't report. I don't know what the solution is though.

• Heart

Cooksie

VIP Member
Chloe isn't into selling products, she recommends surgeons and going by the comments under the posts those who listen don't have a good outcome. She also heavily pushes online trading, its always some friend of hers and definitely not an ad 🙄 But poor Chloe didn't know the rules and ignored correspondence from ASA because she thought it was a scam..
Any normal person who gets a scam, for example if I got a text off Lloyds I was unsure of, would literally close the text, phone Lloyds directly and ask if they have tried to contact or if it’s a scam. Maybe you would ignore one letter but once you got the second you would check! Stupid excuse!

• Haha
Reactions: 2