Are influencers becoming redundant?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Over it - the most successfull ones are just carbon-copies of each other. I'd never been that influenced before and recently was and got scammed - lesson learned.

Reactions: 11
I think so, and they’ve ruined themselves. Like others have said, they’ve basically turned IG/YouTube into shopping websites. The original appeal was that they weren’t celebrities, and they weren’t being paid to advertise, they were just ordinary people sharing their lives and passions. Now they’re all fake as duck and touting the same old shite. I actually feel like I’ve grown immune to certain #ads because I’ve heard it all before and the little rebel in me doesn’t want to fall for it

I hate YouTube sponsorships in particular, especially when they’re unrelated to the content or when the video has been made to fit the ad, ruining it entirely. Nothing worse than watching a video just to hear “before we get into that, XYZ are kindly sponsoring this video, blah blah blah, they’re giving you guys 15% off with this code” :rolleyes: no thanks!

I think some influencers will survive, the really popular ones and the ones who aren’t blatantly sell outs. But hopefully the bulk of them will become redundant

• Heart
Reactions: 12
We need to stop calling them influencer. The word has a gentle, softly softly connotation.
It’s like they are just telling you about this product and it’s up to you to decide if you fancy buying it, they are simply putting a little idea in your head..influencing you.

We need to call them salespeople. That’s what they are, they are selling and they are on commission for everything and more that you buy.

Am I over sales people on Instagram, pretending to by my mate...yes I am.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Susie Verill was pretty bad before she had her old hateful tweets outed. Every other grid post was an ad.

When I can tell you're desperate and are taking any sponsorship, I don't believe anything you say. She did one for Pandora which is so not her style.

Reactions: 2
I don't mind seeing an ad if it suits them and you can see them actually using it. It's the ones where you think wtf are you advertising that for you would never wear or use that in real life

Reactions: 1
I think they're over, or are close to being over. People are sick of being sold at all the time, and now that a) businesses have less money and b) a lot of people have lost their jobs, I don't think it'll be the same in future.
I don’t think so either and all that lot on YouTube like Lydia, Victoria, Josie ect. I think they’re done now that they've got their houses, they’ll have a baby and that’s them done and dusted. No one will give a toss after they’re thirty with kids.

It’s all about the new generation of wannabe efame munchkins who want to dethrone Kylie Jenner and be the next bunch of “it” girls. It’s always happening now and all these crappy market tat brands like PLT and Missguided are looking more at these girls to use and flog their crap. But it depends on the shift in style too. The only reason PLT, Missguided, I saw it first and Boohoo, Miss also or In the style ever did well was because the asian male owners hopped on the Kardashian bandwagon when it first came out, when that camel nude style went viral and they got cheap knock offs from China and started up sites, selling that look to young girls. But the majority are my age now and are nearing thirty.

So the next wave or fame hungry fuckers are due and god help what they’ll be. A lot of the younger ones are into eco, sustainability and vegan everything. But we all know they’ll still be made in China or India anyway - they’ll just claim they’re eco for show and the trend.

I think Instagram and YouTube will remain but I have a feeling another platform (not Tiktok) but something else will come forth soon.

We’ve had the MySpace era, we’re nearly done with the instagram era of tragic sex doll clones. So something is coming and I fear it’ll be more melodramatic and overly vain as what’s on the go now. Generation X claim to be the best since they’re all for the new age rights but they’re the whiniest and laziest in my opinion.

And I think marketing will shift in another direction using these bastards too when the time comes and they’ll earn even more money. Eventually jobs will all be online based. Holograms are coming soon I’ve heard.

I’m telling you. We’re being replaced with AIs.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the new new influencers in another ten years will film themselves on 3d hologram devices and just program their fake virtual selves to do things so that their actual selves don’t ever have to work. So they’ll earn and do duck all. Tin hat theory but I can see it happening.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I use them now in the same way I go online shopping and change the filter to “new in” they just make me aware of new releases but I wouldn’t allow myself to purchase them just on their sales patter, like I could have done a few years ago, I check it out further myself first

Reactions: 4
I'm mainly over the whole influencer thing, and can't remember the last time i bought something from a 'big name'. However as a POC with curly hair I do follow every similar women and am interested to see how they care for their hair, skin, etc. as many brands in most supermarkets near where I live just don't cater to me at all. So in that case if i see someone i rate advertise something i'll do my own research on it and maybe use their code. But a lot of these women have around 100-150k followers, so don't feature on these threads.

Reactions: 8
I think so! Apart from if you follow some niche people for a specific interest.

It just feels like the same people get gifted the same products. Once I see three or four influencers receive the same item, or do the same ad, there’s no way I would buy the same thing full price! I’d just feel like a mug.

As an example, it’s clear so many Essex influencers have some sort of partnership with a guy who designs Howdens kitchens. I would go out of my way not to use them if I needed a kitchen, because of their connection to Instagram celebs.

Reactions: 6
I think so! Apart from if you follow some niche people for a specific interest.

It just feels like the same people get gifted the same products. Once I see three or four influencers receive the same item, or do the same ad, there’s no way I would buy the same thing full price! I’d just feel like a mug.

As an example, it’s clear so many Essex influencers have some sort of partnership with a guy who designs Howdens kitchens. I would go out of my way not to use them if I needed a kitchen, because of their connection to Instagram celebs.
I’m the same. Once HelloFresh started popping up on all the influencers’ feeds I didn’t want to get it, same with missoma.

Reactions: 2
I actively won’t buy products gifted to influencers now. I find the mummy influencers the worst. I was recently in the market for a double pram and noticed 2 particular brands influencers were suddenly swearing by, contradicting what they previously said. I was going to buy one of those brands but got something different. I also will not pay full price for hello fresh. These companies need to know they are cheapening their products.

I'm mainly over the whole influencer thing, and can't remember the last time i bought something from a 'big name'. However as a POC with curly hair I do follow every similar women and am interested to see how they care for their hair, skin, etc. as many brands in most supermarkets near where I live just don't cater to me at all. So in that case if i see someone i rate advertise something i'll do my own research on it and maybe use their code. But a lot of these women have around 100-150k followers, so don't feature on these threads.
There are some good ones out there still that highlight brands or tricks I otherwise wouldn’t have known about. I also like the ones who say what they think and don’t care if they drop followers. Sadly these are becoming a rare breed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
This - I think there’s a difference between actively following influencers for a purpose and being able to pick and choose which content (and advertising) is beneficial, and when influencers try to cover all bases and markets, that’s when the advertising becomes insidious and unrelated to the accounts original content (eg mrs Hinch with her weaning ‘journey’ or the ‘little ole me’ act when gifted with thousands of pounds of freebies).

I can’t say I’ve consciously bought stuff on the recommendation of an influencer (apart from a minky which I shortly after replaced with a cheaper version) but like all advertising I’ve probably been sucked in for some stuff.

Off the top of my head I’d now avoid carpet right due to their ‘kindly gifting’ Hinch with flooring and would avoid sweaty Betty because of their links to the bone bloody idle Mrs Meldrum.

I actually find it more fun to discover products myself by just chancing buying something that may be good.
I have come to my own realisation that the 3 quid primark tan is the best one for me, huda beauty eyelashes are my favourite and I’m obsessed with colourpop cosmetics I collect their products. I never heard any influencer ever talk about these products and some off them beauty is supposed to be their full time job mine is just a hobby.
the way I see it there is about one percent of them that have the originality, personality and work ethic to stay in the game long haul. But most just see the easy money and are willing to sell their souls to get it no shame to them. These are the whingers and criers that can’t handle critism. I’m done with bperfect products and it’s a shame because being Irish I was so excited to support them but they gift all the wrong people.

Reactions: 3
I don't even acknowledge the existence of influencers in the first place. :oops:

• Heart
After lurking on tattle for a year I am now 100% unable to be influenced by the instamums 💪🏼
So many brands gift things to these women and never offer any benefit to their followers, just feeling tit about themselves for not being able to afford the same lifestyle.
It all has to end. But I’m happy to follow brands I like and loads of smaller accounts for inspiration.

• Heart
It has the opposite effect on me, I am completely put off any product that an influencer has been gifted. I'd rather have recommendations from friends and family - and threads on forums where people have tried various things that they now love. No hidden agenda.

Reactions: 5
It has the opposite effect on me, I am completely put off any product that an influencer has been gifted. I'd rather have recommendations from friends and family - and threads on forums where people have tried various things that they now love. No hidden agenda.
Me too. I don’t want to be like the masses , I’d rather be influenced by WHICH magazine!