Application for internal role - "courteous protocol"

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all,

I'm a bit on the fence as to how I should proceed.

I found an internal role I'm perfectly qualified for (as in, I tick all the boxes). The role was posted yesterday and I started my application.

The policy states you should inform your manager of "your search before you receive a formal an offer".

My manager is OOO at the moment, so in any case, I will probably apply before informing them. My worries are:
  • People are leaving the team for internal roles, but they have no problem replacing them. My issue is our local team is small (only 3 of us) and it might be an issue when trying to move (as in, they won't have anyone to cover).
  • If I get rejected, the manager will think I'll try to move externally instead, but it's not the case. It's just the prospective role is really interesting and something I've been meaning to pursue for ages (plus, it's an upwards move which would bring me back to an acceptable level for my years of experience).
  • I'm worried they might use this against me to get rid of me if I don't get the role (not probable, but I'm paranoid)
The company is huge on internal mobility and they promoted this every day. Tons of people have left our team for an internal pursuit, but I'm worried.

What would be the best course of action?

Go for it ! Send your manager an FYI email which they will receive when they get back but don’t let anxiety , guilt etc get in the way of your perusing your dream role :)

be honest I’m sure if your manager is a decent human they will cheer you on !

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My advice is speak to your manager as soon as you can to let them know you have applied and tell them exactly what you said about why you applied. Be clear it’s cos this role interests you and you don’t know if it would come up again and it’s not that you want to leave the company.

I’ve been in recruitment for 9 years and it’s better to be honest as much as you can be. Also in some companies news can travel fast and from routes you wouldn’t think about so it’s better to hear from you than running the risk it comes from someone else!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
You should send an email, apply and then make sure to make a call to your manager once their back. You can explain you’re happy in your current role and don’t have any intention of moving out of the company but you thought it would be a good opportunity to develop your skills!

Backfilling people is time and money consuming so they would not just want to get rid of you because you applied for an internal role. Don’t worry

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Thank you @disneys , @Autumnleaves123 , @CatVonMe ! Really appreciate the advice!

Yes, I think I will apply and will ask for a catch-up call with my manager when they get back.

My current role is also changing in the sense that they're now integrating a new team which will handle a portion of our current responsibilities. We'll only be left with the "menial" tasks starting next month. It's part of the reason why I want to move on, but it's obviously not the reason I'll use when speaking to the manager.

I've only been with the company for about a year and a half, but some people moved on from the team after one year sharp. I don't think it's particularly frowned upon. A bit nerve wracking nonetheless.

Reactions: 1
I think you sound completely professional in your reasoning, and sounds like your organisation has a good culture for change as well. I wouldn’t worry just be honest with your manager, always better to come from you 😊

• Heart
Thing is if your manager knows there is change coming they probably won’t be surprised but also wouldn’t encourage you to apply and lose you.
Good luck!

• Heart
A good manager would encourage you to pursue something that makes you happy- whether that’s internally or externally. Happy employee = better work. Have an informal chat with them once they are back and just say how you’ve applied for the internal role because xyz. You never know they might be able to help you out in terms of introductions or making your application stronger.
I used to torture myself with feelings of being replaceable and whatnot and it took a lot of work but eventually I realised a lot of people feel like this and although its not a comfortable thought, everyone is replaceable in workplaces.

• Heart
Thing is if your manager knows there is change coming they probably won’t be surprised but also wouldn’t encourage you to apply and lose you.
Good luck!
I would understand this perspective as well. However, as a manager, they should expect that a change where the impacted employees have no say is certainly going to push some to look elsewhere. We signed up for a specific role when we applied and now it's changing to a significant degree. Although I understand the logic behind the transformation of the operating model, it's still unfair to expect employees to stick around.

I think I will apply first and let them know once I've applied. They've always been vocal about internal mobility, but with the upcoming changes and the amount of turnover, I wouldn't be surprised if me applying internally isn't to their liking.

Just remember that you need to do what’s right for you and and harsh as it sounds don’t worry about loyalty too much cos we all know business can be brutal and they could easily make a decision to make you redundant.
Never burn bridges and always stay professional but look after yourself 🙂

Hi all,

I'm a bit on the fence as to how I should proceed.

I found an internal role I'm perfectly qualified for (as in, I tick all the boxes). The role was posted yesterday and I started my application.

The policy states you should inform your manager of "your search before you receive a formal an offer".

My manager is OOO at the moment, so in any case, I will probably apply before informing them. My worries are:
  • People are leaving the team for internal roles, but they have no problem replacing them. My issue is our local team is small (only 3 of us) and it might be an issue when trying to move (as in, they won't have anyone to cover).
  • If I get rejected, the manager will think I'll try to move externally instead, but it's not the case. It's just the prospective role is really interesting and something I've been meaning to pursue for ages (plus, it's an upwards move which would bring me back to an acceptable level for my years of experience).
  • I'm worried they might use this against me to get rid of me if I don't get the role (not probable, but I'm paranoid)
The company is huge on internal mobility and they promoted this every day. Tons of people have left our team for an internal pursuit, but I'm worried.

What would be the best course of action?
I think you’re over thinking it!

I’m on my 7th internal move at my company. People move jobs all the time, internally and externally.

If you get an offer, your manager can’t say no I don’t think especially if it’s a permanent job. I’ve experience a long notice period as it’s an internal move, I think my last one was 3 months so they could replace me but I gradually picked up a few bits and pieces from my new job during that time.

people apply for new jobs all the time, I’d bet that other people on your team now have before that you probably aren’t aware of

and, legally, they cannot Hold it against you (and wouldn’t anyway)

Go for it, good luck! You’ve nothing to lose and everything to gain

• Heart
I think you’re over thinking it!

I’m on my 7th internal move at my company. People move jobs all the time, internally and externally.

If you get an offer, your manager can’t say no I don’t think especially if it’s a permanent job. I’ve experience a long notice period as it’s an internal move, I think my last one was 3 months so they could replace me but I gradually picked up a few bits and pieces from my new job during that time.

people apply for new jobs all the time, I’d bet that other people on your team now have before that you probably aren’t aware of

and, legally, they cannot Hold it against you (and wouldn’t anyway)

Go for it, good luck! You’ve nothing to lose and everything to gain
Thank you.

Yes, I'm certainly overthinking this. In a previous company, managers would literally block people's internal moves or if the individual got to the offer stage, they make a big drama about it. I was approached for the exact same role (different grade) as the one I'm about to apply to in this previous company and then HR disappeared into thin air. That's why I am a bit cautious, but every company operates differently.