Anyone else get triggered when in a confrontation (large or small?)

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just wondering if this happens to anyone else, but whenever I'm in a confrontation especially with my boyfriend (even when it's something small like not putting a hanger where he told me to put it) I get a spike of anxiety and I run find a room to hide in privately because I know I'll start to cry...

And before you ask I grew up with a scary, aggressive, domineering father (would see him and my sister come to physical blows when I was younger) and I cut off all contact with him cause of his toxicity.

Reactions: 2
My Mum is having therapy for ‘emotional flashbacks’ - when she was a kid she lived with alcoholics so whenever people drink around her she thinks something bad will happen i.e someone will fall & hurt themselves, or people will get into a fight, even when it’s a group of people who all love each other, if we get too merry she has to leave.

For her it’s a form of PTSD, her body & mind has made her hyper sensitive to certain situations because of the stuff that’s happened in the past. I’m not saying you have PTSD or trying to diagnose you in anyway but it sounds like an extreme emotional response you’re having so it might be worth looking in to whether something similar is happening with you. Above all be kind to yourself and don’t be ashamed of getting upset x

My Mum is having therapy for ‘emotional flashbacks’ - when she was a kid she lived with alcoholics so whenever people drink around her she thinks something bad will happen i.e someone will fall & hurt themselves, or people will get into a fight, even when it’s a group of people who all love each other, if we get too merry she has to leave.

For her it’s a form of PTSD, her body & mind has made her hyper sensitive to certain situations because of the stuff that’s happened in the past. I’m not saying you have PTSD or trying to diagnose you in anyway but it sounds like an extreme emotional response you’re having so it might be worth looking in to whether something similar is happening with you. Above all be kind to yourself and don’t be ashamed of getting upset x
Thanks for replying I'll definitely look into it. I just hate it because a part of my brain knows it's no big deal, but just a raised voice can freak me out... anyways makes me feel better to know this kind of thing happens to others :)

Reactions: 3
Yes, I struggled a lot at school because of this. My dadd the same as yours

Just wondering if this happens to anyone else, but whenever I'm in a confrontation especially with my boyfriend (even when it's something small like not putting a hanger where he told me to put it) I get a spike of anxiety and I run find a room to hide in privately because I know I'll start to cry...

And before you ask I grew up with a scary, aggressive, domineering father (would see him and my sister come to physical blows when I was younger) and I cut off all contact with him cause of his toxicity.
Same here, you are definitely not alone. With time and some therapy it does get better, though. Go easy on yourself and if you feel up to it, talk to your boyfriend about it. Understanding partner can be really helpful in these situations. xx

Same here, you are definitely not alone. With time and some therapy it does get better, though. Go easy on yourself and if you feel up to it, talk to your boyfriend about it. Understanding partner can be really helpful in these situations. xx
thanks for the support, honestly no one close to me gets it. I've started to talk to my bf about it but it's not easy

Yes, I struggled a lot at school because of this. My dadd the same as yours
Are you still in contact with him? I'm personally doing better in school then I ever have before.

Reactions: 1
Yes, I can’t handle confrontation, I start to get tearful quickly. Mine is for different reasons- I suffer with anxiety and have low self esteem and I think during confrontation I take a lot of what’s being said too personally and as an attack on me and sometimes I start to cry out of sheer frustration. It sucks, especially at work.
You’re definitely not alone in this, it happens to a lot of people for different reasons, go easy on yourself. I hope your boyfriend is understanding when you talk to him about it xx

Reactions: 1