Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have one colleague and she genuinely eats for a family of 8. She will sit there eating all day, 2 breakfasts, share bags of crisps, entire pack of biscuits, sweets, chocolates, pastries you name it! I have honestly never seen someone eat so bleeping much it drives me up the wall hearing her open yet another big share pack of tangfastics before 10am.

and then she makes fat jokes all day to the point where it is genuinely so irritating. God forbid someone looks good in the office before she makes a comment about how fat she is and doesn’t understand why people make the effort for work. Like please 😫😫😫 just eat in peace.

she’s just one of those people who love to be the centre of attention as the class clown at all times. She has made it very clear she doesn’t like young people (me sitting next to her in my early 20’s), forever going on about her dads money and how she gets funded by him for everything, literally the entire office knows she’s getting her nans house once she’s dead?! Also extremely crude to the point where it’s not even funny, we sit across from hr in the office and she was shouting about letting a man shag her in the back door and listening men that she would let ‘pin her down and choke her’ 🤣🤣🤣🤦🏼‍♀️ so bloody embarrassing

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
My work place was hybrid before the pandemic and it's now evolved to a "come in if you need to" type place. At any time there is about 40% of the office in. My team mostly WFH the whole time. 2 people in our team have started moaning saying we should all go in one day a week to connect and because they want some routine and they want to see the team.
Errr I don't want to see you so why are you trying to force me to come in? If you want to go in for your own reasons go in and sit with the 40% I don't see why I have to just to make them feel better. I'm okay. I'm connected. 🙄

• Sad
Reactions: 23
There’s this one dirty bastard that I work with and he farts ALL. THE. TIME. He doesn’t even attempt to be discreet about it, or move away from people before he lets rip. It’s absolutely vile, and it smells like an animal carcass that’s been decomposing for a week in the sun. It makes me sick to my stomach knowing me and my work colleagues are breathing in his tit particles. I actually think he‘a some sort of unhinged sexual predator that gets off knowing that we are all inhaling gas that he’s released from his anus. And the worst of it is, he doesn’t even excuse himself or apologise!

• Sick
Reactions: 18
There’s this one dirty bastard that I work with and he farts ALL. THE. TIME. He doesn’t even attempt to be discreet about it, or move away from people before he lets rip. It’s absolutely vile, and it smells like an animal carcass that’s been decomposing for a week in the sun. It makes me sick to my stomach knowing me and my work colleagues are breathing in his tit particles. I actually think he‘a some sort of unhinged sexual predator that gets off knowing that we are all inhaling gas that he’s released from his anus. And the worst of it is, he doesn’t even excuse himself or apologise!
He needs to be taken down the disciplinary route for that. I’m serious. I had a member of staff that stunk once and the rest of the team complained to me. I was dreading speaking to her about it so asked HR for advice. They said to speak in private with them and make it clear you don’t expect it to happen again. If it does then it’s a warning…etc

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I'm dreading work tomorrow. I'm a teacher and cannot stand my TA. She's a complete gossip. I have asked her to stop but she continues... I work in a difficult school where I am always vigilant that a pupil can disclose something to me at any time. If a pupil does start to talk she is straight over to try and join the conversation (because she is nosey) which to a pupil may mean they completely shut down. I said to her once in a kind voice 'me and X are just having a little chat but we'll let you know we're finished ' and she got all passive aggressive saying that she knows when she's not wanted and then told the rest of the staff how rude I am.

She interrupts my lessons constantly. I could be stood at the front teaching and she'll approach me from behind and whisper in my ear (I don't like her being that close to me either) that a child isn't listening or that a child has nits. It completely throws me off my teaching and interrupts the flow. If I am trying to mark she is chatting away about other staff members and telling me things that she probably shouldn't. Complaining that other TAs leave her out etc.

I had a dental procedure last week and came to school straight after and other staff were checking I was OK etc. She hated the fact that people were asking if I was ok so started crying saying she had an awful headache. Ive asked her to start sticking some sheets in whilst im teaching phonics as they need to be stuck in and this is a time she goes off to the kitchen staff for a gossip. She's not happy about that so has been sticking them in all wonky on purpose.

I have spoken to her about all of this. I approach it calmly but I don't get 2 sentences out before she runs off crying.

She also volunteers to do lunch duty and then complains to everyone that she has had to do lunch.

Everything sounds petty but it's like death by 1000 cuts. Shame because I've always treated my TAs with respect and been aware that they are underpaid and over worked. But in this case she gets paid to gossip and tittle tattle. She is the only TA I have ever worked with who doesn't enjoy the children or make them a priority. She puts her gossip and games as a priority over the pupils.

She keeps saying how wonderful it was when she was a TA in the reception class compared to now.

I have spoken to the Head who basically said she knows and that's why no other teacher wants to work with her!

I know that this is all very petty. Maybe I just need to learn to be more tolerant. I have my own struggles and am struggling with my eating disorder reappearing at the moment so maybe I'm just being more irritable.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
The current shagging in the first aid room is driving me up the wall as I’m the first aider… and I wouldn’t mind a bit

• Haha
Reactions: 10
My work place was hybrid before the pandemic and it's now evolved to a "come in if you need to" type place. At any time there is about 40% of the office in. My team mostly WFH the whole time. 2 people in our team have started moaning saying we should all go in one day a week to connect and because they want some routine and they want to see the team.
Errr I don't want to see you so why are you trying to force me to come in? If you want to go in for your own reasons go in and sit with the 40% I don't see why I have to just to make them feel better. I'm okay. I'm connected. 🙄
I fully concur with this. My place is 3 days a week mandated... most people do that or more. I'm handing in my notice soon so it's kind of moot, but I feel absolutely run ragged when trying to do the 3 days as I find my colleagues quite exhausting to be around. It's a high-anxiety atmosphere (all self manufactured, no reason for it) and that's bad enough. But there isn't even room for everyone to sit together in the office, so it means going into the office is largely for presenteeism.

I'm dreading work tomorrow. I'm a teacher and cannot stand my TA. She's a complete gossip. I have asked her to stop but she continues... I work in a difficult school where I am always vigilant that a pupil can disclose something to me at any time. If a pupil does start to talk she is straight over to try and join the conversation (because she is nosey) which to a pupil may mean they completely shut down. I said to her once in a kind voice 'me and X are just having a little chat but we'll let you know we're finished ' and she got all passive aggressive saying that she knows when she's not wanted and then told the rest of the staff how rude I am.

She interrupts my lessons constantly. I could be stood at the front teaching and she'll approach me from behind and whisper in my ear (I don't like her being that close to me either) that a child isn't listening or that a child has nits. It completely throws me off my teaching and interrupts the flow. If I am trying to mark she is chatting away about other staff members and telling me things that she probably shouldn't. Complaining that other TAs leave her out etc.

I had a dental procedure last week and came to school straight after and other staff were checking I was OK etc. She hated the fact that people were asking if I was ok so started crying saying she had an awful headache. Ive asked her to start sticking some sheets in whilst im teaching phonics as they need to be stuck in and this is a time she goes off to the kitchen staff for a gossip. She's not happy about that so has been sticking them in all wonky on purpose.

I have spoken to her about all of this. I approach it calmly but I don't get 2 sentences out before she runs off crying.

She also volunteers to do lunch duty and then complains to everyone that she has had to do lunch.

Everything sounds petty but it's like death by 1000 cuts. Shame because I've always treated my TAs with respect and been aware that they are underpaid and over worked. But in this case she gets paid to gossip and tittle tattle. She is the only TA I have ever worked with who doesn't enjoy the children or make them a priority. She puts her gossip and games as a priority over the pupils.

She keeps saying how wonderful it was when she was a TA in the reception class compared to now.

I have spoken to the Head who basically said she knows and that's why no other teacher wants to work with her!

I know that this is all very petty. Maybe I just need to learn to be more tolerant. I have my own struggles and am struggling with my eating disorder reappearing at the moment so maybe I'm just being more irritable.
I'm sorry that all sounds exasperating.

I don't think it's good enough for the head to say she's aware and that nobody wants to work with her. You're now stuck with her and it's clearly having an impact on your enjoyment of your job and the children learning. Not to mention an impact on your health.

Could you speak to the head again? It sounds as though you've been far more tolerant and accepting/accommodating that the other staff. It wouldn't be unreasonable to raise the concerns you have mentioned here even if you don't feel able to talk about your own health issues, though it's good that you are taking those seriously (and I'm so sorry to hear -do you feel able to access the support you need?)

• Heart
Reactions: 6
If he’s not discreet about his farts I’d not be discreet about spraying an air freshener every time he does it, in his direction.

What a disgusting inconsiderate twit.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 15

You are the teacher, my love, not the TA. You have taken all the correct steps so far - spoken to her and to the Head who is aware of her "antics". You do NOT need to be more tolerant of her at all.

Next time, whatever she is doing wrong, you must stop her in her tracks and talk to her, then mention it again to the Head. Tell the Head that you have tolerated as much as you can, and would rather not have a TA at all, than to have her approach to the job, which she clearly is unable to perform.

Good luck, persevere, and enjoy teaching those who need you.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I fully concur with this. My place is 3 days a week mandated... most people do that or more. I'm handing in my notice soon so it's kind of moot, but I feel absolutely run ragged when trying to do the 3 days as I find my colleagues quite exhausting to be around. It's a high-anxiety atmosphere (all self manufactured, no reason for it) and that's bad enough. But there isn't even room for everyone to sit together in the office, so it means going into the office is largely for presenteeism.

I'm sorry that all sounds exasperating.

I don't think it's good enough for the head to say she's aware and that nobody wants to work with her. You're now stuck with her and it's clearly having an impact on your enjoyment of your job and the children learning. Not to mention an impact on your health.

Could you speak to the head again? It sounds as though you've been far more tolerant and accepting/accommodating that the other staff. It wouldn't be unreasonable to raise the concerns you have mentioned here even if you don't feel able to talk about your own health issues, though it's good that you are taking those seriously (and I'm so sorry to hear -do you feel able to access the support you need?)
Thanks I will speak to the head again. I feel like I'm almost gaslighting myself to believe I'm being impatient and intolerant. I'm having counselling at the moment but ive told my counsellor that I'm not talking about food at the moment as I can panic that they'll make me eat more.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Thanks I will speak to the head again. I feel like I'm almost gaslighting myself to believe I'm being impatient and intolerant. I'm having counselling at the moment but ive told my counsellor that I'm not talking about food at the moment as I can panic that they'll make me eat more.
You're doing all the right things, and I hope the head offers more practical support. Glad you are speaking to a counsellor too.

Btw love the user name, Rodders!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I have one colleague and she genuinely eats for a family of 8. She will sit there eating all day, 2 breakfasts, share bags of crisps, entire pack of biscuits, sweets, chocolates, pastries you name it! I have honestly never seen someone eat so bleeping much it drives me up the wall hearing her open yet another big share pack of tangfastics before 10am.

and then she makes fat jokes all day to the point where it is genuinely so irritating. God forbid someone looks good in the office before she makes a comment about how fat she is and doesn’t understand why people make the effort for work. Like please 😫😫😫 just eat in peace.

she’s just one of those people who love to be the centre of attention as the class clown at all times. She has made it very clear she doesn’t like young people (me sitting next to her in my early 20’s), forever going on about her dads money and how she gets funded by him for everything, literally the entire office knows she’s getting her nans house once she’s dead?! Also extremely crude to the point where it’s not even funny, we sit across from hr in the office and she was shouting about letting a man shag her in the back door and listening men that she would let ‘pin her down and choke her’ 🤣🤣🤣🤦🏼‍♀️ so bloody embarrassing
I get that people have insecurities etc but I can't stand when it's projected onto unwilling participants in the office e.g. skinny shaming other colleagues just because you want to be thinner etc. I have a colleague that bangs on about Slimming World and calorie counting and announces that she thinks it's time for one of her approved snacks, then she recommends it out loud to anyone who will listen, then reads out the fat, sugar, protein content etc. Every other day. I mean, she can do Slimming World if she wants but if you so much as get a Kitkat bar out of your bag for your own snack, it's "ooooh I couldn't have one of those anymore"... to the point that people feel guilty eating snacks around her.

If he’s not discreet about his farts I’d not be discreet about spraying an air freshener every time he does it, in his direction.

What a disgusting inconsiderate twit.
Or shout "my god, who keeps doing that?" And fake choking. 😂 (I would, in my head, but might be too chicken in real life)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
@Rodneytrotter - great name btw!

This stood out to me 'I have spoken to the Head who basically said she knows and that's why no other teacher wants to work with her!'

You don't want to work with her either and it's totally unfair of the Head to be essentially making this your issue. I suggest writing down the key points you want to make, and a piece of advice I was given some years ago - find your anger.

And I don't mean for a moment going in smashing things up 😉. But just saying inwardly duck this, a solution needs to be found BY THE HEAD. I'm not putting up with this.
It can help with that horrible, helpless feeling in a difficult situation.

Try to take a step back, jot down what you want to say - be crisp and clear.
'This isn't working' and as said upthread, 'I would prefer to have no TA' etc.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 11
I get that people have insecurities etc but I can't stand when it's projected onto unwilling participants in the office e.g. skinny shaming other colleagues just because you want to be thinner etc. I have a colleague that bangs on about Slimming World and calorie counting and announces that she thinks it's time for one of her approved snacks, then she recommends it out loud to anyone who will listen, then reads out the fat, sugar, protein content etc. Every other day. I mean, she can do Slimming World if she wants but if you so much as get a Kitkat bar out of your bag for your own snack, it's "ooooh I couldn't have one of those anymore"... to the point that people feel guilty eating snacks around her.

Or shout "my god, who keeps doing that?" And fake choking. 😂 (I would, in my head, but might be too chicken in real life)
Years ago i actually did something similar to someone who kept farting i shouted loudly "DEAR tit (NAME) WHAT THE duck IS WRONG WITH YOU, YOUR NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR THAT SMELL IS TERRIBLE, ITS INHUMAN YOU MIGHT BE DYING AND NOT KNOW IT" about 30 people laughing in the canteen at him - never did it again or spoke to me again

Years ago i actually did something similar to someone who kept farting i shouted loudly "DEAR tit (NAME) WHAT THE duck IS WRONG WITH YOU, YOUR NEED TO SEE A DOCTOR THAT SMELL IS TERRIBLE, ITS INHUMAN YOU MIGHT BE DYING AND NOT KNOW IT" about 30 people laughing in the canteen at him - never did it again or spoke to me again
He never did it again?! 😮🤔 That must mean he was purposefully farting rather than holding it in/going to the loo to let them out like a normal person? Or did he get help and it was magically solved quickly?

There does come a point where it becomes a bio hazard for those around you. There's someone who shops at the same time as I do each week in the supermarket. You can tell they are there because you can smell this vinegary BO in the air, like a dense fog. I actually hold my breath. I move to the next aisle, and yep, there they are. I really ought to go at a later time.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
He never did it again?! 😮🤔 That must mean he was purposefully farting rather than holding it in/going to the loo to let them out like a normal person? Or did he get help and it was magically solved quickly?

There does come a point where it becomes a bio hazard for those around you. There's someone who shops at the same time as I do each week in the supermarket. You can tell they are there because you can smell this vinegary BO in the air, like a dense fog. I actually hold my breath. I move to the next aisle, and yep, there they are. I really ought to go at a later time.
I am guessing he went to his GP or realised he was an adult and stopped doing it - i am going for the GP like i said he never spoke with me again

On the (random) topic of vinegary BO. I used to work in a corner shop and this man used to come in every day and dear lord he smelled like he lived underwater with the fish. We eventually figured out it was a mixture of tobacco smoke and the fact that he wore the same jacket every day and got fish & chips with salt and vinegar from the same local takeaway every 2nd night. He’d pack the brown bag into the inside pocket of his jacket which he never washed. We all called him Mr Fishodour.

• Sick
Reactions: 10
Today is my first back since before Christmas - I had a stack of leave owing and January is usually a quiet time, so it was mutually agreeable that I would stay off until now.

Last week, I was asked if I could come because someone walked out and they were in a bit of a jam. I said I couldn't as I had plans (which I did, besides why are they throwing the problem to me when there are other people in the office quite capable of picking up the slack? I will add that I've said "yes" far too many times over the years to this place, including going in on the weekend to check someone has set the alarm properly after they've texted me doubting if they have [I live closest work out of everyone]).

I woke up today feeling nauseous but put it down to first day nerves; turns out I had a lot to be nervous about! Immediately after arriving into the office - I'd only just put my bag away in my cupboard - the GM came over and asked if he could have a word. As I walked through the office and smiled and greeted everyone, I just got frowns and mumbles in return. Very unusual considering our office is usually really friendly and if someone has been away for a while everyone usually gathers around wanting to know how their break was, etc. Once in the GM's office, I was hauled over the coals for letting the team down and losing a major account! Excuse me - but how is YOUR problem suddenly my fault?!

The person who walked out was under a huge amount of pressure and was meant to prepare a presentation for a client but they forgot about it until two days out from when it was meant to be delivered. Apparently they just freaked out and realised they couldn't deliver so walked out. If I had known the extent of the situation I may (or may not) have returned to work earlier. I threw it back to the GM and asked why one of the other team members couldn't do it ... his response was ridiculous - he said he wanted to ease the others into what will be a heavy year ahead. Super-ridiculous considering one of my work friends said things have been really quiet with all her clients so she's been taking extended lunch breaks.

Ugh. This, combined with the "suggestion" that we adopt a four-day working week but our base salaries get reduced to reflect that, just made me question what I'm even doing here. So, I gave my notice and will look for something else! I will happily go and work at one of my co-owned coffee carts for a few months if there's a need. I am going to eventually go and work with some other colleagues who set up in competition, but they're still in the process of getting things set up. This is all going to pan out well though, as I do have a six-month restraint of trade.

My boss started getting all desperate and saying he didn't want me to leave and although it was a major client and I'd made a serious mistake in judgement (!!!) it wasn't the end of the world, and he would be prepared to let me off with a warning which shouldn't impact too much in the scheme of things. Stuff him! How dare he try to make me the scapegoat!

I have given my two weeks' notice and said I'll be working it from home. If he doesn't like that, stuff him!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
'My boss started getting all desperate and saying he didn't want me to leave and although it was a major client and I'd made a serious mistake in judgement (!!!) it wasn't the end of the world, and he would be prepared to let me off with a warning which shouldn't impact too much in the scheme of things. Stuff him! How dare he try to make me the scapegoat!'

@Black.bird WTF - 'a serious mistake in judgement' and being 'let off with a warning' because you continued with your annual leave. Wow 😳! And others were obviously happy to let you be the scapegoat too. Ugh.

Well done you for giving your notice.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.