Annoying partner criticising my driving!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Any tips to deal with this?
I can drive perfectly fine. I'm not particularly confident but I can get from A-B fine. But when we are in the car together he acts like a driving instructor, telling how to turn the wheel, telling me to stop at roundabouts etc etc, sharp intakes of breath for no reason. Basically making me feel like a total learner. It makes me stressed and therefore prone to mistakes rather than actually helping me! I barely go out in the car with him purely because of his behaviour.
I've had my license longer than him which is ironic. Ive brought it up with him and he just says I do the same to him (I don't, I just point out that he drives way too fast at times).
Last night I wanted to stop at the side of the road and kick him out of my car!

Reactions: 5
I have never met a man on earth that doesn't do this. My husband with his comments and reactions to my driving, has pissed me off to the point of me wanting to do an emergency stop in the hope he'll smash his face in and STFU🤣🤣 (I haven't... yet😆) I refuse to drive him now unless it's absolutely necessary! And I won't even consider taking my father in the car - enough said!

Reactions: 9
My partner drives me bleeping insane in the car. He drives 99% of the time. So normaly the 1% of the time when I drive is when hes had a drink. Hes like "WOAH, what that car" "OMG kerb" "Pick a lane then" total head.

He mounted the kerb the other day on a country lane. I was in the passenger side an physically saw him going up it. It wasnt very high at all but he still did it. He said he had just gone over a drain 🙄

Reactions: 6
My ex used to do this to me- I used to actually pull over and threaten to kick him out. The way I see it, if they have a problem with the way you drive then maybe they should have offered to drive .

Reactions: 4
I hate driving in front of people. I think it's a confidence thing, rather than lack of ability cos nothing has ever happened to make me feel like that. My husband always drives when we go anywhere together so I usually drive alone

Reactions: 2
Mine is the exact same, feels like a driving lesson every time. I rarely drive us anywhere, if both of us are going somewhere then he’s the one that usually drives. But when I do, he criticises everything! Woooooaaaa put the brakes on then, watch that kerb, get going then, slow down, radio is too loud etc 😴 he drives for a living so thinks he’s an expert, he drives like a grandad in his own car!

Sorry, no tips for the OP but mine is similar. He's probably not as bad as some of the examples above as most of the time he keeps his mouth shut when I drive, and he is a very good driver. But the thing he does that winds me up is that if I'm driving and asking him for directions (he drives all over the area as part of his job and could rival a taxi driver for his street and route knowledge) he uses that as a green light to tell me when to change gear etc when I only bloody asked him where to turn! He's even been known to mutter "well done" just like a driving instructor when I successfully negotiate a roundabout, when I've only been driving 23 years 😂

• Haha
I love driving and have always been a very confident driver but my husband is exactly the same. He will even say 'the lights have turned red' (whilst I'm slowing down and braking for the red light that I've already noticed). - duck OFF!

I like to point out that when you are a passenger you shouldn't distract the driver, its both rude and dangerous.

Reactions: 6
My husband constantly moans I'm not driving in a high enough gear to be driving economically! Mate I'm driving a 07 Picasso, it's more likely to fall apart than anything else!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
My OH does the exact same! I can be a nervous driver if I’m on a new route or a motorway etc and if he is in the car with me, he makes me even more nervous and stresses me out, criticises me if I make silly mistakes and for the time being, moans at me for NOT speeding and being cautious. I’m literally refusing to drive him anywhere for the time being because it’s not even worth it.

He on the other hand is a terrible, selfish, impatient, irresponsible driver and has the cheek to comment on my driving when I’ve never had a crash, claim, license point or speeding ticket in 7 years! He obviously has experience of all of these.

My only advice is refuse to drive him anywhere!

Reactions: 1
Thank duck my fiance doesn't do this, lol. It was hard a few years ago as we moved to Canada (he's from here) and I didn't have my license. I had to get it, and he would take me out to learn to drive, well that ended up in arguments. Somehow it is harder to be taught something by a spouse, lol. I ended up having driving lessons and they were way better.
Anyway, now that I have my license, when I drive, he barely makes comments, more often he goes on about how much more confident I am which is nice.
If I were you, I would tell him that if he doesn't keep his opinions to himself HE can drive himself places.

Yep, my OH does this too and has recently become even more insufferable since he did an advanced driving course at work, so naturally now he thinks he’s gods gift to driving 🙄😂

I think it’s a male thing - they like to be in control of the car and be the one who drives everywhere!

I think the real test of a relationship is in the car! I'm a terrible passenger driver with my other half! Especially the sharp intake of breath lol, he gets really irritable "I've been driving for 18 years!"

Mine is the same. I can be nervous if I don't know where I am going so i am quite cautious, he is soooooo critical. The amount of times he has said 'woah kurb' and I am nowhere near the damn kurb.
If we go anywhere out of our local town, I make him drive. To be fair, he is a much better driver than me and is bang on with parking. Where as I will circle the carpark for a few spaces together, even though I've been driving 12 years 🤣
Nothing pisses me off more than him criticising my driving though.

Mine is the same. I can be nervous if I don't know where I am going so i am quite cautious, he is soooooo critical. The amount of times he has said 'woah kurb' and I am nowhere near the damn kurb.
If we go anywhere out of our local town, I make him drive. To be fair, he is a much better driver than me and is bang on with parking. Where as I will circle the carpark for a few spaces together, even though I've been driving 12 years 🤣
Nothing pisses me off more than him criticising my driving though.
I'm the same with parking. My partner can see a tiny gap, reverses in with one had on the steering wheel like an absolute pro.

I have to find a spot with another free spot next to it. Never reversed into a space in my life 😂

Reactions: 3
Thank duck my fiance doesn't do this, lol. It was hard a few years ago as we moved to Canada (he's from here) and I didn't have my license. I had to get it, and he would take me out to learn to drive, well that ended up in arguments. Somehow it is harder to be taught something by a spouse, lol. I ended up having driving lessons and they were way better.
Anyway, now that I have my license, when I drive, he barely makes comments, more often he goes on about how much more confident I am which is nice.
If I were you, I would tell him that if he doesn't keep his opinions to himself HE can drive himself places.
This is so lovely. My partner is very complimentary when I’m driving as well and he very much enjoys being passenger. After years of me not being able to drive he loves just relaxing.

I honestly think if he was hyper critical or commenting and nit picking to cause me stress that would be enough for me to end my relationship. I couldn’t be bothered with that level of disrespect.

OP stop the motor next time and give him an ultimatum; walk or be a passenger and shut his mouth (unless alerting to an absolute emergency/danger ahead)

All men must be similar, didn't realise we had so many experts 😂 I just refuse to drive myself places when it's not necessary. And I have this weird thing that I dont like men in the passenger seat and women driving

Ahhh I can relate. I do all the driving as my oh used to live in london so had no need for a car, has passed his test though. On more than one occasion I have pulled over and told him to get out or shut up. He shuts up. Until the next journey. :rolleyes: