Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Pushyplumb

VIP Member
I would hope that times had changed now and people would see Monica as more of a victim than she was at the time. She was a young woman used by the president and then let down by a woman she considered her friend.

Reactions: 8

Cocobaby09

VIP Member
I would hope that times had changed now and people would see Monica as more of a victim than she was at the time. She was a young woman used by the president and then let down by a woman she considered her friend.
She was treated abominably. Imagine being early 20s and the most powerful man on the planet coming on to you.

Reactions: 7

petitspois

VIP Member
I've only seen one so far and thought it was brilliant. She plays Linda Tripp really well, what a piece of work.

Reactions: 6

bubbadabut

VIP Member
Anyone watching this series? Part 3 in the anthology after OJ and Versace, both of which I really enjoyed.

This series is about the whole Bill Clinton/Monica Lewinsky scandal.

A promising start last night. It stars Sarah Paulson (again) and Clive Owen as Clinton. I think Monica is an executive producer, so hopefully it should be quite accurate. Wondering how they will portray some of the more infamous incidents of the affair :ROFLMAO: 🚬👗

Reactions: 5

HowlOwl

VIP Member
I was a little bored by it at first but it does pick up when Linda meets Monica. The hairstyles certainly were big in those days, and as mentioned above, more so in the US. Linda reminds me of secretaries I have known and worked with.

The glimpse of Clive Owen as Clinton at the end looks to be amazing.

Reactions: 5

haveuseenmyfriendbert

Yeah it finished, last week I think. I quite enjoyed all of it but the last few episodes were best so stick in if you can. But I’d def wait until it’s all on iPlayer unless you’re downloading it. I couldn’t have kept up if it had been 1 episode a week. But I could say that about any series tbh probably 😬
I know it’s obvs a dramatisation but remembering back to the news coverage at the time and the odd bit since then, I’m quite shocked at how obviously misogynistic it is. I shouldn’t really be surprised should I? 🙄 For ML to be portrayed as so vindictive and like she seduced this innocent loving family man, is horrific. Yes, she knew he was married and was intimate with him, both physically and emotionally, but she was 21 and was clearly flattered by the attention from someone so powerful. He’s a scumbag. Clive Owen is much better in it than I expected and the lady who plays Hillary is great I’m the last few episodes.

Reactions: 4

Cocobaby09

VIP Member
Yeah it finished, last week I think. I quite enjoyed all of it but the last few episodes were best so stick in if you can. But I’d def wait until it’s all on iPlayer unless you’re downloading it. I couldn’t have kept up if it had been 1 episode a week. But I could say that about any series tbh probably 😬
I know it’s obvs a dramatisation but remembering back to the news coverage at the time and the odd bit since then, I’m quite shocked at how obviously misogynistic it is. I shouldn’t really be surprised should I? 🙄 For ML to be portrayed as so vindictive and like she seduced this innocent loving family man, is horrific. Yes, she knew he was married and was intimate with him, both physically and emotionally, but she was 21 and was clearly flattered by the attention from someone so powerful. He’s a scumbag. Clive Owen is much better in it than I expected and the lady who plays Hillary is great I’m the last few episodes.
Yip. Me and ML are the same age. I couldn’t imagine being in the position she was in at 21, I was incredibly naive and unworldly. The coverage of her was so misogynistic and slut shaming, and Bill got off Scot free in comparison.

Libbylulu

VIP Member
I wish the BBC would have dropped the complete series, I found i was losing interest having to wait weekly.

blueberriesarenice

Anyone still watching this? I think it’s gotten way better the last couple of episodes (just finished ep8)… The woman playing Hilary is great.

SmoochL

Chatty Member
Didn't know there was a thread for this. Finished it last night. I'm too young to remember when this happened, and haven't been reading much about this, so it's been really informative.
Bill, the real culprit passed unscathed. So horrible how the women were the villains in the eyes of the public. Poor Monica, everyone was so terrible to her. Loved the last scene with Monica's panic attack, I really don't know how she survived all that.
At the end, this season was fine, not great. It's a tie with the second season, but the first is still my favourite.

Reactions: 3

bubbadabut

VIP Member
The White House canteen looked incredible. No wonder Linda was bummed out at being moved to the Pentagon.

• Haha

Mustard

VIP Member
Just watched episode 1. I can happily say that I never had a hairstyle in the Nineties like any of the women in that episode. Those hairstyles looked specific to North America to me.

I know this is an old thread but we have just binge watched this series, I had no idea it was on Disney Plus until very recently and hadn't realised it had been shown on TV previously.
I enjoyed it but I think being able to binge watch kept up the momentum. You realise how horribly Monica was treated by just about everyone, even Linda Tripp was to some extent by the media and the comedy shows, yet Clinton managed to skate through it all practically unscathed.

Reactions: 2

Mark81

VIP Member
I know this is an old thread but we have just binge watched this series, I had no idea it was on Disney Plus until very recently and hadn't realised it had been shown on TV previously.
I enjoyed it but I think being able to binge watch kept up the momentum. You realise how horribly Monica was treated by just about everyone, even Linda Tripp was to some extent by the media and the comedy shows, yet Clinton managed to skate through it all practically unscathed.
I agree. I watched Scoop on Netflix about the Prince Andrew interview, and I loved hoe they dropped Clinton's name a few times. He has got away with so much, it's time he got some karma. They also briefly mention Emily's interview with Monica.

We no longer have Netflix so I haven't seen that one unfortunately. It just amazed me that Monica was made out to be the absolute devil of the whole saga yet Clinton was much older than her and in a very powerful position. I remember this happening at the time but I didn't really read into it past the headlines (too busy being young and out enjoying myself lol) but as a parent now I would be so angry if my child was treated like that and disgusted that a man trusted to lead the country would be such a scumbag.