Ali Abdaal

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

"Lesson no. 16 is to be yourself while dating."
Really, Ali? You got that now? I am younger than you and knew that.
No wonder this guy is taking time to find a girlfriend, let alone a wife!

Also, if y'all watch the video, you'd see that most of these lessons are taken from someone else (books/people saying it). Like, okay, books and people are great for inspiration and stuff but I've never seen him have some original idea.
Like, when he is asked, "What do you think about X?"
Him: Well... in the book Y, the author Z says, [insert any quote or idea], so I think, [insert a duplicated version of the same idea].
This video has convinced me he is strongly on the autistic spectrum. No one who isn't, is taking this much advice from self help books, or participating in so many thought experiments and living by so many rules called the 37% rule or the 20/20/20 rule or whatever is from the last book he read.

Reactions: 5
We hear plenty of stuff now and again from Boomers about how we should worship doctors instead of influencers but I think that Ali Abdaal has put me off idolatry all together.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Just found this thread. Probably covered already but he comes across very arrogant and pretentious. Gives me seriously robotic, asexual vibes. Absolutely don't want to shame him or diagnose off the internet but like another person said, it wouldn't be shocking if he was on the Asperger's/Autism spectrum.
At first I couldn't figure out if it was all an elaborate parody or that's his actual personality? Either way I immediately clicked off after a few minutes. His voice is super grating, posh and plummy sounding.
Also what was up with that girl housemate he had? They were always awkwardly joking about being in a relationship but not actually. Was that also a joke?

Anyway I find all these unhealthy, sUpEr pRoDuCtiVe videos from medical YouTubers as a whole very weird. It perpetuates this toxic mentality of: "if you're not spending every second of your life hustling and improving then you're a waste".
I like kharma medic he seems much nicer and down to earth but even he seems a bit too polished and perfect. Like even with a fever he's still being pRoDuCtiVe?
(Maybe I'm just sounding jealous since he has such a seemingly balanced life 😅)

He said in some video a while back that he doesn't actually care about kids dying in Africa and now he contradicts himself while simultaneously taking the moral highground over people who choose not to donate to charity but do charitable work nonetheless.
Omg PLEASE tell me HE DID NOT say that! What is wrong with this robot! 😭😭

Ok edit: I'm reading a bit more on this thread and it sounds like he's some sociopathic incel? Damn here I was thinking he was just a run of the mill arrogant nerd 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
I kinda want him to do a follow up video regarding these 2021 goals?
I am especially interested in the Wife Quest goal LOL

My-PRODUCTIVE-Bucket-List-2021-YouTube.png

My guess:

Writing a Book ❌
The Wife Quest ❌
Six Pack Abs ❌
Busk on the London Underground ❌
Draw Like a Concept Artist ❓ (IDK about this as he never posted his journey that much)
Become a Better Storyteller ❓ (can't rate him on this one as I do not watch his videos religiously anymore)

he seems a bit too polished and perfect. Like even with a fever he's still being pRoDuCtiVe?
(Maybe I'm just sounding jealous since he has such a seemingly balanced life 😅)
I get the polished vibe too but I don't think I will label his life as "balanced."
Dude is obsessed with productivity. In a different way than Ali (he seems to be having a life outside of his work and all), but he is definitely a bit on the obsessive side.

According to me, a good example of well balanced life would be Matt D'avella (at least from the outside).

He said in some video a while back that he doesn't actually care about kids dying in Africa and now he contradicts himself while simultaneously taking the moral highground over people who choose not to donate to charity but do charitable work nonetheless.
Not surprised.
Things that Ali said that made me realise he is devoid of emotions like empathy:
1. He told Jade that he doesn't care much about sustainability, since he doesn't get how one person (him) using plastic cups and straws can have a big impact on the environment.
Yeah, Ali, many people think like that and turn a blind eye to the issues. And that's how they get bigger.
2. A couple of years ago he tweeted about settling in Dubai for sometime, and someone asked if he ever thought that he might be paying to a country that treats women and homosexuals like tit. His answer, "honestly, no."
I get it. He doesn't have to go to the activist route, but really? that's your reply to that tweet? how about being a bit more empathetic? how about not replying at all, if you don't know what to say??
3. He thinks he cannot be a feminist because he is a man. He thinks "ally" is a better word.
Ali, a feminist means anyone who supports " the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes "
You thinking like that only solidifies that negative connotation of feminism. You like Harry Potter, right? Here's a quote from Emma Watson - " “If you stand for equality, then you're a feminist." It doesn't matter what gender you are. If you are supportive of women's right, you should label yourself as a feminist.
I have a feeling he refrained from calling himself because of his audience.

Last edited:
  • Sick
Reactions: 10
Not to white-knight for Ali, but being an ally is good enough, am surprised he's educated about allyship.

Having said that, why is his recent content like, so, err.empty of anything.

Things I learnt from 20 books, 15 books I read, 15 tips from 20 books, 20 books in 15 minutes, like just, bore off already! (Ofcourse I am not going to go over the How Much Money I Made, How Much I spent series!)

Since forming his unicorn of a company and leaving medicine , I thought it'd yield a different channel from him: it's the 2020 Ali stuck indoors talking to his screen. Dull, dull, dull!

He seems to be still reaping benefits from his cambridge brand/med entrance themes, which I can't have an issue with - but he is in serious need of finding something that people would click on than his mug, silly captions and videos that are summarising books into bytes with vocabulary of a sub-literate millenial plugged onto his gaming console: what's with using "his vibe is...", "his whole spiel is..", "it's pretty sick" in every context: it's downright painful when he uses this to summarise a frigging memoir (Westover's Educated). Ironically, he reads a lot!

Reactions: 3
Not to white-knight for Ali, but being an ally is good enough, am surprised he's educated about allyship.
Being an ally is good, but why not call yourself the word that actually exists?
sure, call yourself an LGBTQ+ ally because that's the term used, but the word feminist exists.
His definition was also way off the line: I don't think I can be a feminist if I am not a girl. I think I consider myself an ally. (I am paraphrasing. Pardon my non-eidetic memory.)
Doesn't sound much educated about feminism to me. Also, he does not seem to be up-to-date on world news either. He didn't know about the hijab ban in France, plus many more. For reference, go to Sheen's channel.

That being said, I am pleased that he believes in equality and stuff. So, yeah, I guess I'll cut him some slack.

Ironically, he reads a lot!
Wish he'd update his goodreads for once before plugging it in for follows.

Reactions: 2

He's at it again

So he deleted this tweet just now...even tho it was an interesting thread and he believes in paying people what they're worth. Doubt it tho Ali.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 6

He's at it again

So he deleted this tweet just now...even tho it was an interesting thread and he believes in paying people what they're worth. Doubt it tho Ali.
I side with makadiwata here. i get if the pay is lesser than him. but the gap shouldn't be so huge.
when you rate your hourly pay at $25 and pay someone $5, no matter the country is cheaper or not, Ali, dear, you are exploiting them.

no way he is reading 100 books a year lol. he would have flexed it on Goodreads if he did.

i LOL-ed

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I side with makadiwata here. i get if the pay is lesser than him. but the gap shouldn't be so huge.
when you rate your hourly pay at $25 and pay someone $5, no matter the country is cheaper or not, Ali, dear, you are exploiting them.

no way he is reading 100 books a year lol. he would have flexed it on Goodreads if he did.

i LOL-ed
How about £500 given to the person who gives you a team name that you like, idiot

Reactions: 3
Whatever we may think about Ali, he is the only productivity youtuber who openly admits he does YouTube for the "prestige", easy money and to boost his ego (in addition to his genuine love for teaching and making videos). That's actually refreshing to hear. Let's face it all youtubers are narcissists and love the sound of their own voices, love having an audience who put them on a pedestal and glorifies them, etc. Deep inside they all are deep into the celebrity culture and want to be a "celebrity" (having an audience who admires them endlessly). Not saying that everything else that brings them to the platform is not valid (love of making videos, love for sharing tips etc etc), yet narcissism, ego boost and celebrity status is DEFINITELY there...and none of them admits it besides Ali.
Jade, Ruby, Nasir (kharma medic), Holly Gabrielle, Jack Edwards, Vee etc all act like these perfect polished version of themselves, who happen to make videos for "altruistic reasons only and to help people, etc etc". Sure they do, but let's not pretend they do not love the sound of their own voice and are not addicted to the adrenaline boost of their audiences glorifying them, recognizing them and treating them like ultimate celebrities. Ali at least openly admits all this is part of the reason why he
does YouTube and he does so totally unapologetically. This is refreshing to hear.

Reactions: 1
It's funny to see a Pakistani guy discovering outsourcing and exploiting his mates from Asia.
And yet the most audience he has is from India and Pakistan ;)

Stockholm syndrome.

Reactions: 4
Not to defend Ali Abdaal, but at least he is self-made and admits that he does YouTube for the money
And tbh his money tips have actually helped people
(Unlike the rich tory ed-baiting Roobeee Granger)
Out of all the Studytubers he is probs the most helpful/least problematic

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Not to defend Ali Abdaal, but at least he is self-made and admits that he does YouTube for the money
And tbh his money tips have actually helped people
(Unlike the rich tory ed-baiting Roobeee Granger)
Out of all the Studytubers he is probs the most helpful/least problematic
Except when you find out he’s an incel and under pays his works because they don’t live in the UK so he doesn’t have to pay them minimum wage 🤣🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Except when you find out he’s an incel and under pays his works because they don’t live in the UK so he doesn’t have to pay them minimum wage 🤣🤣
He is unethical and frankly very unkind but let's be real...all his followers follow him for his expertise in money-making and studying, not kindness/romance advice

Ive only just come across this thread and its interesting to see that others see the problems with him that I do. I am a medic and it pains me to see anyone in a position like he is, with such views. I think comes across as classist, snobbish and doesn't make him very likeable. I am sorry to say he is, in my opinion, a prime example of why medical schools and indeed other competitive courses/universities, need to understand that a thousand A*/A grades do not make a rounded candidate; personality, communication and 'people skills' are just as important as one's intellect. It is these skills that cannot always be taught either. I cannot see how In this day and age, someone is a great candidate for medicine when they are devoid of empathy and appear to look down on others. I do not know of his family background in terms of wealth however suspect he comes from privilege and it shows in a very unpleasant way. A little bit of humility wouldn't go amiss.

Reactions: 14
He is unethical and frankly very unkind but let's be real...all his followers follow him for his expertise in money-making and studying, not kindness/romance advice
But should creators who could be damaging (the incel stuff 100% is) be praise just because that isn’t part of their brand? He also doesn’t (and this is my opinion) recognise any of his privilege it’s just this work hard and you’ll get somewhere bollocks

Reactions: 8
Ive only just come across this thread and its interesting to see that others see the problems with him that I do. I am a medic and it pains me to see anyone in a position like he is, with such views. I think comes across as classist, snobbish and doesn't make him very likeable. I am sorry to say he is, in my opinion, a prime example of why medical schools and indeed other competitive courses/universities, need to understand that a thousand A*/A grades do not make a rounded candidate; personality, communication and 'people skills' are just as important as one's intellect. It is these skills that cannot always be taught either.

I cannot see how In this day and age, someone is a great candidate for medicine when they are devoid of empathy and appear to look down on others. I do not know of his family background in terms of wealth however suspect he comes from privilege and it shows in a very unpleasant way. A little bit of humility wouldn't go amiss.
I've always wondered how he passed the interviews for medical school
He is apparently from a middle-class background-- his mum is a doctor, his dad is MIA so he doesn't come from crazy wealth but he has got middle-class/well-educated mother privilege
I don't think he looks down upon anyone but he does seem very lacking in empathy...probably on the spectrum or just very selfish

But should creators who could be damaging (the incel stuff 100% is) be praise just because that isn’t part of their brand? He also doesn’t (and this is my opinion) recognise any of his privilege it’s just this work hard and you’ll get somewhere bollocks
But how should he address his privilege? He did work hard but at the same time, his middle-class upbringing/educated mother allowed him to do so instead of battling mental health issues/looking after family members, being abused by others etc. However, most people in the UK have this stable middle-class upbringing. Only outliers are being abused/living in poverty/extreme privilege/caring for sick parents etc.

I agree with the incel stuff--- he should acknowledge that using incel terminology is degrading to women