Aldi's Next Big Thing - Channel 4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Is anyone watching this or tried any of the winning products? I didn't realise they would be in shops so quickly but we bought the winner of episode two yesterday.

Reactions: 2
Not heard of it but sounds like my kind of show 😆

Sainsbury's had something similar, but it didn't really work. I think the winner was a soup in a bun and didn't make it into stores.

I guess with this they're choosing products that already exist then rolling them out into stores quickly to make the most of the promo

Reactions: 2
Not heard of it but sounds like my kind of show 😆

Sainsbury's had something similar, but it didn't really work. I think the winner was a soup in a bun and didn't make it into stores.

I guess with this they're choosing products that already exist then rolling them out into stores quickly to make the most of the promo
Definitely good promo for them as we wouldn't have bought the product if we didn't see it on the show 😂 saying that though, it will be interesting to see how long the products last in store. Obviously a big seller to start with because of the show but if the product isn't good, people won't continue to buy it. It's a good show though.

I have no plans to repurchase the rum cake. Admittedly I don't normally buy rum cake but I was expecting to like it more considering the buyer described it as the best food that she's ever tasted on the job.

I'm absolutely loving it, I haven't tried any of the products yet but I'm definitely going to pick up episode 2 winner when I see it to see if its as good as they say

Reactions: 1
I enjoyed it, although the concept of the show is pretty flawed as Aldi have such a small range that almost all the products that make it through to being shown have no chance of making it into the store.

There's a huge difference between what will sell at somewhere like whole foods or fortnums Vs Aldi.

I'm sure I bought vegan meringues years ago, so not quite the world's first! Aquafaba was a thing 10 year ago.

I knew who would win after googling (not really a spoiler but will here as it's a quiet thread) and it was obvious watching that it was a one party race. But I wish the Indian french pastries had of won, but knew it wouldn't with all the changes needed. That kind of stuff is perfectly suited to where it is already selling.

I watched both episodes over the weekend and really liked it, gonna see if I can see any of the products when I do my shop in Aldi today.

That Julie Ashfield seems like she wouldn’t take any of your crap as an employee though I’d be scared to work for her on a daily basis, but I guess she has to be that way 🤣

That Julie Ashfield seems like she wouldn’t take any of your crap as an employee though
And that's her putting on her best behaviour for a TV show 😆. Supermarket are cutthroat!

I'm still watching the end of episode 2 and cringing at replacing the Normandy butter with margarine 😬. There's no point in it if you do that!

I shop in Aldi regularly and have never bought cakes or pastries. That kind of thing I have occasionally and wouldn't compromise to having the lower quality ingredients and padding stuff. The whole show should have been done at Waitrose where they wouldn't need to ruin each product in order to bring it to market. After all Aldi is for dupes, not new unique high quality stuff.

Winning the show is hardly life changing - it's a one time order with wafer thin profit margins.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Omg the shite products they had on this week 🤣 me julie wasn't impressed was she
I love camels but there's no way I'm squirting their tit juice on my cornflakes in the mornings 🤨

The rum cake was in our Aldi yesterday, think it was about £5, in a white cardboard box instead of the tin and there was only 1 left in the box out of 6. Friend said the chicken curry pie was in there last week but I have not seen it.

The rum cake was in our Aldi yesterday, think it was about £5, in a white cardboard box instead of the tin and there was only 1 left in the box out of 6. Friend said the chicken curry pie was in there last week but I have not seen it.
I only watched a bit of last nigts episode. Neither product sounded appetising to me
You have reminded me it's Rum truffle time in Lidl though, so I'll have to stay away

• Haha
Out of hundreds of people who apply, I'm not sure why they choose people to appear in the programme who have no chance of producing the quantity required. Someone with about 5 camels clearly isn't going to be able to produce enough so they've wasted a place on show.

Reactions: 5
I’m just watching it omg at the camel people, could tell Julie wasn’t a fan her face said it all. Think they’ve picked the most random people to go on this week lol.
Saw the rum cake in my local Aldi but still didn’t want to justify spending £5 on a cake I might not like, would’ve preferred the pie but guessing everyone’s bought them after seeing it on tv.

Anybody watch the Christmas one last night I really like this show hope it comes back for a new series
The chocolate tit dessert looked good

Anybody watch the Christmas one last night I really like this show hope it comes back for a new series
The chocolate tit dessert looked good
I watched it this afternoon and love these kind of shows. I bought the Billionairs Cheese cake this morning which serves "12" - no way - 8 at a push - but getting the first slice out was dreadful, came out a mess, The pic of it on TV is not the slice I got on my plate

Last edited:
I watched it this afternoon and love these kind of shows. I bought the Billionairs Cheese cake this morning which serves "12" - no way - 8 at a push - but getting the first slice out was dreadful, came out a mess, The pic of it on TV is not the slice I got on my plate
Quote myself - maybe a bit hasty and the first slice was a mess but the ones after have been good when it has been in my fridge all day. Yes 8 slices not 12 but that is like all portion sizes on many products. It is really nice.
Got a 1.3kg gammon and cooked in the Instant Pot electric pressure cooker for 33 mins and left it to come down from pressure on its own - NPR if you have one - and it is perfect.