Ageing hair...I want some swish and shine back

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My hair has always been good hair, never had issues with it. It’s a natural blonde, there was lots of it, when conditioned and straightened, it looked smooth and shiny. But now as I am ageing, the texture has changed (dramatically in last year) and it has become coarser and even when I straighten it, there are bits that are sticking out etc. Only bits of it are smooth.

I also seem to have much less hair, even though I don’t recall it dropping out. It has now got so much darker in the last year, perhaps as a precursor to going grey, but also because since the first lockdown it hasn’t seen a great deal of sunshine, and the sun always lifts it. During lockdown I grew it, and it is now longer than in years, and the lovely hair of yore has gone. Just flapping flanges of coarsening, dark blond, dull and drab.

I am reconciled to going grey and I will have it cut shorter, but what can I do about texture? I see plenty of women with wiry grey hair, but I also see plenty with silky grey hair, which reflects the light and looks swishy and alive. Mine looks half dead.

How can I revive it? Products and techniques please.

The sticking up bits are likely due to the greys, which tend to be more wiry in nature.

A caffeine shampoo will help with some of the issues; shine-promising styling products will also help.

Often a temporary hair dye or toner helps with condition, too.

Reactions: 1
I’ve never had it myself but maybe Kerastraight treatment? Might be worth looking into, I think it’s supposed to be a semi permanent way of making the hair smooth and glossy and resistant to frizz.

Reactions: 2
I colour my hair but have never been aware that my greys are wirey. Aargan oil is the business, expensive bit you don’t need much, couple of drops

Kerastraight treatment will absolutely sort the texture of your hair out, they are pricey but last 6/8 month with good aftercare. The correct shampoo/conditioner from the salon retails at £35 each when any decent sulphate free s&c will do the same job.

My hair has always been good hair, never had issues with it. It’s a natural blonde, there was lots of it, when conditioned and straightened, it looked smooth and shiny. But now as I am ageing, the texture has changed (dramatically in last year) and it has become coarser and even when I straighten it, there are bits that are sticking out etc. Only bits of it are smooth.

I also seem to have much less hair, even though I don’t recall it dropping out. It has now got so much darker in the last year, perhaps as a precursor to going grey, but also because since the first lockdown it hasn’t seen a great deal of sunshine, and the sun always lifts it. During lockdown I grew it, and it is now longer than in years, and the lovely hair of yore has gone. Just flapping flanges of coarsening, dark blond, dull and drab.

I am reconciled to going grey and I will have it cut shorter, but what can I do about texture? I see plenty of women with wiry grey hair, but I also see plenty with silky grey hair, which reflects the light and looks swishy and alive. Mine looks half dead.

How can I revive it? Products and techniques please.
How old are you? Changes in hair like you mention are usually due to fluctuations in hormones.

First off - go and get a good hair cut and conditioning treatment at a salon - explain that you want to get it back to looking full & healthy and let them guide you on what would work best. Don’t be afraid to try something new - your hair has changed so there’s no point in trying to force it to be like it was, you’ll only end up battling with it and it will make you unhappy.

Is your hair naturally curly/wavy? You mention that you straighten it. If you can, I’d stop using heat on it for the time being. Try to embrace the natural wave.

@Gembo @Rocknrolla Never heard of the Kera treatment. Will research that.

@Captainmouse What brand if argan okl do you use?

@BettyCrockerr It will be hormone related. I haven’t been straightening it for about 15 months. But now it is wiry in places I have for the last few washes got the straighteners out because it just looks awful now. I will be having it cut, the flanges are going!

@Gembo @Rocknrolla Never heard of the Kera treatment. Will research that.

@Captainmouse What brand if argan okl do you use?

@BettyCrockerr It will be hormone related. I haven’t been straightening it for about 15 months. But now it is wiry in places I have for the last few washes got the straighteners out because it just looks awful now. I will be having it cut, the flanges are going!
To be honest whatever is on offer either ogx or hairxpertise are my favourites