Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

101d

VIP Member
I got my first ever dog in May, a little black pug :) He's adorbs!

He has slept all the way through from the first night we got him. His first ever toilet at home was on his bed haha. Pugs are notorious for being hard to toilet train, so we made sure to take him out every half hour at first (I took two weeks off and then my partner did). Sounds cliche but eventually it just clicked for him! He hasn't mastered actually asking to go outside yet though, but accidents are very minimal now (he's 8 and a half months old).

I would say invest in chew toys. They will rip cuddly toys apart in days, but a good chew toy will last ages. Kongs will be your best mate.

We had an open-top crate for our puppy. We had been shutting him in there in the day whilst we was at work and whilst he was sleeping. Then after a couple months we let him roam the living room in the day. Now, his crate is no more! He likes sleeping on the sofa at night (even though we bought him an expensive bed...)

He is super naughty at times but the cuteness makes up for it. You'll need to have lots of patience but even more love. Have fun!! :)

spiderpig

I pick up my first puppy tomorrow! He’s a little Bichon Frise, some of these tips are really helpful.

is there any toys/chews that anyone would highly recommend?
A kong, keeps them entertained and helps their teeth :) I use it with my dog every time we leave the house, stops her from realising we have gone x

Orange Creme

VIP Member
Hi all. I'm looking to buy our first family dog next year. We have a loving home with an enclosed garden and lots of country walks on our doorstep.

Although I grew up with dogs and horses I've never actually owned my own puppy. I have looked into rescue centres but generally they dont seem to want to home older dogs with young children (my youngest is 2). So wondered if you have any helpful tips on the first few weeks after bringing puppy home? Also any book recommendations?

Orange Creme

VIP Member
Congratulations! I’ve never been a puppy person (too jumpy and Yappy for me!) but my sister has got a puppy recently a little black Labrador who is, honestly, brilliant. Cried for a few nights but settled in well and doesn’t really have toilet accidents. When my sister is at work she has a baby monitor type thing where she can watch what the puppy is doing and speak to her which she says really Helps both her and puppy - if you’re WFH it’s probably not a big a deal for you but still possible!
You will likely get a bit of the puppy blues and that moment of ‘what have i done‘ but it will pass and I’m sure you’ll have a lifelong pal. Whenever I see my sister’s puppy she has so much love to give - it’s wonderful 🥰
Ah that's lovely to hear 😍 yes I'm actually dreading the blues which are bound to happen so I'm just going to brace myself for it! 😁