Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Where do I actually start with skincare? Has anyone got a good website or tips to help find out skin type etc? I’m desperate to get a proper routine as lately I’ve been flaring up with spots on my chin (chin only) and I’ve got worse skin now than I did as a teen. Any help is much appreciated. I will of course also read through this thread too ♥
I really love watching Cassandra Bankson on youtube. She is an esthetician (sorry ive probably spelt that wrong!!). She really knows her stuff and i have learnt so much from watching her!! I used to have a really long and complex skincare routine, but thanks to her i have learnt that you dont need to use loads to have nice skin and my skincare routine is now minimal- i literally use 2 or 3 products now and my skin is the best it has ever been. :)

Reactions: 3
I really love watching Cassandra Bankson on youtube. She is an esthetician (sorry ive probably spelt that wrong!!). She really knows her stuff and i have learnt so much from watching her!! I used to have a really long and complex skincare routine, but thanks to her i have learnt that you dont need to use loads to have nice skin and my skincare routine is now minimal- i literally use 2 or 3 products now and my skin is the best it has ever been. :)
She is like a double espresso but I find her really likeable and she always says if something us or isn't vegan or cruelty free. She doesn't just do high end or drug store and really goes into detail about ingredients.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
She is like a double espresso but I find her really likeable and she always says if something us or isn't vegan or cruelty free. She doesn't just do high end or drug store and really goes into detail about ingredients.
Funnily enough, i really didnt like her when she was just a beauty youtuber. I found her makeup tit and i just didnt like her personality. But since she moved away from makeup and concentrated more on skincare, i really like her. I trust her, and she clearly knows what she is talking about, and i love her reaction videos- even when she doesnt agree with it, she is always respectful and doesnt put others down. :)

I'm using The Inkey List HA: it's the first one I've tried and I like it. It seems to give my moisturiser a bit of a boost and goes well with other serums and stuff I throw on from time to time.
Interested to know if anyone else has an opinion of it, good or bad!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Hada Labo HA, The Ordinary retinol. Not actually using rose water at the moment but I used to use a nice one from Jurlique I think they were called?

• Heart
This thread is fab! What brands of HA, retinol & Rose water are people using?
I’ve just picked up Pestle and Mortar hyalauronic acid in TK Maxx - used it once and sinks in like a dream. Will continue and see how it goes. I really love the Inkey List’s polyglutamic acid though so I’ll be surprised if the HA performs better.

As for retinol, I’m currently using Medik8 crystal retinal 20 (worked my way up through 6 and 10). I adore it - no irritation whatsoever. I used tret for 3 months a couple of years ago and my face constantly peeled no matter how much I buffered so CR is my holy grail.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I now have dry skin which started a couple of years ago at aged 27 . I've tried every skin care product from expensive to cheap I've finally settled on this routine:
Nip fab glycolic acid pads are amazing ! I use the everyday ones once in morning and night.
The ordinary , AHA + BHA acid peel I use once a week or fortnight as it's very strong. My skin feels like a newborns afterwards 🤣.
My moisturiser is just Revitalift with SPF, ceravee eye cream and then Revita lift night cream.
It's a very cheap routine and my skin feels amazing and I've stopped having break outs. I do also have baby Botox but my skin condition is because of the routine.

• Heart
This thread is fab! What brands of HA, retinol & Rose water are people using?
HA - Hado Labo super hydrating lotion - white bottle (my holy grail)
Retinal - Medik8 crystal retinal 10, I’ve just started this as have been working my way up - did 6 twice.
Rose water that I have used but i’m not at the moment but I like this one off ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253509889492 - I love spraying this and then putting my Hado Labo HA on the damp skin!

I'm using The Inkey List HA: it's the first one I've tried and I like it. It seems to give my moisturiser a bit of a boost and goes well with other serums and stuff I throw on from time to time.
Interested to know if anyone else has an opinion of it, good or bad!
I quite liked the Inkey List HA but think there is better HA’s out there personally!

• Heart
Has anyone (who doesn’t sell them!) used & rate the Lumi Spa cleanser and products from Nu Skin at all? Can only ever find sellers who use it so seems disingenuous even though the before and after are impressive…

Has anyone (who doesn’t sell them!) used & rate the Lumi Spa cleanser and products from Nu Skin at all? Can only ever find sellers who use it so seems disingenuous even though the before and after are impressive…
I’ve not used it but have used a cleansing device before and personally wouldn’t recommend as double cleansing will do more for you if you invest in a good balm/oil and then a second cleanse using a cleanser for your skin type, lumi type devices can actually damage your skin barrier - a lot of skin practitioners/derms don’t actually recommend them

I would avoid those because as far as I know they’re mlm companies that sell them - someone will correct me if I’m wrong. But I wouldn’t buy anything from an mlm scheme.

I’ve got a Foreo luna though and I love it. However, I don’t use it every day, just a couple of times a week is plenty and it gives a lovely fresh, smooth feeling to my skin.

Reactions: 6
I would avoid those because as far as I know they’re mlm companies that sell them - someone will correct me if I’m wrong. But I wouldn’t buy anything from an mlm scheme.

I’ve got a Foreo luna though and I love it. However, I don’t use it every day, just a couple of times a week is plenty and it gives a lovely fresh, smooth feeling to my skin.
You are correct, it is MLM so i would avoid for that reason alone never mind the fact your skin does not need to be exfoliated like that every single day twice a day.

The foreo’s are nice, i have used one in the past and still have it, I do like it and don’t think they’re as harsh on your skin. I’d only use mine when i’d had spf n make up on and it’s been hot.

Just been reading this thread and it’s opening my eyes

I literally just cleanse, moisturise and spf and now I’m realising I should really start thinking more seriously about my routine. I don’t even know what half these words you’re all using mean 😭😭

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Just been reading this thread and it’s opening my eyes

I literally just cleanse, moisturise and spf and now I’m realising I should really start thinking more seriously about my routine. I don’t even know what half these words you’re all using mean 😭😭
Your routine is totally fine if you’re happy with it and it’s working for you. No need to go and buy loads of extra products to add in if you don’t need them. If you have a specific concern you want to address then perhaps you might want to add in an extra item, but otherwise I’d say you’re fine 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Your routine is totally fine if you’re happy with it and it’s working for you. No need to go and buy loads of extra products to add in if you don’t need them. If you have a specific concern you want to address then perhaps you might want to add in an extra item, but otherwise I’d say you’re fine 😊
Thanks, sadly it’s not I get redness, dryness and also bumps/small spots so I think I do need to address it. I just didn’t realise there was quite so many products out there!

Thanks, sadly it’s not I get redness, dryness and also bumps/small spots so I think I do need to address it. I just didn’t realise there was quite so many products out there!
Ok, so you still don’t need to go overboard in trying to address those issues. I’m far from an expert but perhaps your dryness can be addressed by trying a richer moisturiser? I don’t know what you’re currently using or what you’ve already tried, but you can perhaps look to see what’s available.

I’m sure someone here can recommend a gentle product for your redness and bumps - it may be rosacea. I hope you get sorted soon.

Ok, so you still don’t need to go overboard in trying to address those issues. I’m far from an expert but perhaps your dryness can be addressed by trying a richer moisturiser? I don’t know what you’re currently using or what you’ve already tried, but you can perhaps look to see what’s available.

I’m sure someone here can recommend a gentle product for your redness and bumps - it may be rosacea. I hope you get sorted soon.
Thank you, I hadn’t even considered it might be rosacea! But looking symptoms up it could be it, albeit mildly. Definitely helps point me in the right direction though especially when reading through this thread

Thank you, I hadn’t even considered it might be rosacea! But looking symptoms up it could be it, albeit mildly. Definitely helps point me in the right direction though especially when reading through this thread
Yep it definitely sounds like rosacea even if mildly - a doctor or derm can confirm it for you.
What moisturiser and cleanser do you use at the moment? Don’t go crazy adding things into your routine cos if what you do now works then if it ain’t broke etc - you can always target 1 concern with targeted products x

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.