90s fashion nostalgia

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Off the back of the makeup thread I thought we could discuss 90s fashion.

Some random memories:
Slip dresses with white t shirts underneath
Kangol hats
All tops cropped
Chipie trainers (I had maroon patent ones)
Satin full length skirts

Amanda de Cadanet and Courtney Love

Plus 90s Chanel ❤

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I always wanted Chipie trainers.i got a pair in Tk Maxx years later.

I remember wearing

Early 90s - rave dummy necklaces and platforms

A line short skirts

About 96 onwards - hipster and bootcut trousers ( like Kate Moss in her saying shirt , was that Gucci?)

Late 90s - I was a bit more alternative than high fashion, but it was combats like All Saints and Natalie Imbruglia. And accessories and a bindhi like Gwen Stefani.

I was into vintage then and raided my mother 's old stuff.

Reactions: 11
Plaid shirts over vest tops
Ribbed tops in jewel colours
Waist coats
Tank tops over grandad shirts with A line skirts and knee high socks
Long floral button through skirts and dresses
I also recall flouncy blouses with ruffles down the front
'Blossom' velvet hats
Slips as dresses, worn with doc martens
And let's not forget, shell suits, it wasn't all rosy

Reactions: 10
Ah I had those Chipie trainers in white! I absolutely loved them. 90s fashion is back in a big way, although I think that right now it does seem like anything goes. I’m old, and I remember a pair of jeans could tell you if someone was cool, so bootcut a few years ago were so outdated and everyone was in skinny jeans, but now I see all kinds around, skinny, massive flares, mom jeans. Just an observation for a Sunday morn 😂

Reactions: 7
I seriously want to get another long floral slip dress with a t shirt underneath for this summer!

Let’s also remember Naf Naf. I had this jacket and thought I was the tit

Oh and some kids had stuff with Spliffy on.

Not sure if it was a trend anywhere else but round here you had to have a black puffer jacket with brown suede shoulders. The bin man look

Who else had platform school shoes from Dolcis?!

And a Swatch watch.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I had those trousers with a wrap around skirt around it. I was really fond of them! I had a pair with Chinese letters

Infact a lot of my clothes in the late 90s had some sort of Chinese print or were Chinese inspired for that matter!

Pastel coloured denim jackets - I had a lilac one! Usually worn with a co-ordinated skir

I had a Spliffy coat (hand me down one in primary school!) and a Hypercolour T-shirt!

Sling back platform school shoes from Shoe Express.

The Geri Halliwell Union Jack dress - Albeit I never owned one but I longed for one!

Kookai shopping bag for my PE kit when I started high school.

Late 90’s/early 00s I went wannabe gangsta. Wore fake Evisu and Rocawear stuff. Upgraded to shiny silvery denim jackets. Wore lots of huge metalware rapper chains that cost about a tenner each from the market sometimes all at once or a dummy on a lanyard. Along with tooth gems and random patterned leggings - more Chinese writing, printed on patchwork or even newspaper print! Knee to ankle length Duvet coats were a thing back then too!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Bootcut jeans/trousers , shiny satin shirts, pedal pushers 😅 I had some platform sandals from miss selfridge like the baby spice ones, felt like the absolute tit in them.

It’s so weird how 90s fashion is back and I see teens wearing the tit we wore, it’s like being in some sort of time warp but I’m old 😂 their make up and hair is always better though. If you’re gonna do 90s you need some badly matched foundation, roll on glitter and all the other stuff we’ve been discussing in the make up nostalgia thread, come on now!!!! 😂

also butterfly hair clips!!! The trousers will built in skirts over 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: 13
I seriously want to get another long floral slip dress with a t shirt underneath for this summer!

Let’s also remember Naf Naf. I had this jacket and thought I was the tit

Oh and some kids had stuff with Spliffy on.

Not sure if it was a trend anywhere else but round here you had to have a black puffer jacket with brown suede shoulders. The bin man look

Who else had platform school shoes from Dolcis?!

And a Swatch watch.
My mum wouldn’t pay for Naf Naf for me so I had Naff Co54 off the market 😩

and a Campri ski jacket, black with the logo in fluorescent colours down the arm.

And numerous shell suits, again, off the market

I’m sure I could sue her now for child neglect or something!😂

LA Trainers with the laces tied behind the tongue so the tongue stuck up massively

Reactions: 7
Fila Cage trainers. They were hideous, really wide, usually black and red with a “cage” at the back. Every boy had a pair.

Bootcut jeans/trousers , shiny satin shirts, pedal pushers 😅 I had some platform sandals from miss selfridge like the baby spice ones, felt like the absolute tit in them.

It’s so weird how 90s fashion is back and I see teens wearing the tit we wore, it’s like being in some sort of time warp but I’m old 😂 their make up and hair is always better though. If you’re gonna do 90s you need some badly matched foundation, roll on glitter and all the other stuff we’ve been discussing in the make up nostalgia thread, come on now!!!! 😂

also butterfly hair clips!!! The trousers will built in skirts over 🤣
I see a lot of teens these days wearing those tight colourful cropped “kids” T-shirts with piped hems and a small logo like a carebear or similar. The exact same ones we had in our era. They scream 90s!

Bootcut leggings that go right over trainers too!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
My mum wouldn’t pay for Naf Naf for me so I had Naff Co54 off the market 😩

and a Campri ski jacket, black with the logo in fluorescent colours down the arm.

And numerous shell suits, again, off the market

I’m sure I could sue her now for child neglect or something!😂

LA Trainers with the laces tied behind the tongue so the tongue stuck up massively
We couldn’t really afford Naf Naf either, I think I had to have the jacket for Xmas. Most people had Naff Co.

Trainers were massive in the 90s too. I always lusted after these in this colour but we couldn’t afford them. I finally got my dream trainers 2 years ago and every time I see them 13 year old me is so happy!

The OG black Air Jordan’s and Nike Huarache were massive too. And Reebok Pumps!

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I think they were called tennis dresses, like a polo shirt dress. I loved them. Glittery high heeled jelly sandals too with the pretty white ankle socks. Had a few of the dresses with t shirts under. Then early 00’s with jeans that didn’t have a waistband and were so low you could flash your thong that usually had some picture or writing on the back. Now I need high waisted to hold my stomach up and in 🙄🤦🏻‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 6
As a tween and young teen I used to sport the hideous NAFF co54 bin bag style jacket, but a knockoff from the market. Nike trainers were a must have, but my Mum used to buy me Gola, which were really unfashionable then! I saved up my pocket money for some Nike. Those various necklaces that were pendants on black cord were fashionable then. I thought I was the business in my NAFF t-shirt, jeans, nikes and silly necklace. All from Claires Accessories and hideously overpriced rubbish. Dummies were fashionable too, but as young tweens and teens most of us had no idea it stemmed from those at rave parties on Es that needed something to keep their mouths busy.

Reactions: 4
Can’t talk about 90s fashion without mentioning these bad boys 😍
2B466D33-47A6-47E2-A4FB-7BA0E8FA80E0.jpeg
these are a much fancier pair than I ever had but you get the idea

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
I was too fat for the strappy dresses and cropped tops! Lived in indie band tshirts with too long flared jeans or combats. Paired with Vans or Airwalk trainers and a miniature backpack. Had a brief dalliance with the "hippy" shops with the skirts with mirrors on, the massive woven hoodies and the patchwork trousers. And a black and red Kurt Cobain jumper that my mum knitted me!

I was thinking of the skirt over dresses the other day ...one trend l hope doesn't make a comeback!