9 month old baby suddenly waking for night feeds

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Exhausted mom looking for a bit of advice please.... sorry if its a long one.

My daughter is 9.5 months. In the beginning she was always a good sleeper, doing 5 hour stretches within a couple of weeks and then doing 12 hours from around 2 months old. I was BF (although she always had formula before bed) and I'd wake up so engorged and she would just guzzle every last drop of milk in the morning.

We hit a sleep regression at about 5 months and everything went out the window. We would occasionally offer a night feed during this time but mostly just to feel like we were doing something and it wasn't every night.

We got through that and she started sleeping through again. This was OK for a week or two and then she started waking up in the night hungry.

Sometimes she's too tired to drink much at bedtime so I thought I'd start offering a dream feed before I go to bed.

She goes down anywhere between 6pm and 7pm. I started offering a dream feed her at around 9.30pm and was drinking it all and sleeping through.

Fast forward a couple of weeks, she's still taking the dream feed (and in fact she wakes up crying with hunger if I'm late with it) and she also wakes up at 4am hungry. She's literally feeding more than she did when she was 2 months old and I'm just totally knackered, and worried about when I go back to work (although my partner and I will split the nights then, he just helps on weekends now and even then he doesn't hear her so I have to tell him to go).

I'm just wondering if anyone else experienced this? I thought babies drank less as they got older and had more food. I know some babies always want a night feed but I am just surprised that after not having one for months she now wants two.

I spoke the HV a couple of weeks ago and she told me my baby should have at least 20oz of formula a day. At the time, she was having around four 5oz bottles a day so we just hitting that, but her appetite has really increased in the last fortnight.

She has:

7.30am breakfast
9.30am 5oz bottle
12.30pm lunch
2pm 5oz bottle
4pm occasional snack if she seems really hungry (not everyday)
5pm dinner
6pm 5 or 6oz bottle
9.30pm 5 or 6oz bottle
4am 5 or 6oz bottle

So at least 25oz a day, plus 3 meals and the occasional snack. I feel like this is too much? And it seems to be increasing instead of decreasig... should I be offering more food?

Have I created a monster by offering her the dream feed as she now expects it?

I will call the HV but I feel like they just read the NHS website out to you which says no snacks until they're a year. Her meals are already pretty big to be honest, although mostly bulked out with fruits and veggies.

She's not a huge baby, born on 90th centile but has stayed around the 70th ever since. She's tall more than chubby.

Thanks so much in advance

Can you up his day bottles over 5oz? Will he take more than that volume?

Honestly it sounds really normal, I have two 18 months old and some nights they wake for milk other nights they don't it's been like this since they were around 4 months old

I was still feeding my daughter around 3 times a night when she was 18 months old. I personally would continue feeding her through the night if that’s what she wants for now and then I would night wean her at 12 months. If she wakes in the night I would try and offer water instead. In regards to the bottles personally I would cut down to 3 bottles a day and maybe upping them volume slightly so she’s not having them as frequently so she gets used to going longer between milk feeds. So you could do a morning bottle, midday bottle and bedtime bottle. And then once she is 12 months you could cut down to morning and bedtime. So she gets used to not having them as frequent but is still having enough milk. Sleep deprivation is so tough and I think what makes it harder is you only expect to be sleep deprived whilst they’re a newborn! A lot of people think that when they’re older they should be sleeping through but honestly this isn’t always the case. Just because they can sleep through the night doesn’t mean they do!! Mine never did until I weaned them off milk completely. It could also be she’s waking for milk for comfort but like I say I wouldn’t night wean her off milk until she is 1 years old. Hope this helps x

Can you up his day bottles over 5oz? Will he take more than that volume?

Honestly it sounds really normal, I have two 18 months old and some nights they wake for milk other nights they don't it's been like this since they were around 4 months old
At the moment she won't take more than 5oz but I think maybe I'll try making bigger ones and then taking a break before offering the rest.
---
I was still feeding my daughter around 3 times a night when she was 18 months old. I personally would continue feeding her through the night if that’s what she wants for now and then I would night wean her at 12 months. If she wakes in the night I would try and offer water instead. In regards to the bottles personally I would cut down to 3 bottles a day and maybe upping them volume slightly so she’s not having them as frequently so she gets used to going longer between milk feeds. So you could do a morning bottle, midday bottle and bedtime bottle. And then once she is 12 months you could cut down to morning and bedtime. So she gets used to not having them as frequent but is still having enough milk. Sleep deprivation is so tough and I think what makes it harder is you only expect to be sleep deprived whilst they’re a newborn! A lot of people think that when they’re older they should be sleeping through but honestly this isn’t always the case. Just because they can sleep through the night doesn’t mean they do!! Mine never did until I weaned them off milk completely. It could also be she’s waking for milk for comfort but like I say I wouldn’t night wean her off milk until she is 1 years old. Hope this helps x
Thank you, it's reassuring to know its not just me! All of my friends babies are moving towards sleeping through and my baby is going in reverse 🙈
I will try and offer three bigger bottles but she often refuses after she's down 5oz. I think as she was breastfed for 7.5 months she's just still a snacker lol.

Thanks both for your advice, I appreciate it

At the moment she won't take more than 5oz but I think maybe I'll try making bigger ones and then taking a break before offering the rest.
---

Thank you, it's reassuring to know its not just me! All of my friends babies are moving towards sleeping through and my baby is going in reverse 🙈
I will try and offer three bigger bottles but she often refuses after she's down 5oz. I think as she was breastfed for 7.5 months she's just still a snacker lol.

Thanks both for your advice, I appreciate it
Makes me think she’s feeding for comfort then, if she’s not hungry I would try offering her water instead. Yes it definitely feels like that but honestly I think it’s more normal for babies to wake up still at this age then to be sleeping through. Still doesn’t make you feel better cos all you want to do is sleep! My daughter didn’t sleep through until she was around 2. It’s so hard I know. X

We had this!!
To me it sounds like she’s waking out of habit for that food. I’d personally drop the dream feed. She will cry for a few days, just comfort and resettle her, but stand strong and she’ll stop waking.

I’d also up her day time milk, even just 1/1.5oz extra per bottle, so she gets those calories in the day and not night.

We had this!!
To me it sounds like she’s waking out of habit for that food. I’d personally drop the dream feed. She will cry for a few days, just comfort and resettle her, but stand strong and she’ll stop waking.

I’d also up her day time milk, even just 1/1.5oz extra per bottle, so she gets those calories in the day and not night.
Thank you! Last night she had dinner at 5pm and then a bottle at 6.30, 9.30, midnight, and 4am 😂
She's like a newborn bless her. I'll try phasing out the dream feed and seeing if she'll take more in the day.
At bedtime tonight she had 7oz and then woke up really screaming at 9pm so she had 4oz then.... daddy is on duty tonight so no doubt she'll sleep through

Thank you! Last night she had dinner at 5pm and then a bottle at 6.30, 9.30, midnight, and 4am 😂
She's like a newborn bless her. I'll try phasing out the dream feed and seeing if she'll take more in the day.
At bedtime tonight she had 7oz and then woke up really screaming at 9pm so she had 4oz then.... daddy is on duty tonight so no doubt she'll sleep through
Im lying awake after my bubs just screamed the house down…. Wondering how you’re getting on? :)

Im lying awake after my bubs just screamed the house down…. Wondering how you’re getting on? :)
Oh bless you! My daughter has been waking up at 10pm ish and then 2am then 6am which is obviously fine for morning.

Last night I gave her a dream feed around 9pm and then she woke up at 2am, but I decided to just pick her up and see what happened. She fell back to sleep until 5.30am!

I'm thinking she is waking for comfort in the night so I'm going to see how we go with just offering cuddles in the wee hours.... I keep debating sleep training but I just don't think I have it in me.

Oh bless you! My daughter has been waking up at 10pm ish and then 2am then 6am which is obviously fine for morning.

Last night I gave her a dream feed around 9pm and then she woke up at 2am, but I decided to just pick her up and see what happened. She fell back to sleep until 5.30am!

I'm thinking she is waking for comfort in the night so I'm going to see how we go with just offering cuddles in the wee hours.... I keep debating sleep training but I just don't think I have it in me.
We did sleep training- not Cry it out- but controlled crying.
If he was crying, I’d rate it and if it was over 6/10 I’d go in and reassure him with a kiss and whisper, ‘it’s time to sleep’ and leave the room. If he was still crying, I’d wait 2 minutes then do the same again… then 3 minutes.. 4 minutes etc, upto 10 minutes.
If he started to settle I’d restart the clock back to 2 minutes and go again until he fell asleep.
it took 3 days, and we now get 12 hours (except last night as he’s poorly).
It feels horrific in the moment, but looking back it really wasn’t that bad. It’s just hearing them cry, our natural instinct is to comfort them.

You’ll get there, and there is no hurry at all. X

We did sleep training- not Cry it out- but controlled crying.
If he was crying, I’d rate it and if it was over 6/10 I’d go in and reassure him with a kiss and whisper, ‘it’s time to sleep’ and leave the room. If he was still crying, I’d wait 2 minutes then do the same again… then 3 minutes.. 4 minutes etc, upto 10 minutes.
If he started to settle I’d restart the clock back to 2 minutes and go again until he fell asleep.
it took 3 days, and we now get 12 hours (except last night as he’s poorly).
It feels horrific in the moment, but looking back it really wasn’t that bad. It’s just hearing them cry, our natural instinct is to comfort them.

You’ll get there, and there is no hurry at all. X
Thank you, I think we will try it once I know she's not waking for milk in the night. She's been teething recently so I just keep finding reasons not to try it, even though I know it works really well!
We've given it a half hearted try before and the biggest problem we found was that she expects to be picked up when she cries and its really hard to settle her without picking her up. Did you find this hard?
We tried the pick up put down method before Christmas in the midst of a really bad sleep regression but it made her furious 🙈
I think she was really confused about why we were putting her down so quickly and not giving the usual level of comfort.

Thank you, I think we will try it once I know she's not waking for milk in the night. She's been teething recently so I just keep finding reasons not to try it, even though I know it works really well!
We've given it a half hearted try before and the biggest problem we found was that she expects to be picked up when she cries and its really hard to settle her without picking her up. Did you find this hard?
We tried the pick up put down method before Christmas in the midst of a really bad sleep regression but it made her furious 🙈
I think she was really confused about why we were putting her down so quickly and not giving the usual level of comfort.
Oh yes, my son was furious we weren’t picking him up, but honestly, he got used to it really quickly.
it’s hard to hear them crying, but it’s just their way of communicating.
We have teething hell right now.

Oh yes, my son was furious we weren’t picking him up, but honestly, he got used to it really quickly.
it’s hard to hear them crying, but it’s just their way of communicating.
We have teething hell right now.
I know bless them, crying is all they have isn't it. I've been reading that all studies have shown crying doesn't do them any harm. It's tough though.
Teething hell doesn't sound nice for any of you, is it the molars?
We've not had it too bad so far with 6 teeth at the front but I've heard the back ones are hideous. Hope things improve soon x