Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Irrch

Chatty Member
Loads of washing powder tablets, cleaning supplies and toiletries ! Because when you are shopping on a budget those things come last

GiggleBee

VIP Member
Not sure if you have an ikea near you but that had a student kitchen set at mine the other week. Full of everything a student would need for a kitchen, it looked brilliant.

Impleo

VIP Member
Eldest is off. Any tips on what to take? Self-catered halls of residence. He thought he was going to take the train with a rucksack, I told him otherwise. Where he is going is colder than where we live. It's 5 hours away, so he won't be coming home term time.

If I give him too much, he'll lose it or leave it on his floor. Any ideas for the bare necessities?

All I have so far are:

Duvet, pillow, covers etc
Bath mat, towels.
Laundry bag
Plates, bowls, few tupperware boxes (he uses those at home), cheap cutlery.

He tends to make his meals in one pan. I was never in halls, do they share a fridge, how is it compartmentalised?

Youtubegossip

VIP Member
Well if someone isn't up to buttering toast, I don't think a jar of sumac will ever be used ;)

I'd leave a note about budgeting and how long the student loan needs to last and no coming running if you spend it early. But I'm mean. The people I knew that got bailed out never learnt, the ones that had to live off smart price 4p noodles for a month did :D
😂😂😂 my old housemate used to have ran out of her three month loan the week it came in. We both had jobs as well though so she muddled through

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
learning to cook is one of those rights of passage at uni. They don’t have a choice so they will work it out! Might not be the most desirable food to ever grace the earth but it will be edible and they won’t starve!! 👍

newtoyou

VIP Member
I was in self catered halls (a good few years ago now!). I didnt have any issues with ppl stealing food but I was lucky with my housemates. We all had a shelf on the fridge and a cupboard each in the kitchen (decided between us).

A toaster and kettle came with the kitchen.

- I'd also add a collander if he likes his pasta (though he could easily drain it with the lid).
- Cleaning stuff if he's got an ensuite
- Depending on how particular he is about hygiene (or if he doesnt eat meat), he might want his own dish scourer

emmer_moans

VIP Member
Take a heavy duty laundry bag because chances are they would need to carry laundry down stairs, corridors, across courtyards etc to get to the washer dryers. I broke many a bag until I got my act together. Typically a kitchen in halls would mean you get a shelf each in the fridge, and freezer, and cupboard. I recommend keeping dry stuffs like cereal in the bedroom, some uni flatmates are great and all cook meals together, and some just wanna do their own thing. I didn't experience it but friends did find some of their snacks went missing. Keep the expensive stuff in room (protein powders if applicable).